CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Coconut Oil Any one??

+8
Neems
Maricopa
dajewel
MissCurly
BajanPrincess82
splitsun
snappynappy
DanyelleLoves
12 posters

Go down

Coconut Oil Any one?? Empty Coconut Oil Any one??

Post by DanyelleLoves 12th May 2010, 1:39 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Hello, hello [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

How do you lovelies use coconut oil in your hair? Do you use coconut oil? How often? Do you mix it with other products?

OH! And I am the only person who hates the smell of extra virgin coconut oil? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Answers appreciated [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
DanyelleLoves
DanyelleLoves

http://smartmouthme.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Coconut Oil Any one?? Empty Re: Coconut Oil Any one??

Post by snappynappy 12th May 2010, 2:35 am

I hate the smell of EVCO too.I just bought a container, I havent even used it and I have already gagged at the smell. It could be becuase I hate the smell of coconuts. I prefer the smell of regular CO or Vatika Oil. I prepoo with Vatika Oil and I use CO in my DCs and too add shine to my twistouts.
snappynappy
snappynappy

Back to top Go down

Post by splitsun 12th May 2010, 5:19 am

I've only used regular coconut oil but I use it almost daily with water to spritz/moisturize my hair.
splitsun
splitsun

Back to top Go down

Post by BajanPrincess82 12th May 2010, 11:29 am

I use it mixed with shea butter. Its a really good moisturizing mix for me. By the way, I love your kinky twists!
BajanPrincess82
BajanPrincess82

Back to top Go down

Post by MissCurly 12th May 2010, 12:52 pm

I LOVE coconut oil I use it to seal my hair after doing a braid out and just to add shine to my hair. I always have soft silky strands when using coconut oil. By the way I LOVE the smell Smile Thats my boo!
MissCurly
MissCurly

Back to top Go down

Post by DanyelleLoves 12th May 2010, 1:14 pm

Yesterday was the first time i didn't gag at the smell. I mixed a little of the CO in a spray bottle with water and HE HH to put on the new growth of my hair.

What's Vatika oil?
DanyelleLoves
DanyelleLoves

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 12th May 2010, 1:30 pm

i use coconut oil or some variation of such in every step of my hair regimen because it is one of the few oils documented that can penetrate the hair, it has been scientifically shown to keep hair protein intact and it and it variations (such as cetyl alcohol) are weak to mild detergents.

i use coconut oil as part of my deep conditioning process, in my sheaaloe castor oil mix, to seal, to condition, etc. i really like to mx it with shea butter to help condition and be a anti-humectant.
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by Maricopa 12th May 2010, 1:40 pm

Well what can I say about using coconut oil...it is not only a great sealant for my hair, but it makes my hair oh so soft [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] . I can't live w/o my CO. I also mix it with my "shea butter" . Oh yeah! after a shower it is excellent on my skin. It takes away the ashy's while leaving my skin silky smooth. The smell, to me it's not so bad....you will get used to it, the benifits out weigh the smell.
Maricopa
Maricopa

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 12th May 2010, 1:42 pm

oh, and i forgot to add since it is a great carrier oil, its a great way to freshen up the smell of my hair when i had applied kbb products the day before.
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by DanyelleLoves 12th May 2010, 2:48 pm

Omg I have never considered using it on my skin and I have dry skin (except on my face). Thanx for the great suggestions ladies [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Also, is it true that it can leave the hair feeling greasy? I ask because I am starting to realize that at times I tend to be a bit heavy-handed when it comes to applying product.
DanyelleLoves
DanyelleLoves

Back to top Go down

Post by Neems 12th May 2010, 3:37 pm

I use coconut oil all the time. I actually started using it by accident last summer,lol. I ran out of hair oil and raided the kitchen cabinet looking for somthing to twist my hair and found a bottle my mom didn't need. Low and behold it's my favorite product.
The smell isn't that great but a couple of drops of peppermint, lavender or tangerine oil mask it pretty well. I apply it every other day or so, but most after KCKT, it melts easily so be careful. It seals my hair and makes it soft. Soemtimes I mix it with shea butter. It also gives me great shine.
Neems
Neems

http://neemsnthings.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Nikcoils 12th May 2010, 4:13 pm

I use it regularly on my twist and when i unravel my twist outs. It is a great sealant. I love the smell! Better than EVOO. It leave my hair soft and very shiney.
Nikcoils
Nikcoils

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 12th May 2010, 5:28 pm

oh yeah, and i use it on my skin religously. it's a great tanner and it just brings out your tanned skin even more after u have been in the sun
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by jlowman1 12th May 2010, 6:07 pm

I use it with shea butter, coconut oil, EVOO and castor oil in my shea butter mix. I also use to to pre-poo and to seal my ends. I use it when I unravel my twists as well. It makes my hair very shiny.

I also use it in conjunction with shea butter for my skin.
jlowman1
jlowman1

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 12th May 2010, 6:10 pm

I agree with the smell but I am getting use to it.

I used coconut oil several ways....It works really well in conjunction with Giovanni Direct Leave in. I use it my shea butter mix. I have also used it to "grease" my scalp. I use it to unravel my twist.

Lastly, thanks to Dajawel, I used EVCO with EVOO to deep condition. This combo is DA TRUTH!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

It sounds like you are still transitioning (??). If so, make sure you use small amounts. If you use too much, your hair will feel hard and dry.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 12th May 2010, 6:44 pm

ur welcome, lynnieluve!!
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by DanyelleLoves 12th May 2010, 11:12 pm

Thank u ladies sooo much for your responses.

And yes I am still transitioning. I've planned for my BC to be in July, after a trip to Houston, TX [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I'm excited for both.

@Lynnie Ur twists are gorgeous and the updo is really sophisticated [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
DanyelleLoves
DanyelleLoves

Back to top Go down

Post by HappyCurly 12th May 2010, 11:17 pm

I agree; I love coconut oil mixed with olive oil ! I mixed olive oil, coconut and water tonight to moisturize my scalp.

question: Where do you get un refined coconut oil? I use extra virgin olive oil, but my coconut oil is hte bleached, de-oderized kind. It smells fresh, but I want to smell coconuts!!

HappyCurly

Back to top Go down

Post by DanyelleLoves 12th May 2010, 11:33 pm

I got my coconut oil from a local health food store (The Natural Food Patch if you're in the Detroit/Royal Oak/Ferndale-area). Mine is by Spectrum. It's organic and unrefined. U can always do a search for unrefined coconut oil. You could check out The Vitamin Shoppe's website as well.
DanyelleLoves
DanyelleLoves

Back to top Go down

Post by HappyCurly 12th May 2010, 11:35 pm

thanks!!

HappyCurly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down