CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

StephanieB

+11
Juices-n-Berries
KinkyNappyHappy
ChrsLvsBks
Intelligentbeauty
CocaColaCutie
adiaha
sweetdrk1
Lynnieluve
Pinkrage
BlondeByDesire
StephanieB
15 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

StephanieB Empty StephanieB

Post by StephanieB 28th January 2010, 9:53 am

Hello everyone! I'd been considering starting a thread for a while but I was hesitant to do so because I've always been on the shy side. But I've recently decided to try and be more outgoing, so I talked myself into doing it. Besides, I've seen how nice and helpful everyone is and Lord knows I could use the help. lol

I'm actually not new to being natural. I've been natural for 5 years. I decided to go natural because I was tired of spending so much money getting my hair relaxed. It had been about 3 months since my last relaxer when I decided to get it cut instead of relaxing it. Thankfully, my husband was very supportive of my decision to go natural. When I asked him what he thought about me going natural he said, "Go for it!". So I went for it. I went to my stylist (gone to her since 8th grade) to get the relaxed ends cut off. There was complete silence in the salon as everyone watched my hair fall to the floor. I was so uncomfortable with all of those eyes on me. Once my stylist was done she said, "Oooooh! You've got a nice shaped head!" LOL StephanieB Icon_razz I had never seen my hair that short, but I loved it.

Since I got it cut, I've only worn my hair in a fro or a puff. I'd see other natural ladies with various hairstyles and I always assumed that those hairstyles were difficult to do. I assumed that b/c when I had my relaxer, I was NOT good at styling my hair. But something happened that prompted me to do more research regarding different styles with my natural hair. I'm sure you've all experienced it, but natural ladies tend to spot each other. Well, another natural lady approached me and asked the usual question us naturals ask each other "How long have you been natural?". I replied and she complimented my fro and asked me if I've ever tried twists or a twist out. I replied by telling her that I was not good at doing hair and that it sounded complicated. She was nice enough to explain how easy it was and that same day, I went home and started to research.

I've learned more about my hair in the past few weeks than I have in the past 5 years about my natural hair. It's been fun learning and trying new things.

I was so nervous about it, but I wore my first twist out to work this week. I got a lot of compliments on it and I was so proud of myself for trying something different.

About my twists, I just cannot bring myself to be seen in public with my hair in twists. I see so many pictures of you guys with your hair in twists and they look SO nice, but mine just don't look that way. I think the length is awkward for me. I'm hoping once my hair grows some more I'll be able to do that b/c I really want to do some protective styling. I'll post pictures in a bit. StephanieB Icon_biggrin

StephanieB

Back to top Go down

StephanieB Empty Re: StephanieB

Post by StephanieB 28th January 2010, 10:03 am

Earlier this week, I wore my first twist out! My first successful twist out was achieved by doing medium sized twists. I wore my hair in a puff that day. Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures. I'll be sure to take pictures with my next one.

Last night though, I did small twists with the intention of wearing my hair twisted in public. I just did NOT like the look. Here is a picture of my twists. I just don't think they look good enough to be seen in public.

Since I didn't like my twists, I undid them with the intention of doing a twistout. I didn't like that look either. IT looked like I stuck my finger in a light socket. LOL So, I got out my trusty water bottle and I'm just wearing a puff today.

Last edited by StephanieB on 22nd February 2010, 10:42 am; edited 1 time in total

StephanieB

Back to top Go down

Post by BlondeByDesire 28th January 2010, 10:23 am

Hello and welcome. You will get a wealth of knowledge from ladies in these parts. I think you did a great job on the twists and I like your afro puff. It does take practice to get them right. Also check out the Natural Big Sister board.
BlondeByDesire
BlondeByDesire

Back to top Go down

Post by Pinkrage 28th January 2010, 12:19 pm

I thought your twists looked GREAT! They were very shiny and juicy. Keep on practicing, I am sure you will get better. We have some wonderful ladies that can assist you.
Pinkrage
Pinkrage

http://www.fotki.com/pinkrage

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 28th January 2010, 12:58 pm

Welcome to the challenge!
Your hair looks really healthy. I think your twist look great! I would definitely be rocking em out in public. If you dont feel comfortable wearing them in public, have you thought about adding a headband? Try that and see how you like it.

I look forward to following your thread!!
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 28th January 2010, 2:08 pm

Welcome...I am so happy your stared the challenge. The twist/twist out has always been my challenge, just keep at it! I look forward to reading your journey!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by adiaha 28th January 2010, 2:20 pm

I agree with others, I think your twists look great. Of course we're our own worst critics. Your puff looks good too.

Welcome to the BnB board.
adiaha
adiaha

Back to top Go down

Post by CocaColaCutie 28th January 2010, 2:31 pm

Welcome! I know how you feel about wearing twists in public. I'm just getting over my own self-consciousness about it. If you don't like the look of the chunky ones, how about making them SUPER small. (about 1/4 of the size you did.) I did my first set of mini twists this month and I now love them! They may be a big time investment, but I think it's totally worth it. A. It's a protective style and B. You can easily go two weeks or more with 'get up and go' hair. Either way your hair looks shiny and healthy! Give us your secrets!
CocaColaCutie
CocaColaCutie

Back to top Go down

Post by StephanieB 28th January 2010, 5:04 pm

Thanks for the encouragement you guys. I'm going to give the twists another try and I'm going to take your suggestion Lynnie and try a headband and I'm going to try them smaller too CocaColaCutie. I'll probably do that on Wednesday. Wednesday is my "hair day" b/c I'm off while hubby is working and I'm home alone for most of the day.

@ CocaColaCutie, when I read you asking me to share my secrets I laughed. I don't know what the heck I'm doing. StephanieB Icon_razz LOL I've been natural a while now, but I feel like I'm starting over b/c it's the first time I've actually taken the time to get to know my hair and try new stuff. I'm still learning, but currently I'm using Herbal Essence Hello Hydration Conditioner, EVOO, Coconut Oil and Cantu Shea butter. Soon, I'm going to order some unrefined Shea Butter to try and I just bought some Aussie Moist Conditioner.

It's been really fun trying new things with my hair. It's kind of funny b/c my husband is just as amused as I am. He's been asking so many questions: "What's that for?" "What are you doing now?" "What does that do?"

Okay, I've written a book and I didn't intend too. I'd better get back to work or I'll be on here all day! StephanieB Icon_rr

Last edited by StephanieB on 28th January 2010, 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

StephanieB

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 28th January 2010, 5:37 pm

Welcome and have fun here

I think the twists look great as well. Nice and juicy...lol
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by StephanieB 30th January 2010, 5:25 pm

I dry twisted my hair last night b/c I had never done that before and I wanted to see what the twistout would look like. I didn't care for the results. My hair was frizzier than normal and my hair looked dry. It felt moisturized, but it looked dull. I wore my dull hair out anyway.

I'm going to cowash it tonight and twist it again. I've decided that I'm not going to worry too much about my twists not looking exactly like I want them. I'm just going to keep practicing them and see what happens. I'm hoping that some of the suggestions I've received will work out though, but I'll try not to be so hard on myself.

StephanieB

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 30th January 2010, 8:55 pm

Oooo don't be to hard on yourself and most importantly don't give up. I couldn't get it for the life of me but I just kept at it! You will do it!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by BlondeByDesire 30th January 2010, 9:09 pm

You will get the hang of it. Don't stress over it. I find that when I'm not perfect ... that's when my hair turns out the best.
BlondeByDesire
BlondeByDesire

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 31st January 2010, 12:02 am

StephanieB wrote:I dry twisted my hair last night b/c I had never done that before and I wanted to see what the twistout would look like. I didn't care for the results. My hair was frizzier than normal and my hair looked dry. It felt moisturized, but it looked dull. I wore my dull hair out anyway.

I'm going to cowash it tonight and twist it again. I've decided that I'm not going to worry too much about my twists not looking exactly like I want them. I'm just going to keep practicing them and see what happens. I'm hoping that some of the suggestions I've received will work out though, but I'll try not to be so hard on myself.

Here's a little tidbit....when I dry twist my hair, I still use a product on each section I twist. I hope this helps.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 31st January 2010, 8:03 pm

Definitely keep trying! The more you do it the better it will get.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by StephanieB 1st February 2010, 2:29 pm

@ Lynnie - I'll keep that in mind the next time I do them dry.

I'm wearing another twistout today. I'm getting good at the twistouts but my twists just don't look like I want them to. I'm going to do small twists on Wednesday and I'm going to really take my time and do them. I'll post pics on Wednesday.

I get more compliments every time I wear my twistout. I try not to be too concerned with getting compliments, but they certainly do help! lol

StephanieB

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 1st February 2010, 3:00 pm

Yes, compliments always help. LOL!
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by StephanieB 2nd February 2010, 10:24 pm

I just got done co-washing my hair and I did a length check and I found that, when strecthed, my hair comes to my jawline. I was actually surprised because I had never been concerned with length until now. I used to always get my hair cut. Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised with the length.

Tomorrow is the day I try the twists again. I'll post the outcome tomorrow. Smile

StephanieB

Back to top Go down

Post by StephanieB 3rd February 2010, 5:19 pm

I started twisting my hair early this morning on hair dampened by my spray bottle. I was doing the twists pretty small. After completing the front, I looked in the mirror to see how it looked and to determine if I wanted to finish it. I looked in the mirror and I decided I didn't like it. I think the twists themselves are fine, but I think the length is awkward and it looks odd on the sides to me.

Here are a few pictures of the twists:

So, after deciding that I didn't like the twists, I started to take them out since I've never liked the small twistouts with my hair. I was going to rewtist with chunkier twist and then do a twistout tomorrow. But when I started untwisting I really liked what I saw. I was shocked. So, I'm going to twist the back (which I never got to) and try to preserve the twistout in the front for tomorrow when I go back to work. This plan should work if I can just keep my hands out of my hair so it won't get frizzy. My hair feels really really soft right now.

Here are a few pictures of the twistout:

Last edited by StephanieB on 22nd February 2010, 10:43 am; edited 1 time in total

StephanieB

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkyNappyHappy 3rd February 2010, 5:33 pm

Hello StephanieB~

Welcometo the BnB challenge.... you will get tons of information here. I really like your twists and I agree you did a good job. I've heard that practice makes perfect...I'm still practicing. StephanieB Lol
KinkyNappyHappy
KinkyNappyHappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 3rd February 2010, 7:04 pm

Like I told you before, I like your twist....and the twist out is fabulous!!! Put on your big earrings and you are ready!!!
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by CocaColaCutie 3rd February 2010, 7:11 pm

looks good to me! you're making me want a twist out ...sigh... StephanieB Icon_sad
CocaColaCutie
CocaColaCutie

Back to top Go down

Post by StephanieB 3rd February 2010, 8:01 pm

KinkyNappyHappy wrote:Hello StephanieB~

Welcometo the BnB challenge.... you will get tons of information here. I really like your twists and I agree you did a good job. I've heard that practice makes perfect...I'm still practicing. StephanieB Lol

Thank you! I'm going to keep trying...I'm having too much fun to stop. StephanieB Icon_biggrin

Lynnieluve wrote:Like I told you before, I like your twist....and the twist out is fabulous!!! Put on your big earrings and you are ready!!!

Thanks Lynnie! I had most of the front of my hair twisted when hubby was leaving for work this morning and he said I looked "adorable". He doesn't know what I'm talking about either when I say my twists looks funny.

CocaColaCutie wrote:looks good to me! you're making me want a twist out ...sigh... StephanieB Icon_sad

Thank you! Why don't you do a twist out?

StephanieB

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 3rd February 2010, 8:07 pm

Your hubby may not know what you mean when you say your twist look funny but he knows when his wife looks adorable!!! StephanieB Icon_biggrin
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by StephanieB 4th February 2010, 2:17 pm

I'm wearing my twistout at work today and I have gotten so many compliments. It's almost embarrassing! I'm a quiet person that likes to sort of fade into the background, but this is apparently not a "fade-into-the-background" hairdo! lol

StephanieB

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum