CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

what are YOU mixing??

+21
Takeya
Madeaj
DreamMerchant
BlondeByDesire
1FlySista
naturallyme09
LadyMika
belleaenca
veebaby87
Hazelbabe
exhale1913
shortnsweet
PaganWifey
blkbeauty2010
urbancoils
kelleemudiva
ladygogohot
letha
laleepop14
krazy coils
DerbyDiva
25 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

what are YOU mixing?? - Page 2 Empty Re: what are YOU mixing??

Post by kelleemudiva 18th November 2010, 3:02 pm

Here is a couple of recipes that I found interesting. I think I'll try the growth oil.

http://moptopmaven.blogspot.com/2010/07/calling-all-mixtresses-few-of-my.html
kelleemudiva
kelleemudiva

Back to top Go down

Post by exhale1913 18th November 2010, 3:59 pm

DerbyDiva wrote:@exhale thank you for the info! i will def be taking this into account with my hair regimen! i dont usually buy this kind with the placenta, i like the kind with shea butter &mango, but this was all they had at the time i purchased. i get better results with the shea &mango so ill be buying that one from now on!

i have become recently aware of the affects of estrogen on pre-menopausal women so i am so glad you posted this! i will be avoiding placenta from now on, especially since it doesnt do anything for my hair that other ingredients cant do!

Girl, you are soooo welcome!! I've started becoming more and more educated on this as well. I have young daughters and the latest news story about black girls hitting puberty at 6 and 7 FREAKED me out!!! I try to tell everyone that I know!!
exhale1913
exhale1913

Back to top Go down

Post by DerbyDiva 19th November 2010, 4:18 am

exhale1913 wrote:
Girl, you are soooo welcome!! I've started becoming more and more educated on this as well. I have young daughters and the latest news story about black girls hitting puberty at 6 and 7 FREAKED me out!!! I try to tell everyone that I know!!

Shocked puberty at 6 & 7??? i didnt even start menstruating until 13, dang near 14!!! wth?!?! see this i why i caint have kids. whew, idk WHAT i would do with a 6 y/o menstruating!! thats crazy! and i had no idea about the breast cancer thing! thanks for puttin us up on knowledge again!
DerbyDiva
DerbyDiva

http://www.twitter.com/Venus_Arising

Back to top Go down

Post by veebaby87 22nd November 2010, 8:30 pm

i learned also that my hair hates protein it loves moisture instead do i tried curlymae's 3pt it involves rosewater and veggie glycerin (whole foods)pt 1, i use avacado oil and sweet orange EO( whole foods)pt 2 and EVCO, GTSB, and Jason's AVG ( whole foods)pt 3 i substuted pt 2 because thats what i already had and my hair loved it!!!! this will become a staple of mine!!!
veebaby87
veebaby87

Back to top Go down

Post by belleaenca 23rd November 2010, 4:47 pm

On Sat (11/20) I mixed a butter moisturizer for winter. I mixed organic raw shea and mango butters with EVCO, jojoba oil, tea tree (as natuaral preserve), EO: lemon, rosemary, cedarwood, and lavender for hair growth (my hair in the front thinned out from chemical damage and I'm working on regrowing it) and lastly a wonderful lavender vanilla botanical scent I found that smells divine!!!

After putting my leave-in, I sealed with my new butter and my hair reacted to it quite well. (Maintaining well moisturized hair is a challenge for me bc I have really fine and overly porous hair)...BUT I think I have finally found my staple moisturizer. I didn't have to re-apply until yesterday, Monday and only because I didn't want my hair to experience total dryness before applying moisturizer again; but I'm pretty sure I could have gone another day...

I've read that well-moisturized natural hair is supposed to feel cottony, but I had not yet experienced that. No matter the oils, leave-in conditioners, oil pre-poo I tried, my hair would not stay moisturized longer than a day. By second day my hair would feel wirey with an ashy hue to it... that has FINALLY changed!! With my mix, my natural hair feels cottony soft (the relax part feels like silk, amazingly soft but not greasy), it looks moistiruzed and it doesn't feel wirey at all...I am very pleased. dance

belleaenca

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMika 29th November 2010, 12:31 pm

I mixed Shea-loe the other day (I always mix shea butter--can't live without the stuff. drunken ). Here is the recipe:

1/2 lb raw unrefined shea butter
1 cup aloe vera gel*
3 tblsp of coconut oil*
Castor oil*
Sweet almond oil*
Clary Sage, Lavender, Rosemary, Orange essential oils. (10-15 drops, 20 of the orange for the scent.)

*I typically eyeball the amounts of these, but the amounts of the coconut oil and aloe vera gel should be enough without giving you too watery of a mix. I usually follow the same recipe but without aloe vera gel in the winter. But I said "screw it" since I'll be wearing my hair in twists/braids and covered most of the season. It's also really good for your skin. Smile

That is all. Laughing
LadyMika
LadyMika

http://metalkink.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallyme09 4th December 2010, 10:14 pm

belleaenca wrote:On Sat (11/20) I mixed a butter moisturizer for winter. I mixed organic raw shea and mango butters with EVCO, jojoba oil, tea tree (as natuaral preserve), EO: lemon, rosemary, cedarwood, and lavender for hair growth (my hair in the front thinned out from chemical damage and I'm working on regrowing it) and lastly a wonderful lavender vanilla botanical scenOt I found that smells divine!!!

After putting my leave-in, I sealed with my new butter and my hair reacted to it quite well. (Maintaining well moisturized hair is a challenge for me bc I have really fine and overly porous hair)...BUT I think I have finally found my staple moisturizer. I didn't have to re-apply until yesterday, Monday and only because I didn't want my hair to experience total dryness before applying moisturizer again; but I'm pretty sure I could have gone another day...

I've read that well-moisturized natural hair is supposed to feel cottony, but I had not yet experienced that. No matter the oils, leave-in conditioners, oil pre-poo I tried, my hair would not stay moisturized
longer than a day. By second day my hair would feel wirey with an ashy hue to it... that has FINALLY !! With my mix, my natural hair feels cottony soft (the relax part feels
like silk, amazingly soft but not greasy), it looks moistiruzed
and it doesn't feel wirey at all...I am very pleased. dance

Hi I am glad your mix works so well. Would you please post your measurements?
naturallyme09
naturallyme09

Back to top Go down

Post by 1FlySista 4th December 2010, 11:38 pm

Deep Conditioner:
1 Small Avocado or half of Large
1 Large Jar of Banana baby food
1/4 cup of Agave Nectar or raw honey
1/2 cup of Suave Professionals Almond & Shea butter conditioner
2 Tbs. EVOO or Avocado oil
2 Tbs. 100% Aloe vera gel

Moisturizing Spritz:
1 cup of Fiji bottled water
1/3 cup of 100% Vegetable glycerin
1 vial of Roux Fermodyl 619 Regular Strength leave-in conditioner
1/4 cup of 100% Aloe Vera gel
3 Tbs. Setting lotion
2 Tbs. Coconut oil
1 Tbs. Safflower
1 Tbs. Castor oil
1 Tbs. EVOO or Avocado oil
1 tsp. Vitamin E oil
1 tsp. Mango Mandarin fragrance oil

Last edited by 1FlySista on 12th February 2011, 1:15 am; edited 7 times in total
1FlySista
1FlySista

http://www.goddyssey.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by belleaenca 7th December 2010, 7:49 pm

@naturallyme09 - first, luv your curls! Are you still transitioning (can't really tell from your avatar), if so, how long? I'm 9 months now and planning to bc @ one yr mark Smile

I was planning on using 1 cup of the raw shea butter, 1/2 cup of the mango butter...but I decided to soften the shea first and I turned back to it for a second and it had started to melt, which will then render it useless...so in my efforts to save my mix I ended using about a cup and half of shea, 3/4 cup of mango butter, 1/3 cup of extra virgin coconut oil and jojoba oil, @ 8 drops of tea trea oil, @ 10 drops each of rosemary, lemon, lavender and cerdarwood essential oils and lavender vanilla for fragrance (I didn't measure the lavender vanilla but I used it sparingly because it's a tiny tiny bottle and its ridiculously expensive). The essential oils I use for hair growth, and the rosemary is strong which can overpower the other smells in the mix but I really like it so I don't mind it.

If you try it, let me know how you like it Smile

belleaenca

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallyme09 7th December 2010, 10:15 pm

belleaenca wrote:@naturallyme09 - first, luv your curls! Are you still transitioning (can't really tell from your avatar), if so, how long? I'm 9 months now and planning to bc @ one yr mark Smile

I was planning on using 1 cup of the raw shea butter, 1/2 cup of the mango butter...but I decided to soften the shea first and I turned back to it for a second and it had started to melt, which will then render it useless...so in my efforts to save my mix I ended using about a cup and half of shea, 3/4 cup of mango butter, 1/3 cup of extra virgin coconut oil and jojoba oil, @ 8 drops of tea trea oil, @ 10 drops each of rosemary, lemon, lavender and cerdarwood essential oils and lavender vanilla for fragrance (I didn't measure the lavender vanilla but I used it sparingly because it's a tiny tiny bottle and its ridiculously expensive). The essential oils I use for hair growth, and the rosemary is strong which can overpower the other smells in the mix but I really like it so I don't mind it.

If you try it, let me know how you like it Smile

@belleaenca Thanks for the compliment and posting your recipe. I am still transitioning (half/half). It's been 14 months. I plan to continue transitioning long term.
naturallyme09
naturallyme09

Back to top Go down

Post by BlondeByDesire 8th December 2010, 6:48 pm

Those of you in colder climates ... are you still using veggie glycerine? It's cold here in Charlotte right now - I haven't tested it out since it's been cold about taking moisture out of the hair.
BlondeByDesire
BlondeByDesire

Back to top Go down

Post by DerbyDiva 16th December 2010, 4:34 am

I made a new leave-in y'all! I mixed HE hello hydration (first time I purchased, LOVE the scent!) about 3 seconds of squirting *this is how I measure lol*, 5 drops of peppermint oil, about 2 seconds of grapeseed oil and a 1:1 ratio of aloe vera juice & water to fill up the rest of a 5 oz spray bottle. Shake to mix and spray all over damp freshly cleansed hair. *note: I DC'ed on dry hair before hand. I then two strand twisted my hair sealing with EVCO. Can we say shiny, soft &moisturized?! I may have been a little heavy handed with the EVCO, but I figured I needed it since my hair was drying out a bit from the cold *indecisive* air. The best thing though, was the smell, it was awesome!! The scent of the conditioner mixed with the mint was glorious! And the EVCO just added to it! Sounds like a lot of scents competeing, but the mint really complemented the conditioner & the EVCO was so light that you can just barely catch a hint of it in the undertones. I put my mix in the fridge since it has water &aloe vera juice. This will be a staple for a while!
DerbyDiva
DerbyDiva

Back to top Go down

Post by DerbyDiva 16th December 2010, 4:38 am

Oh yeah, and the leave-in gave me a tingly feeling after I worked it into my hair. Not a strong burning sensation like I've experienced with most "feel it" formulas. But a nice tingle that felt refreshing and made my scalp feel clean but not stripped. Happy mixing ladies!
DerbyDiva
DerbyDiva

Back to top Go down

Post by letha 16th December 2010, 9:57 am

Here is another one from Top Mop Maven.. I been thinking about trying this one myself I already have the ingredients..

If you have extremely curly hair, chances are you have experienced those annoying little knots, balls, or tangles on the ends of your hair on about the second or third day of wearing your hair in natural, "free-flowing" styles [braid-outs, twist-outs, etc]. Not only can they be frustrating, but they can also cause additional tangles, knots and subsequent damage if those issues persist.

Lately I have been experimenting with different moisturizing formulas because honestly I am always searching for the next best thing. The weather has been pretty frigid as of late, and as a result, my favorite products are not as moisturizing as they once were + my ends are starting to curl up on themselves which means it is time to up the moisturizing ante. I picked up some of my favorite products and played kitchen chemist the past few weeks, and this simple recipe was definitely a winner:

Ingredients
4 ounces of Suave Almond & Shea Butter Conditioner [you can use your favorite condish]
1 vial of Fermodyl 619 [formulated for kinky, coarse hair]
2 teaspoons of Aloe Vera Juice
Enough water to make it a light, spray-able consistency

Directions:
Add all ingredients to a spray bottle, and shake to mix well!
Lightly spray on hair nightly and cover with a satin bonnet. This dual purpose spritz will help hydrate your hair during the harsh winter months; and eliminate the knotting dilemna's by lubricating your strands and keeping your cuticles flat which means little to no tangling and/or matting. This formula is light enough not to weigh your hair down, and is suitable for nightly use.
Benefits:
Ultra hydrating formula keeps your hair soft and shiny
Lactic acid found in Fermodyl 619 minimizes tangles, matting and knots; making it more manageable
Aloe Vera acts as a protective barrier against the harsh, cold weather

About this formulation:
Conditioner: Helps keep hair supple, cuticles flat, and hair ultra hydrated
Fermodyl 619: My Holy Grail in a vial; this product keeps those cuticles laying flat which means less frizz, less tangles, matting, knots and less fuss.
Aloe Vera Juice: Aloe Juice makes an excellent additive as it nourishes your follicles, protects your hair, and offers a bit of hydration as well
Water: One of nature's best moisturizers; if you have hard water, opt for bottled distilled water. Alternatively, you can use Rose Water for a luxurious treat [I love the moisturizing effects of Rose Water].

I been having that Fermodyl 619 forever in my stash I mostly used it when I was relaxed.. Sallys usually have a sale where you buy one get one free.
letha
letha

Back to top Go down

Post by DreamMerchant 18th December 2010, 9:03 am

I am concocting all kinds of things

1. Lip balm-first tube was a little greasy and gritty but it worked great. I will keep using it. It had a bas of cocoa butter, vit e, shea, jojoba, coconut oil. I think I will limit it to either cocoa butter and vit e or cocoa butter and coconut oil.

2. Hair gel-I just boil some flax seeds and add gel. The flas has such a strong bond that it needs to be mixed with a blender with some oil or creamy base to make it not so gloopy. I like it.

3. Moisturizing hair spritz to spritz my hair every day. I took an old garnier fructise sleek and shine leave-in conditioner bottle and attached my spray nozel on it. I add alot of water in it and then squize some of the leave-in into the bottle. I shake it up and spray it on my hair. I have been doing this for two week and my hair has been very soft and shiney. I seal with vatika after I spritz it.
DreamMerchant
DreamMerchant

http://public.fotki.com/DreamMerchant/

Back to top Go down

Post by Madeaj 18th December 2010, 9:55 am

Oatmeal Cleanser - this is gentle for any kind of skin, but is especially kind to acne prone skin.

Take whole oats, the slow cooking kind in the round box. Not the instant flavored oats. Put them in a blended and pulse blend until they are ground fine. Store in an air and water tight container.

To Use:
Daily use
Pour about a teaspoon or two into your palm or a small dish. Add a little warm water and make a paste. Lightly rub onto face in circular motions. Lightly, gently, don't rub too hard. You can let it dry into a light mask or rinse it off with cool, not cold, water.

Once or twice a week:
Add honey, yogurt, or mashed banana to the oatmeal to make a paste. Smooth it on and leave it for about 10 to 15 minutes. Wipe off with a soft cloth and rinse with cool water.

Moisturise face after using.

Last edited by Madeaj on 20th December 2010, 11:23 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added the words 'too hard')
Madeaj
Madeaj

Back to top Go down

Post by Takeya 18th December 2010, 11:03 am

@Letha - I'm planning to try this recipe when I wash my hair in a week or so. Can you share your results?

I've never used Fermodyl but if it does all it claims, I definitely need it because my hair has been so frizzy and tangled (the main reason I decided to straighten for a few weeks)!!!

Thanks in advance!
Takeya
Takeya

http://www.justtakeya.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by letha 18th December 2010, 12:39 pm

Takeya wrote:@Letha - I'm planning to try this recipe when I wash my hair in a week or so. Can you share your results?

I've never used Fermodyl but if it does all it claims, I definitely need it because my hair has been so frizzy and tangled (the main reason I decided to straighten for a few weeks)!!!

Thanks in advance!

I haven't used it yet.. I just been eyeing it and I might do it soon.. I can't decide which conditioner to use I have the one she mentioned and I have yes to carrots which I love.

Its been so long since I used the fermodyl I can't remember but I do have their sprays so that may be the same.. They have the vials and the sprays and they really strenghten my hair.. The moisture one not sure because my hair needs so much moisture..

I think the 233 is for strengthen and the 619 is for the moisture..
letha
letha

Back to top Go down

Post by DerbyDiva 20th December 2010, 10:01 am

ooh that oatmeal cleanser sounds like the business! i may try this! my face is breakin out somethin fierce this week since cousin flo decided to stop by.... i need something thats non abrasive so i dont make it worse. i usually do the OCM and exfoliate once a week with brown sugar &olive oil. i think ill try the mask this week!
DerbyDiva
DerbyDiva

Back to top Go down

Post by Madeaj 20th December 2010, 11:28 am

I gave this to my nephew and it really slowed down his breakouts and his skin didn't look so painful or angry. I use it and it doesn't dry my skin so much. A friend puts raw oatmeal a knee hi to make a bath teabag for her grandbaby. The little girl has ezcema bad. It really soothes her skin.
Madeaj
Madeaj

Back to top Go down

Post by DerbyDiva 22nd December 2010, 10:54 am

I'm gonna go for it and try the oatmeal cleanser today! I'm using my ex as a guinea pig lol! I'm treating him to a spa day since its his bday. So I'm gonna draw him a detox bath with epsom salt, baking soda, peppermint EO and mostlikely jojoba or grapeseed oil and put the oatmeal on his face &let sit while he soaks and relaxes. He has really oily skin and he doesn't have a routine skin care regimen like he should with his skin type so whenever I get the chance to I do a deep treatment (really he washes his face with whatever soap he bathes with, which is usually old spice or axe). I use the brown sugar/olive oil scrub on him and it did wonders but its kinda messy to apply to someone else &he has locs so its awful tryna get that stuff outta his edges. Ill let you all know how it goes!

Sidebar: anyone have any good recipes for locs? He maintains them himself, which translates into me maintaining them, but I love it! He doesn't really use good products for his hair tho, so they're on the dry side. I wanna get them to be soft shiny locs. I'm also doing more heads recently and I see this being a side hustle so I wanna be able to care for locs inside out instead of just being able to retwist or do starters &maintenence. Thanks ladies!
DerbyDiva
DerbyDiva

Back to top Go down

Post by DerbyDiva 26th December 2010, 2:26 am

so the spa day went well and he loved the oatmeal cleanser! i keep a bowl of it next to the sink now for daily cleansing. im gonna alternate this with the OCM and my brown sugar scrub. Thanks for the recipe!
DerbyDiva
DerbyDiva

Back to top Go down

Post by MissyCee 3rd January 2011, 10:52 pm

HELP!!! I tried a recipe from the Curly Nikki main page where the recipes are - Shake's Whipped Shea Butter, 8 oz shea butter, can of coconut milk, olive oil, coconut oil and vegetable glycerin (Didn't have the glycerin at the time). But I had severe helmet head. I mean my head was hard!!! I didn't go outside. It was also white. Is the glycerin really needed and how can I tell if glycerin is bad for winter months? I have dry, 4bish hair. I would love to find something that my hair just drinks and loves.
MissyCee
MissyCee

Back to top Go down

Post by Amy V. 12th January 2011, 10:14 pm

OMG, I'm so glad I finally am checking out the Home Made products section! Yall have some amazing sounding recipes on here. Now I'm really missing mixing stuff! When I do my DC on Saturday, I'm going to go ahead and make a mix with a base of Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose conditioner (Love it!). I've never added anything to it before so I'm gonna put some honey, castor oil and peppermint oil in wit it.
Amy V.
Amy V.

http://avbeautycentral.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by jaybella 15th January 2011, 1:36 am

I am very new to mixing, but I like making things in general. So far I have mixed a 'braid spray' which is something I will spray on my hair to give it a little moisture. I used Rosewater (for the smell), olive oil, vitamin e oil, coconut oil and castor oil.

I have also mixed a cocoa butter to seal my ends with and help with dray cracked feet in the winter. I used Cocoa butter, olive oil, coconut oil, vitamin e oil, and castor oil. It came out kind of hard and I left it alone for a few days hoping it would soften up at bit.

It didn't.

Soo I added some olive oil and vitamin e oil to it and it came out really nice and fluffy. (I previously had whipped it when I first made it). Maybe I need to soften the cocoa butter and then add the oils? Like I said...I am new at this.

That is the extent of my mixing at this point. I am going to watch this thread so I can scout out some more recipes. Very Happy
jaybella
jaybella

http://public.fotki.com/lucidbeautyy/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next