CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Freckledmom4-Loving my hair today! Pics included

+33
Lynnieluve
jeanlouisangel
Thinice
Sebastain13
Renny
Treece
naturallynola
SheeTacular
poeticlyspkng
ChrsLvsBks
summerbreeze76
LaToya28
BlondeByDesire
mrsmackey
crvng4mr
KeAnia
Hurricane Curly
TheRYL1
MomnWife
Naturalin2010
NubieNatty
sweetdrk1
nattyblog
MellowOne
KinkyNappyHappy
curlsunfurled
CurlsGalore
CocoEuro
priceless
WhosThatRedHead
krazy coils
CrissyQ
freckledmom4
37 posters

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Freckledmom4-Loving my hair today!  Pics included Empty Freckledmom4-Loving my hair today! Pics included

Post by freckledmom4 30th July 2010, 12:51 pm

Hello Ladies,

Today marks my first month of being natural Freckledmom4-Loving my hair today!  Pics included 678474 ! This month has gone by so fast and I feel like I have learned so much about my hair. I have been through a range of emotions, but I am glad to say that I love my natural hair. As I sit here with henna in my hair, I figured now is a good time to get my CSJ started to track my progress. I've been meaning to start one since I chopped, but being the procrastinator that I am...

About me: I am a SAHM (stay at home mom) of 4 great kids. Before that I was an elementary school teacher. I am preparing to go back to work within the next year or 2 when my youngest is able to go to preschool. I love God and I love my family. My desire is to live a life that honors them.

My hair story: I didn't start out on a quest to go natural when I got my last relaxer in Dec. '09. I was just looking to be able to see how far I could stretch my relaxers. I started with 8 weeks, then 10, but after my last relaxer I was trying to go 12 weeks, but that day never came.

The women in my family have a history of premature greying (got my first grey @ 10) and thinning. I've watched all my aunties go through perming and coloring to end up with severe thinning by the time they were 40. However, now they are all natural and their hair has filled back in. I decided not to put myself through that. After doing a lot of research, I decided to transition in February. I wanted to transition for atleast a year, but I couldn't stand dealing with the 2 textures any longer. Around that time, I watched curlsgalore's slide show of her 1st year natural and that inspired me to do the big chop. So after church on 6/30, I cut off about 6 or more inches of relaxed hair. (I had done 2 mini-chops before)

My oldest daughter (13) has been going throught the process with me. She had her last texturizer in 8/09. She was a die hard flatiron queen, but watching me wear curly styles has helped her to appreciate her 3c curls. She tells all her friends that, "Me and my mom are going natural." It makes me smile to know that she is growing to love who she was fearfully and wonderfully made to be. Together, we will teach the youngest (2) curly girl in our clan to care for and love her hair.

Last edited by freckledmom4 on 16th March 2011, 2:21 pm; edited 13 times in total
freckledmom4
freckledmom4

Back to top Go down

Freckledmom4-Loving my hair today!  Pics included Empty Re: Freckledmom4-Loving my hair today! Pics included

Post by CrissyQ 30th July 2010, 12:55 pm

Great story, welcome to CSJ
CrissyQ
CrissyQ

Back to top Go down

Freckledmom4-Loving my hair today!  Pics included Empty Re: Freckledmom4-Loving my hair today! Pics included

Post by krazy coils 30th July 2010, 1:07 pm

Welcome to Curl Street, loved your story!
krazy coils
krazy coils

http://public.fotki.com/kamaia16/, https://www.youtube.com/user/k

Back to top Go down

Post by WhosThatRedHead 30th July 2010, 1:10 pm

Thanks for sharing your story! Welcome.
WhosThatRedHead
WhosThatRedHead

Back to top Go down

Post by freckledmom4 30th July 2010, 1:32 pm

Thanks Ladies! Whosthat & CrissyQ you have had some great growth!
freckledmom4
freckledmom4

Back to top Go down

Post by WhosThatRedHead 30th July 2010, 1:43 pm

Thanks!! You should join the TWA growth challenge! Its a great way to keep track of your growth and lament with other TWA's about not having any growth.
WhosThatRedHead
WhosThatRedHead

Back to top Go down

Post by priceless 30th July 2010, 4:37 pm

welcome like the story My has told me to go natural for a long time but i was not feeling it for me that is thought that my hair would never look like anything now i love it
priceless
priceless

Back to top Go down

Post by CocoEuro 1st August 2010, 4:35 pm

Welcome!!!!
CocoEuro
CocoEuro

http://naturalcurlykinks.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlsGalore 1st August 2010, 7:14 pm

Welcome! What a great story!
CurlsGalore
CurlsGalore

http://public.fotki.com/mahoganyface

Back to top Go down

Post by freckledmom4 1st August 2010, 8:23 pm

Thanks for reading!

Note-to-self: Never wear a wng to church! I nearly froze my u-know-what off today. But today I mixed a little avg with my sheamoisture smoothie and got pretty good curl definition.
freckledmom4
freckledmom4

Back to top Go down

Post by curlsunfurled 1st August 2010, 8:49 pm

Hello and welcome to CSJ freckledmom,

I really enjoyed reading your story. When I decided to go natural, I was sort of on my own (my mom had a 6-9 months head start on me). How nice it is to have a family member to "travel" with --- congratulations.
curlsunfurled
curlsunfurled

Back to top Go down

Post by freckledmom4 3rd August 2010, 11:52 pm

Thanks curlsunfurled!

I checked my length yesterday with a ruler and was surprised to see that I got almost an inch of growth since I bc-ed a month ago. I don't know if it is because of the ayurvedics, the summer heat or that I was actually paying attention, but I like it! I can actually pull my hair into a puff now-so excited. I've been doing wngs for the last couple of days and today when I detangled with my fingers, I felt some definite knots-UGH. Planning to dc sometime tomorrow or Thursday and take time to detangle with a comb. I hope I don't loose too much hair.
freckledmom4
freckledmom4

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkyNappyHappy 4th August 2010, 9:33 am

Hi Freckledmom...

I stopped by last week, but it was so crazy I left your thread before I said welcome!! Glad you started a thread, and congratulations on you bc!!

The puff is my favorite go to style, but the last time I wore my puff I had a LOT of knots!!! I took my time and detangled slowly...I didn't loose too much hair.

Loved your story and again welcome to CS

KNH
KinkyNappyHappy
KinkyNappyHappy

Back to top Go down

Post by freckledmom4 5th August 2010, 9:00 pm

Detangling went well today. I didn't loose as much hair as I expected. I prepooed with navratna oil for about an hour before I cowashed and dc'ed. I've been reading so much about people steaming their hair and how much they cost and I was wondering if it wa worth the hype so I put my dc mix (giovanni ___ fix, coconut & olive oils, honey and a little bit of ors replenishing condish). I wrapped my head in saran wrap then heated a wet wash cloth in the microwave. I placed that on top of the saran wrap and then covered with a plastic cap- I think ChrsLvsBks did smething like this before she got a steamer. I finally wrapped a towel around my head and left it for about 15 minutes. There was a BIG difference! My hair was super soft after I rinsed the concoction out! I ususally do an oil rinse but skipped it today since my hair felt so nice. Then I did twists which took about 3 hrs on and off. I used sheamoisture smoothie, hydrating hair butter and ecostyler to style but my hair is so soft not, I'm not sure if it will hold tomorrow.

Freckledmom4-Loving my hair today!  Pics included Dscn3511
freckledmom4
freckledmom4

Back to top Go down

Post by WhosThatRedHead 6th August 2010, 12:47 am

I saw on Nubbie's CSJ you said you had problems with the fron of your hair coiling. What are you using to coil your hair? I know I had to try more than one different gel to get mine to do it (not saying my coils look spectacular or anything) I've found Organic Root Stimulator Lock and Twist gel has worked for me. My front isn't as coiled as the rest of my head but it's enough to where I feel I can "fake" it...lol
WhosThatRedHead
WhosThatRedHead

Back to top Go down

Post by MellowOne 6th August 2010, 9:13 am

Hi Freckledmom4,

Great story, that is great that you and your daughter are doing this together.
MellowOne
MellowOne

Back to top Go down

Post by nattyblog 6th August 2010, 4:14 pm

Welcome!!
run
nattyblog
nattyblog

http://naturalgeek.onsugar.com

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 6th August 2010, 5:47 pm

Great story, the coils looks great! Welcome to CS!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by freckledmom4 11th August 2010, 2:48 pm

Thanks Natty, MellowOne and Sweet!

@ Red- I have given up on trying coils in the front because the hair there is just loose waves and some of it is straight. I was thinking that it may be heat damage, but even the roots seem straight. Also I am on a reggie challenge thatis supposed to keep me from buying any new products for 4 weeks, but I blew that already.

I did my 1st length check.
Freckledmom4-Loving my hair today!  Pics included Dscn3518

I can't believe how much my hair has grown. Can't wait to see what it looks like a month from now.
freckledmom4
freckledmom4

Back to top Go down

Post by freckledmom4 11th August 2010, 2:51 pm

Sorry, wrong pic! That's ^ my 2nd day wng!
Here's the length check.
Freckledmom4-Loving my hair today!  Pics included Dscn3519
freckledmom4
freckledmom4

Back to top Go down

Post by WhosThatRedHead 11th August 2010, 3:30 pm

That's some great length!
WhosThatRedHead
WhosThatRedHead

Back to top Go down

Post by NubieNatty 11th August 2010, 3:34 pm

oooooooh girl look at chu **usher singin**
NubieNatty
NubieNatty

Back to top Go down

Post by freckledmom4 11th August 2010, 5:04 pm

I went to Sally's yesterday and bought a denman brush, 2 jars of ecostlyer oo gel ($3.49 for the large one), gvp conditioning balm and ORS Nature Shine. The Nature Shine is how I broke the challenge, but I think it was a good purchase because I had a coupon that took off $5 so it was practically free-*happy dance*

I prepooed Mon. night with Navratna oil=good sleep! In the morning, after my excursion to Sally's, I cowashed with TJTTT and DC'ed with Giovanni Nutrafix, melted shea butter, coconut, olive & amla oils. I did the "steaming" thing again and my hair was UBER SOFT. Now I really want a steamer, but can't see paying for it so I will stick to this bootleg method for now. I oil rinsed with vatika and used the Giovanni Direct leave-in. At first I wasn't too crazy about it b/c it is so thick and I used way too much , but now I use a quarter sized drop and I love it. Here is my style:
Freckledmom4-Loving my hair today!  Pics included Rscn3510
Freckledmom4-Loving my hair today!  Pics included Rscn3511

I used ecostlyer and smooth-n-shine gels on the back and managed to get 2nd day hair Freckledmom4-Loving my hair today!  Pics included 678474 . Of course, I slept like a princess last night which wasn't hard with my 2 and 6 year olds and hubby in the bed-it's a wonder I got any sleep at all. I just sprayed it with the Nature Shine last night and this morning, but after an outing to the pool, I don't know if I'll make it to day 3. So what to you do to keep your styles-and get some real sleep?
freckledmom4
freckledmom4

Back to top Go down

Post by CrissyQ 11th August 2010, 7:12 pm

this is really cute! Are those braids in the front or twist? What did u use to on them?
CrissyQ
CrissyQ

Back to top Go down

Post by CrissyQ 11th August 2010, 7:14 pm

I sleep with my satin bonnet, and just use bee mine moisture and some olive oil in the morning. I may retwist my hair every other day, this week i have been lazy. I think I am going to wash and try your style, I cannot braid but my neighbor can. Wish me luck
CrissyQ
CrissyQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next