CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Homemade Herbal infused Hair oils?

+6
Luscious Mahogany
Madeaj
Ladybird
1FlySista
LadyMika
simplysloan
10 posters

Go down

Homemade Herbal infused Hair oils? Empty Homemade Herbal infused Hair oils?

Post by simplysloan 5th February 2011, 9:56 am

Today I decided im going to make my own Amla oil, since I didn't really care for the Darbur stuff.
I've never really made anything like this, where im using the actual ingredient and not just some EO's.

Im also wondering about making my own Vati. Oil as well. And maybe some Hibiscus oil too!

However before I run crazy, I need to get this Amla oil right.

Does anyone make their own oils? Maybe share a recipe?
simplysloan
simplysloan

Back to top Go down

Homemade Herbal infused Hair oils? Empty Re: Homemade Herbal infused Hair oils?

Post by LadyMika 5th February 2011, 10:30 am

Richeau on You Tube recently did a video on how she made her own herbal infused oils. If it's for skin or hair, I can't remember, but she does show the process.
LadyMika
LadyMika

http://metalkink.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 1FlySista 5th February 2011, 2:08 pm

Hey check out this YT channel. If herbal/ayurvedic infusions are what you are in search of, this is the go to chick! ReviveUK is awesome! Subscribe to her blog and channel and also check out her current and archived videos or purchase products from her web store. Great resource.

1FlySista
1FlySista

http://www.goddyssey.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ladybird 5th February 2011, 2:31 pm

Girl that is so up my alley ....i just made a batch of infused black tea oil for breakage.

Next stop ...Henna oil !!!!

@ Simply sloan ..how do plan on making ur Amla oil...i have tons of Indian powders and now on the band wagon to make oil with them.

Please share Very Happy

tks
Ladybird
Ladybird

Back to top Go down

Post by simplysloan 6th February 2011, 5:44 pm

@ 1FlySista I LOVE her!! Watching her vids gave me the boost i needed to make my own infused oils!

@Ladybird, I found a blog spot, where the women there talked about steeping their dried herbs in oil, and basically that's exactly what I did.
I used about 3 tablespoons of Amla powder and about a cup of EVOO and mixed it in a pot and just warmed the oil. (on my stove it's the lowest setting, like just enough to warm it.) And let that go for a few hours. Then I ran it through a few layers of Cheese cloth (and a Nylon!) and now it's good to go! There is a bit of sediment at the bottom, but I'm only going to use this as a pre-poo for now So im not too worried.

Today I tried to make a Hibiscus oil... Wah Wahhh... I don't think it turned out. I had to Hydrate the flowers because they were dried, I squeezed and patted them dry, but I think all I did was cook them a bit. (This time I used Coconut oil I got on sale at Meijer) The oil has a bit of a smell, but Im unsure if anything else happened. *shrug*

How did your black tea oil come out? How did you make it?
simplysloan
simplysloan

Back to top Go down

Post by Madeaj 6th February 2011, 7:07 pm

@SimplySloan

Dried flowers are the best to use. Don't hydrate them. I put mine in abone dry oven safe bowl, covered with oil and put on 170 - 200 for 3 hours. Then I strained the oil into a bottle. Next time I am going to leave the herbs in the oil for a longer time on 170. Frankly to be safe, I would throw out the ones with water in, because water adds all kinds of tiny unseen beasties to the oil. It'll go rancid sooner.
Madeaj
Madeaj

Back to top Go down

Post by simplysloan 8th February 2011, 12:26 pm

Madeaj wrote:@SimplySloan

Dried flowers are the best to use. Don't hydrate them. I put mine in abone dry oven safe bowl, covered with oil and put on 170 - 200 for 3 hours. Then I strained the oil into a bottle. Next time I am going to leave the herbs in the oil for a longer time on 170. Frankly to be safe, I would throw out the ones with water in, because water adds all kinds of tiny unseen beasties to the oil. It'll go rancid sooner.

Aw man!

Im glad I didn't make a ton, But I think you're right...
simplysloan
simplysloan

Back to top Go down

Post by Ladybird 9th February 2011, 12:34 pm

Hey Simply sorry for the late reply. My black tea oil was a first Smile . I used 3 bags of English Black Tea with about 1/2 cup EVOO, warmed on the stove ...very low heat for about 15-20 mins the put it to set over night.

I could not wait because i wanted to use it the next day, it was henna and Indian powders was day so i wanted to ad my oils to my regime.

I added my Black tea oil to my conditioner, henna, and did a pre-poo treatment with it. Not sure if i did anything until my next was weekend ( i only do my hair once a month)
Will let u know how that goes.
Ladybird
Ladybird

Back to top Go down

Post by Luscious Mahogany 10th February 2011, 11:12 am

@ Ladybird,

Hi I'm new to the site and still researching EVERYTHING lol, but you mentioned the black tea oil for breakage...did it work for you because I intend to try it? I am still in transition as I still have some relaxer left to grow out but I had been having alot of shedding and breakage and i'm always looking for something to help it.
Luscious Mahogany
Luscious Mahogany

Back to top Go down

Post by Ladybird 10th February 2011, 12:20 pm

Hey Luscious, welcome!!!!

First, let me say I am No expert and i do not know everything. So, i am only going by what i think make sense and will works for me.

O.K back to to my so called Black Tea Oil Very Happy Like i said this is my first time trying this and cannot give an honest opinion yet.

My hair breaks and sheds alot and i decided to try this "remedy" because I like making my own stuff and this was fairly easy to do.

I also decided to make a Black Tea Spritz to use on a daily basis as well...let see how that works and do a Black Tea Rinse when i do my wash.

I am going to do this for a month and then decided if this works or not

One thing i have learned with shedding and breaking... If your hair is still growing while breaking is nothing to worry about

HTH
Ladybird
Ladybird

Back to top Go down

Post by Luscious Mahogany 10th February 2011, 12:47 pm

Thanks Ladybird!!

Ok I think I'll try it mixed with a conditioner. I will officially have my hair out naturally after this weekend. I put individuals in so that I could research products and styles for when I wear it out, which I have been doing over the last three weeks. So tomorrow I'm going to be a PJ and try some starter products and officially begin this exciting journey!! I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions and thankful that now I have a whole community outlet to ask...besides I think i've been tiring my friend whose been natural for years with all my inquiries LOL! But thanks I'll be in touch!!
Luscious Mahogany
Luscious Mahogany

Back to top Go down

Post by Ladybird 10th February 2011, 1:11 pm

Hey Lus.. No problem.

Just use what u think makes sense to u and your hair, and don't get overwhelmed with ALL info out there.

Best of luck and enjoy the journey!!!!
Ladybird
Ladybird

Back to top Go down

Post by Luscious Mahogany 10th February 2011, 2:48 pm

Thanks girl!!
Luscious Mahogany
Luscious Mahogany

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 10th February 2011, 6:56 pm

1FlySista wrote:Hey check out this YT channel. If herbal/ayurvedic infusions are what you are in search of, this is the go to chick! ReviveUK is awesome! Subscribe to her blog and channel and also check out her current and archived videos or purchase products from her web store. Great resource.

I forgot about her. I have to subscribe to her channel. I watched many of her videos a year or so ago, very informative. I need to make some oils or teas from the powders I have that leave too many particles when used as a paste (water only added).

Last edited by ChrsLvsBks on 10th February 2011, 6:58 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added text)
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ladybird 11th February 2011, 12:29 pm

Hello all,
So i bought Alot of My Indian Powders and i am going to make a whole bunch of oils with them. This should last me for about 6mths.

Going to use to pre-poo, condition, henna and what ever else i cam think of along with my black tea rinse and spritz.

Summer Fro here i come afro
Ladybird
Ladybird

Back to top Go down

Post by CarlaAR 18th February 2011, 1:59 am

Ladybird wrote: Girl that is so up my alley ....i just made a batch of infused black tea oil for breakage.

Next stop ...Henna oil !!!!

@ Simply sloan ..how do plan on making ur Amla oil...i have tons of Indian powders and now on the band wagon to make oil with them.

Please share Very Happy

tks

I do henna powder treatments on my hair, but didn't know henna oil was beneficial. Does it help for strengthening the hair?
CarlaAR
CarlaAR

Back to top Go down

Post by Ladybird 18th February 2011, 12:10 pm

Hey CarlaAR... I am just experimenting with Henna Oil, i use a alot of Henna and i thought why not make a Henna oil to do my pre-poo and DC.!!! i made a batch about a week ago and i am letting set to use.

I like Indian powders, because they seem to agree with my hair and i use them quite frequently. I will give a verdict when i use my "Henna Oil "

Ladybird
Ladybird

Back to top Go down

Post by CarlaAR 18th February 2011, 2:03 pm

Ladybird - Please do! I'm constantly looking for pre-poo and oil rinse treatments. Smile
CarlaAR
CarlaAR

Back to top Go down

Post by SimplyWholistic 19th February 2011, 9:46 pm

I make all my infused oils using this technique - http://www.bulkherbstore.com/articles/i-made-an-herb-girl-out-of-me?utm_source=Bulk+Herb+Store+Newsletter&utm_campaign=5e71da6d50-Bulk_Herb_Store_Newsletter4_9_2010&utm_medium=email

It is better to infused on low heat for several days so that the properties of the herbs can be extracted into the oil. When an herbal extraction or tincture (in alcohol) is made it takes 2 to 4 weeks.

SimplyWholistic

Back to top Go down

Post by Madeaj 19th February 2011, 9:55 pm

Thank you
SimplyWholistic

That sounds exactly like what I need. My black tea oil was nice and dark, but I want it stronger. Next time I will try making herbal oils this way.
Madeaj
Madeaj

Back to top Go down

Post by essentialoils 21st February 2011, 1:26 am

Medicinal Oils can be used alone, or can form the basis of salves and balms. The general principal is simple: Oil + heat + herbs = Herbal Oil. Homemade herbal oils are fresher, contain no chemical preservatives, and save loads of money.
essentialoils
essentialoils

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down