CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

what are YOU mixing??

+21
Takeya
Madeaj
DreamMerchant
BlondeByDesire
1FlySista
naturallyme09
LadyMika
belleaenca
veebaby87
Hazelbabe
exhale1913
shortnsweet
PaganWifey
blkbeauty2010
urbancoils
kelleemudiva
ladygogohot
letha
laleepop14
krazy coils
DerbyDiva
25 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

what are YOU mixing?? Empty what are YOU mixing??

Post by DerbyDiva 16th November 2010, 4:57 am

first of all let me start of by saying;

dance aaaahhhhhhh!!!!! im SO excited!!! yes yes YES!! i have been asking for this!! thank you Nikki!!! woot!

*ahem* now that thats out of my system, what are you currently mixing, what have you loved, hated, wanna try, heard about, dreamt about...whatever!!

i know a LOT of yall use Kimmaytube's concoction but if you modify it let us know what you do differently! what are youre results & your methods?? share all the juicy details!!

i am currently stuck on my spray bottle mixture with my DC (lustrasilk placenta &jojoba oil), jojoba oil as a carrier, rosemary EO and distilled water. the recipe varys from day to day but i stick with no more than 5-6 drops of rosemary, maybe 1/2-1 tbsp of jojoba and a scoop full of conditioner. lately ive been throwing in a little castor oil since i just found out that my hair indeed DOES like castor (i thought it didnt). i dont measure anything, just eyeball (i know that doesnt help lol) but my consistency varys from a light watery to a thicker creamy leave-in. i concentrate on the front edges and my "trouble" spots then turn my head upside down (for circulation...what, dont judge) and massage into my scalp and hair. this is pretty simple for me since my hair is so short, but as it grows i know its gonna get harder.

i also throw in any/every oil i have into my DC before application. my hair LOVES, no, it LURVES this! my hair has been incredibly soft since i figured out that my hair prefers moisture over protien. im not a big pj so im pretty much using up everything in my aresenal and modifying it 1000 different ways before investing in any more products. im not big on all the big natural labels, i prefer to create my own so im eager to learn what you guys do!!

share, share, SHARE!

*i apologize if i went a bit overboard in my excitement, making this post a little long; forgive me yall. Laughing
DerbyDiva
DerbyDiva

http://www.twitter.com/Venus_Arising

Back to top Go down

what are YOU mixing?? Empty Re: what are YOU mixing??

Post by krazy coils 16th November 2010, 9:08 am

I am currently mixing up a spritz for my hair. I used the following powders: hibiscus, amla, camomile and coltsfolt. I mixed them together in a coffee pot and let them brew together with distilled water. Once they cooled I added Aloe Vera juice, vitamin e oil, grapeseed oil and rosemary eo. I'm still playing around with this until I find the right ratio. So far I'm liking it but I may add jojoba oil the next time.
krazy coils
krazy coils

http://public.fotki.com/kamaia16/, https://www.youtube.com/user/k

Back to top Go down

Post by laleepop14 16th November 2010, 11:24 am

I also love my spritz but will probably have to alter it for the colder months since it contains vegetable glycerin which I hear can be drying in the cold...

Anyhoo, my bottle contains some H2O, my fav leave in Giovanni's conditioner, vegetable glycerin, sweet almond oil or grapeseed oil (depends on my mood), and some peppermint oil. I believe thats it.

@krazy coils that sounds like a hair spa treatment!!! Sounds great...Where do you buy those things??

@derbydiva, I told you I was coming over here!!! Just another reason to be on CurlyNikki all damn day.... Shocked
laleepop14
laleepop14

Back to top Go down

Post by DerbyDiva 16th November 2010, 11:37 am

laleepop14 wrote:
@krazy coils that sounds like a hair spa treatment!!! Sounds great...Where do you buy those things??

@derbydiva, I told you I was coming over here!!! Just another reason to be on CurlyNikki all damn day.... Shocked

That does sound like a hair spa treatment krazycoils! Hmmm I like the thought of an herbal infusion...

@laleepop yessss chile I been waitin on this! Thanks for sharing! I have yet to dabble with glycerin but I may give it a try in the warmer months. Apparently it can be damaging when there's no moisture in the air because it pulls moisture out of your hair into the air. Its also doesn't penetrate it just coats so ill try it as a sealer in spring time. Its humid enough here in houston for me to get some GREAT benefits lol.
DerbyDiva
DerbyDiva

Back to top Go down

Post by letha 16th November 2010, 11:48 am

I took the Kimmaytube leave in and added water to it to make a spray.. I used Avocado Oil or Olive Oil because I have no Jojoba oil at the house.. I loved the spray just not sure about the smell later so I threw that out.. Not sure if it was starting to go bad or that is just the way it smelled.. Never smelled it when I mixed it as a cream..

I'm also looking for a spritz with aloe vera juice.. I might just do that and water not sure yet.. Maybe aloe vera juice, aloe vera gel water, honey and little emu oil.. Couple drops of Rosemary oil
letha
letha

Back to top Go down

Post by letha 16th November 2010, 11:50 am

Forgot to add also working on AVC infused with herbs as well as oils infused with oil.. Just need to get all my products handy.. The AVC rinse not sure I might add horsetail, burdockroot and marshmellow root I think that is the right name of it.. lol
letha
letha

Back to top Go down

Post by krazy coils 16th November 2010, 12:14 pm

The amla powder I got from an Indian grocery store and I got the rest of the herbs from mountainroseherbs.com. I got the aloe vera juice, grapeseed oil and vitamin e and rosemary essential oils from Whole Foods.
krazy coils
krazy coils

http://public.fotki.com/kamaia16/, https://www.youtube.com/user/k

Back to top Go down

Post by ladygogohot 16th November 2010, 5:50 pm

@ Derby... you are so excited!!!!. I love home made products. I just brought all the ingredients to make kimmytube spritz ( lets see how that works, read good things about that). Like you, i am not a big PJ junkie, i stay with the basic and just make as i go. I am very fortunate to have access to lot of natural stuff ( herbs, Indian products....)

i will share what i think works and those that don't.

ladygogohot
ladygogohot

Back to top Go down

Post by kelleemudiva 16th November 2010, 6:58 pm

I'm working on updating my moisturizing spritz mix. Actually I'm on my way to the herbal store. Currently what's in my mix is distilled water, aloe vera juice, suave naturals coconut conditioner, jojoba oil and sweet almond oil. I really don't measure, its about 80 percent liquid and the remaider oil and conditioner that I shake up and spray on my hair daily.
kelleemudiva
kelleemudiva

Back to top Go down

Post by urbancoils 16th November 2010, 9:42 pm

I've been wanting to come up with a concoction but I'm not even sure where to begin. Do you guys get your ideas from other then just modify to what you may like? I guess I need to do some research.
urbancoils
urbancoils

Back to top Go down

Post by kelleemudiva 16th November 2010, 10:14 pm

I just bought some rosemary and horsetail. I'm going to steep it, let cool and add them to my moisturizing spray .
kelleemudiva
kelleemudiva

Back to top Go down

Post by blkbeauty2010 16th November 2010, 11:12 pm

letha wrote:I took the Kimmaytube leave in and added water to it to make a spray.. I used Avocado Oil or Olive Oil because I have no Jojoba oil at the house.. I loved the spray just not sure about the smell later so I threw that out.. Not sure if it was starting to go bad or that is just the way it smelled.. Never smelled it when I mixed it as a cream..

I'm also looking for a spritz with aloe vera juice.. I might just do that and water not sure yet.. Maybe aloe vera juice, aloe vera gel water, honey and little emu oil.. Couple drops of Rosemary oil

I know my honey thinks Im crazy but the bottom shelf of the refrigerator door is dedicated to my small collection of home made products (including Kimmytube conditioner) ALJ has a label on the bottle to refrigerate after opening so i figured that any mix i make containing it will have to be stored properly.
blkbeauty2010
blkbeauty2010

Back to top Go down

Post by kelleemudiva 16th November 2010, 11:30 pm

@theurbanwifey I got a lot of my ideas from this website along with you tube and by just looking on the label of products that I love or would like to use. I also my make my own dc.
kelleemudiva
kelleemudiva

Back to top Go down

Post by blkbeauty2010 17th November 2010, 12:54 am

I swear I wish I would have realized a long time ago that many of the products i purchased can be replicated at home. I looked at my bottle of Carols Daughter Marguerites Majic (i think) and realized i alread have every one of those ingredients (plus some) and could have made it my self for way less than $16.
blkbeauty2010
blkbeauty2010

Back to top Go down

Post by DerbyDiva 17th November 2010, 3:39 am

@ladygogohot chile yes! i was hittin Nikki up on twitter about this lol. im pretty sure there were a bunch of us looking for a thread like this, so im glad we got it. i feel like this is a big part of the natural journey and really learning your hair.

@blkbeauty youre right. theres no point in paying all that dinero for stuff that you can make way more of for way cheaper! thats the beauty in creating your own products!

@letha you have to be careful when modifying store bought products. i think Nikki did a post on this a while back. when you add even water to a product it throws off the chemical balance. basically, there are enough products for the amount of additives in the original concoction and when you add to that it lowers the shelf life, inviting bacteria to form faster. so if you do add water or oils to a store bought product either add preservatives or use it within a week to avoid introducing bateria to your scalp.

keep em comin ladies!
DerbyDiva
DerbyDiva

Back to top Go down

Post by PaganWifey 17th November 2010, 3:58 am

I want to try to make some kind of grease for my hair because it likes oil (my scalp is ga-ga for it) but I want an easier application than actual oil. I'm think of putting olive, coconut and castor oil in a bowl and seeing if just whipping it will cause it to change consistency.

I have a spritz that's conditioner, coconut oil and water. Refreshes my locs and gets them to lay down.
PaganWifey
PaganWifey

Back to top Go down

Post by letha 17th November 2010, 8:35 am

Thanks Blkbeauty & DerbyDiva that is probably what happend to that mix of hers I add water to just glad I smelled it b4 spraying it..
letha
letha

Back to top Go down

Post by DerbyDiva 17th November 2010, 11:22 am

I meant to say "there are enough PRESERVATIVES for the amount of additive..." in that last post.
DerbyDiva
DerbyDiva

Back to top Go down

Post by kelleemudiva 17th November 2010, 2:58 pm

Ladies, a few natural preservatives are honey and grapefruit seed extract. Great alternatives to adding unknown chemicals, although you have to research how much to add and its shelf life. I leave my homemade conditioner in the refridgerator to help preserve but I ususally use it all in a month. As far as my moisturizing spray, I usually go through it in two weeks (I'm so glad I started making this stuff or I would be shelling out a lot of money). I hope this helps.
kelleemudiva
kelleemudiva

Back to top Go down

Post by shortnsweet 17th November 2010, 9:16 pm

I do my own version of Kimmaytube's leave in. I find it makes my hair soft and moisturized. The ingredients include shea butter, coconut oil, AVJ, EVOO, and KCKT. Should I put it in the fridge since it contains the AVJ????
shortnsweet
shortnsweet

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/tamara.e.gulley

Back to top Go down

Post by blkbeauty2010 17th November 2010, 9:23 pm

shortnsweet wrote:I do my own version of Kimmaytube's leave in. I find it makes my hair soft and moisturized. The ingredients include shea butter, coconut oil, AVJ, EVOO, and KCKT. Should I put it in the fridge since it contains the AVJ????

I do my own version as well and mines is in the fridge. The AVJ says to refrigerate after opening so anything i mixed with it will be stored there
blkbeauty2010
blkbeauty2010

Back to top Go down

Post by exhale1913 18th November 2010, 1:01 am

DerbyDiva wrote:first of all let me start of by saying;

dance aaaahhhhhhh!!!!! im SO excited!!! yes yes YES!! i have been asking for this!! thank you Nikki!!! woot!

*ahem* now that thats out of my system, what are you currently mixing, what have you loved, hated, wanna try, heard about, dreamt about...whatever!!

i know a LOT of yall use Kimmaytube's concoction but if you modify it let us know what you do differently! what are youre results & your methods?? share all the juicy details!!

i am currently stuck on my spray bottle mixture with my DC (lustrasilk placenta &jojoba oil), jojoba oil as a carrier, rosemary EO and distilled water. the recipe varys from day to day but i stick with no more than 5-6 drops of rosemary, maybe 1/2-1 tbsp of jojoba and a scoop full of conditioner. lately ive been throwing in a little castor oil since i just found out that my hair indeed DOES like castor (i thought it didnt). i dont measure anything, just eyeball (i know that doesnt help lol) but my consistency varys from a light watery to a thicker creamy leave-in. i concentrate on the front edges and my "trouble" spots then turn my head upside down (for circulation...what, dont judge) and massage into my scalp and hair. this is pretty simple for me since my hair is so short, but as it grows i know its gonna get harder.

i also throw in any/every oil i have into my DC before application. my hair LOVES, no, it LURVES this! my hair has been incredibly soft since i figured out that my hair prefers moisture over protien. im not a big pj so im pretty much using up everything in my aresenal and modifying it 1000 different ways before investing in any more products. im not big on all the big natural labels, i prefer to create my own so im eager to learn what you guys do!!

share, share, SHARE!

*i apologize if i went a bit overboard in my excitement, making this post a little long; forgive me yall. Laughing

Saw that you are using lustrasilk placenta and jojoba conditioner, and thought I would share this link with you that I found. I by no means am an expert on this stuff, but it was definitely enough for me to raise an eyebrow...

http://knowbreastcancer.net/placenta_hair.html

Definitely something to consider, IMO....
exhale1913
exhale1913

Back to top Go down

Post by DerbyDiva 18th November 2010, 3:32 am

@exhale thank you for the info! i will def be taking this into account with my hair regimen! i dont usually buy this kind with the placenta, i like the kind with shea butter &mango, but this was all they had at the time i purchased. i get better results with the shea &mango so ill be buying that one from now on!

i have become recently aware of the affects of estrogen on pre-menopausal women so i am so glad you posted this! i will be avoiding placenta from now on, especially since it doesnt do anything for my hair that other ingredients cant do!
DerbyDiva
DerbyDiva

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazelbabe 18th November 2010, 11:32 am

With inspiration from westNDNbeauty's (you can check her recipe out on her blog) to use less aloe vera juice is the Kimmaytube mixture here is my recipe.
4 part Suave Almond & Shea Butter Conditioner
1 part Aloe Vera Juice
1 part Olive Oil
I don't think my hair like too much avj or castor oil so this mixture works a lot better on my hair. I'll be trying this combo with my Cantu Shea butter. But this mix sealed with shea butter keeps my hair basically soft all week.
Hazelbabe
Hazelbabe

Back to top Go down

Post by kelleemudiva 18th November 2010, 12:49 pm

Hi ladies
Tuesday was my dc day. I decided to try castile soap to cleanse my hair instead of shampoo. WARNING please dilute with more than enough water if you try this method of cleansing. I had to learn this the hard way. I did 1part water 1part castile soap put into a 4 oz bottle. I was so WRONG! Next time I will try a tablespoon or two of castile and the remaining water. Anyway, my hair felt very unsual. I don't even think that it felt like hair. I put my homemade dc in and sat under the dryer for a half hour and afterwards piled some AOHR on top and massaged it in and slept with it on and rinsed the next day. I believe that my hair is back to normal but I will dc today just in case.

My dc contains:
Water
Shea butter
Coconut oil
Jojoba oil
Honey
Avocado
Aloe vera juice
VO5 moisture milk (tiny bit to bind)

kelleemudiva
kelleemudiva

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next