CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bentonite Clay

+21
CocaColaCutie
makeupvixen
CurlyMo
SisterBoyd
LuvMeLuvMyFro
BreezyBaby
jamaicacurl
Peggy
xtremelyperfect
nmoultry
savvybrown
msqueenie
AfrikanLatina
Intelligentbeauty
CurlySpeechTherapist
maysay
yokiedokie
dajewel
labon10
Moni
sewdope
25 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Bentonite Clay - Page 4 Empty Re: Bentonite Clay

Post by naturallynola 23rd October 2010, 9:04 pm

Well, I had my 1st Bentonite Clay experience Tuesday and I wanted to share my process, observations, and lessons learned. Several companies make it and probably the most common here in the states is Indian Aztec. Can be found at WF, Vitamin Shoppe, Mountain Rose, Amazon.com, and several other places.

Here is the mineral composition of the clay: Silica- 61.4%
Aluminum- 18.1%
Iron- 3.5%
Sodium- 2.3%
Magnesium- 1.7%
Calcium- 0.04%
Titanium- 0.02%
Potassium- 0.01%
Moisture- 7.8%

My process: Olive Oil rinse followed by a homemade moisture masque with bananas, honey, and coconut oil, and a little yogurt). Rinsed out this moisturizing conditioner. On wet, unwashed hair, I applied the masque, which was clay powder mixed with distilled water. I applied it to the scalp and hair. Left it on about 30 minutes. Did not let the clay completely dry. Rinsed it out, and conditioned with AO White Camellia Conditioner for 45 minutes with a warm towel, rinsed, added Kimmaytube leave-in, braided and that was it.

Some people may use an application brush or some other tool, but I just used my hands. Its just mud and it washes off easily with warm water. Get a towel you don't care much about and t-shirt, but again its just mud.

Observations: I intentionally applied to unwashed hair b/c the clarifying effects was one of my reasons for using it. It did a good job clarifying; however, there was one area around my forehead where I usually try different products that had a half-dime size build-up that was attached to the scalp. My original thought was to mix with ACV instead of water, but my skin is very sensitive ordinarily and I had a couple of scratches on my scalp and didn't want to risk acid on open skin. Other than that, the clarifying was thorough. My hair regained its lustre. Softness was absolutely unbelievable. My hair doesn't feel that soft when rinsing out conditioner. It was amazing. Now I see why some people commented on various sites that they started to bypass conditioning. Immediately I noticed my hair seemed stronger. This was the biggest reason I tried this treatment. It is difficult for me to get adequate protein internally, so I was looking for some help externally. While applying the mask, during the rinse session, after rinsing, and while braiding, the curl definition was at another level, EXCEPT in 2 areas of my head where the curls were loosened silent So, I will begin researching why the loosening. Ordinarily, these are areas with GREAT definition. Magnesium Sulfate is a known curl enhancer, so the definition I expected. I will peruse the other ingredients for a clue. Anywho, the immediate dryness and the dryness a few days out that many report, I had non of that. I rinsed until my hands felt like they were falling off. So, I got all the clay out. And I probably did overkill with respect to conditioning/moisturizing. So, to recap - curl definition, curl loosening, clarification, shine, softness. So, mission accomplished.

On another note, you will read and see people putting all kinds of things, i.e., coconut milk, oil, marshmallow root, etc. in the mix. I did none of this because analytically, I couldn't process doing these things. I definitely understand that people don't want dry, tangled hair, but my thinking was if the clay will clarify, then it will remove everything and maybe I would just be wasting my money. So, I didn't add anything except what the directions told me to add. I have an email to Mountain Rose Herb's lab and Anita Grant. I tried to call Indian Aztec, since that is the brand I purchased, but they close at noon on FRiday and won't be in until Tuesday. I am waiting for answers to the question of adding extras. Since I could not get any immediate answers yesterday, I emailed the lab at "NOW Foods," as they also distribute a bentonite clay product and this was the response:

The clay is absorbant and will absorb some of the oils and ayurvedic herbal properties that are mixed with it without itself being effected by the additions. Better to use the clay first.

Thank you for your inquiry,
NOW Science & Nutrition Group

Lessons learned: Mix this stuff with very warm water. I did not see that on the packaging and I mixed with cold water (common sense probably should have told me better). The directions say to stir until it is smooth. Well, that was not happening with cold water. So, finally, I heated some water and poured it in. This brings me to my 2nd lesson learned. Now, there is too much liquid. So, then I had to add more clay powder. Anyway, the masque was a little too wet and I had to leave it on longer.

I plan to use clay once a month. After I finish the Bentonite, I want to try the Rhassoul because it is suppose to have a higher percentage of MgSo4, so I expect the curl definition to be enhanced.

For my next Bentonite exp., I may add Amla or another ingredient that will counteract the loosening of the curl--depending on further research. I will see if adding a little more MgSo4 is possible.

I will update when I get the responses I am waiting on. Lots of people have different opinions. I seek more technical answers.

I hope my experience is in some way helpful to someone.

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by MissyCee 11th November 2010, 11:34 am

Just got some for my face yesterday and boy was it tingling. I lasted 30 minutes. Never thought to use it on my hair too. Might try that this weekend......... Thanks ladies.
MissyCee
MissyCee

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 11th November 2010, 5:40 pm

MissyCee - I use it on my face too. I love it. Great way to remove the toxins and cheap too!

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by MissyCee 11th November 2010, 11:39 pm

Ok naturalnolagirl, I will try this weekend. I don't plan to mix with much other than water, but I do plan to condition. Hope it doesn't tingle as much as it did on my face. Might not be able to take it.
MissyCee
MissyCee

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 12th November 2010, 12:32 am

I only mixed with water. I did not have much tingling of my scalp, but I do each time I use it on my face. This weekend I will give my feet and trick. These girls deserve a break!

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by MissyCee 15th November 2010, 1:46 pm

I tried it on my hair. Nice and soft afterwards. I did mix with warm water, castor oil and jojoba oil. Rinsed out very well. Nice curls popping all over afterwards. I deep conditioned with HHH and Motions Tripple action Leave in Conditioner, didn't want to mix or buy anything, trying to use what I have versus buying something else, anyway, I put a plastic cap on and walked around and watched tv for an hour then rinsed and used my Kinky Curly products. I must say I loved the results. And today I just moistened my hair and added my products and it's still very curly. Maybe I'm getting the hang of this. I plan to use this once a month on my hair and if I can stand it, weekly on my face.
MissyCee
MissyCee

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 15th November 2010, 5:39 pm

MissyCee I am so glad you are pleased. I am curious to know about the added the oils. The Bentonite detoxifies, so it just lifts the oils off the hair with everything else. I am trying the Rhassoul clay next. It is similar, I will let you know how that worked.

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by SisterBoyd 15th November 2010, 10:55 pm

I've been using the bentonite clay for some time now and from my experience using just the clay and water is a bit drying - at least for me. Adding other ingredients helps with any dryness afterwards. IMO its not different then adding oils and the like to a shampoo.

I did my clay treatment a few weeks ago and instead of using greek yogurt I used coconut water. This was the first time I didn't have an issue with dryness afterwards. I still mixed the clay with ACV, honey, and my mix of oils - the only difference was the coconut water. I'm quite pleased with my results Wink
SisterBoyd
SisterBoyd

https://www.youtube.com/sisterboyd, www.blackplanet.com/sisterboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4