CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LoveSunshine17

+13
lina40
Kea::curls
Juices-n-Berries
LilMsPuddles
Intelligentbeauty
Freestyles
sweetdrk1
AfrikanLatina
Lynnieluve
CocaColaCutie
HumanNature
ChrsLvsBks
lovesunshine17
17 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

LoveSunshine17 - Page 3 Empty Re: LoveSunshine17

Post by lovesunshine17 15th February 2010, 2:02 pm

lol lynn LoveSunshine17 - Page 3 Herz

Sorry guys!!! I was out of the country for all of January with little to no internet so I wasn't able to update this~~ then I just got lazy these past few days. But I promise to be active again and let you all know my juicy hair mishaps! LoveSunshine17 - Page 3 Icon_biggrin

Ummm, so let's see... My school had a really long winter break this year so I went to Jamaica to see my family and boyfriend. I had so much fun and played with my hair like everyday!! I don't know why but I had little to no breakage although I was washing my hair maybe three times a week and styling every other day or two. Maybe because it was so humid? My hair felt super healthy and moist everyday. The only products I brought with me were Cantu Shea Butter, Aubrey Organics JAY Shampoo and Jojoba & Aloe Conditioner, Organix Coconut Milk Shampoo, Herbal Essences Hello Hydration Conditioner, and carrot oil. I moisturized with about a quarter size of shea butter everyday and applied carrot oil to my ends and edges. (I've been looking at my edges this week and it looks like they are growing in very nicely! LoveSunshine17 - Page 3 Icon_smile They got pulled back from too many tight braids and my last relaxer left a lot of chemical burns that took out my edges. LoveSunshine17 - Page 3 Icon_cry) I rocked everything from tiny twists to a mini-BAA while I was down there. And I learned how to flat twist with acrylic nails, lol. Cornrowing was definitely out of the picture.

One word of advice about Aubrey Organics and suitcases: they don't go well together. LMAO. When I opened my suitcase the shampoo had spilled into the little compartment I put my beauty supplies in. I couldn't figure out why because although the top was securely on, it kept seeping out of the bottle if it wasn't upright. LoveSunshine17 - Page 3 Suspect My roommate also had similar problems with her AO shampoo bottle when she went home to Cali... so I probably won't take it with me again when I go traveling.

So my bf started calling me his African Queen because once when I went to meet him I had a huge twist out, big gold earrings, and my outfit had all the colors of the Pan-African flag. LoL. That made me laugh. LoveSunshine17 - Page 3 Icon_lol So I was actually kind of scared when I first arrived because although I told him in October that I was going natural, I never told him when I BC'ed my hair in mid-December. So when we first met up, I rolled out of my cousin's house with a winter hat on... in 90 degree weather. LMAO. He proceeded to laugh at my ridiculousness and tried to take off my hat (at least it matched my outfit). Anyways, I told him not to touch my hat and in the same breath I said that I cut off my hair. His face literally dropped. LoveSunshine17 - Page 3 Kopfschuettel He was like "What?! You cut your hair? Why?!" I felt really... ? But the next day I wore it out in a pinned back fro and he slowly got used to it. By week number two he was giving me tips on hairstyles, LoL. LoveSunshine17 - Page 3 Herz So I really feel like he's been one of my biggest supporters in my hair journey because he was there when I wrestled with the idea of a relaxer and gave me the pros and cons of the situation. He always assured me that natural hair is lovely and beautiful. And although he freaked out when I told him I cut my hair (maybe he thought I cut it really, really short~ he, like most black guys I know, seem to prefer long hair) he quickly got used to it, saw how happy it made me, and started to play in it. Hahaha, yay! Win for me! (He also loves the smell of Cantu~ LoveSunshine17 - Page 3 Icon_wink)

Surprisingly, my aunt (who's a hair stylist) didn't know any natural styles... LoveSunshine17 - Page 3 Icon_sad But that helped me to make me more creative. When I got back to the cold, blistering winter up here my hair dried up like an old prune. HAHAHAHA. But really, it was awful. My hair felt like straw! I still had it out in an old twist out so I immediately co-washed and re-twisted. It stayed extra dry for like a week. Maybe readjustment period? Also since I've been back my hair has been breaking non-stop. I don't know what to do!!!!!!! When I wash or style it, a sizable portion of hair ends up on the ground. I've been moisturizing daily... what's going on? I decided to put in protective styles and leave it alone. Right now I have half a head of mini-twists and half a head of finger coils.

So hair plans for 2010:
1) protective styling through mid-March
2) weave for three months (So I really miss having straight hair but I don't want to flat iron and cause any damage so I'm going to get a really cute sew-in for a little while. I might also invest in a wig for days in the future when I don't have $$$ for a weave.)
3) summer length check LoveSunshine17 - Page 3 Icon_razz
4) wear it out!!!
5) braids in July
6) protective styling
7) braids in November

Hair goals:
1) by January 2011, I want to have shoulder length hair after washing it
2) by December 2012, I want to have bra strap length hair after washing it

I'm toying with the idea of locs...

Picture time! LoveSunshine17 - Page 3 Icon_biggrin LoveSunshine17 - Page 3 Icon_biggrin

LoveSunshine17 - Page 3 01910
Wash and go~
LoveSunshine17 - Page 3 01810
Flat twist sides, bantu knot out bangs/crown, twist out back~
LoveSunshine17 - Page 3 00910
Chunky twist out~
LoveSunshine17 - Page 3 02310
My aunt blew out and kind of flat ironed my hair~ mini length check. It's the same length as it was in high school. Yay!! LoveSunshine17 - Page 3 Icon_bounce
LoveSunshine17 - Page 3 5010
Fluffed up twist out
LoveSunshine17 - Page 3 01911
Birthday~ I'm 22 now Smile OMG live lobster in my hand >.<
lovesunshine17
lovesunshine17

Back to top Go down

LoveSunshine17 - Page 3 Empty More pics~

Post by lovesunshine17 15th February 2010, 2:12 pm

LoveSunshine17 - Page 3 01010
Pinned up twist out~ first day of spring semester Smile
LoveSunshine17 - Page 3 01410
Look at the coils Very Happy
LoveSunshine17 - Page 3 00610
First fohawk! Look at my edges~~~ Smile
LoveSunshine17 - Page 3 01310
Finger coils
lovesunshine17
lovesunshine17

Back to top Go down

Post by bholmes87 15th February 2010, 3:25 pm

Your hair was looking really good!!! I love the styles you did and it looks very healthy Smile
bholmes87
bholmes87

http://fotki.com/bholmes87

Back to top Go down

Post by lovesunshine17 29th March 2010, 5:37 pm

bholmes87 wrote:Your hair was looking really good!!! I love the styles you did and it looks very healthy Smile

thank you! Smile

I deep conditioned and did my first apple cider vinegar rinse last Thursday. Handling the ACV seemed kinda difficult because I was pouring it out of a bowl unto my head, lol. But I think I managed to get 75% of my hair. I didn't feel like mixing more vinegar because of the smell but I guess I'll know for next time... maybe I should use a cup? Anyways, I poured about three tablespoons of ACV into my bowl then filled it to the brim with hot water. I stirred it with my finger and used it after rinsing out all my conditioner.

When I deep condition I usually do it on dry hair then shampoo it out and conditioner once more so that I can detangle. I've noticed that I'm retaining a lot more length now that its not too cold so maybe my hair likes to shed in the winter. I think to limit that problem next winter (if I'm in a cold environment) I'll apply shea butter and castor oil to my hair every three days along with daily moisturizing. I bought a tub of shea butter and a bottle of castor oil two weeks ago when I went home to NYC and my hair has been in bliss. LoveSunshine17 - Page 3 Herz Its extremely soft, shiny, and resilient. Once I use up my bookshelf of products I think I'm going to simplify my regimen because I'm wasting waaaay too much money. I'll only purchase shampoo, deep conditioner/cholesterol, trader joes nourish spa conditioner, olive, carrot, castor, and grapeseed oils, raw shea butter, and pure aloe gel. I'm coming to the final stages of my PJism~ there are only two more products I want to try: Karen's Body Beautiful Hair Milk and Hair Butter. Other than that the only thing I need is some HE Hello Hydration which I probably won't purchase until the fall because I have four bottles of conditioner waiting to be used up...

LoveSunshine17 - Page 3 14910
Deep conditioning! Smile
lovesunshine17
lovesunshine17

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 29th March 2010, 6:48 pm

Hey! Glad you checked in.

It's always great when you figure out what you hair wants. I am also getting to the end of the PJ road. I have simplified my products....now to use up all the other stuff.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by FemmeFox 29th March 2010, 7:30 pm

Hi LoveSunshine and Fluffy,

Just read your thread and wanted to say wassup. Your hair is looking wonderful. So jelly that you were in Jamaica!
FemmeFox
FemmeFox

Back to top Go down

Post by lovesunshine17 30th March 2010, 5:30 pm

Lynnieluve wrote:Hey! Glad you checked in.

It's always great when you figure out what you hair wants. I am also getting to the end of the PJ road. I have simplified my products....now to use up all the other stuff.

LoL, the stuff left to use up is the scariest part for me~ I wonder when all the bottles will be empty and I can finally put books back on my shelves. Smile

FemmeFox wrote:Hi LoveSunshine and Fluffy,

Just read your thread and wanted to say wassup. Your hair is looking wonderful. So jelly that you were in Jamaica!

Hey FemmeFox! Thanks for checking out my thread. LoveSunshine17 - Page 3 Icon_razz Are you Jamaican too?

Its been raining non-stop recently and I feel like doing nothing with my hair. There's a freshman in my Introduction to African-American Studies class with gorgeous twists!! They are super tiny though which explains why I rarely see her without them. (I would NOT want to sit and take those out. They look like they took at least 5 or 6 hours to do.) They are very similar to this style: http://www.curlynikki.com/2010/01/mini-twists-on-natural-hair.html. I'm thinking of maybe doing my hair this way. Why? 1) really cute protective style, 2) senior spring is making me lazy. LoL... Right now I'm rocking medium sized twists that I rolled and pinned up in four sections with a bang. I think its cute and easy to deal with because all I have to do at night is take out the bobby pins, moisturize with my water, glycerine, and conditioner mix, and cover with my satin head scarf. In the mornings I spritz, re-pin and go! Smile
lovesunshine17
lovesunshine17

Back to top Go down

Post by FemmeFox 31st March 2010, 12:43 pm

lovesunshine17 wrote:
FemmeFox wrote:Hi LoveSunshine and Fluffy,

Hey FemmeFox! Thanks for checking out my thread. LoveSunshine17 - Page 3 Icon_razz Are you Jamaican too?

Not Jamaican. Just here in California wishing for a island vacation!

Its been raining non-stop recently and I feel like doing nothing with my hair. There's a freshman in my Introduction to African-American Studies class with gorgeous twists!! They are super tiny though which explains why I rarely see her without them. (I would NOT want to sit and take those out. They look like they took at least 5 or 6 hours to do.) They are very similar to this style: http://www.curlynikki.com/2010/01/mini-twists-on-natural-hair.html. I'm thinking of maybe doing my hair this way. Why? 1) really cute protective style, 2) senior spring is making me lazy. LoL... Right now I'm rocking medium sized twists that I rolled and pinned up in four sections with a bang. I think its cute and easy to deal with because all I have to do at night is take out the bobby pins, moisturize with my water, glycerine, and conditioner mix, and cover with my satin head scarf. In the mornings I spritz, re-pin and go! Smile
I love doing twists. Since I'm still in the twa stage I usually do medium sized twists...I really like the mini twist look thougn. Maybe when I get some more length.
FemmeFox
FemmeFox

Back to top Go down

Post by lovesunshine17 31st March 2010, 5:07 pm

I finished my mini-twists this morning before class (well I was 15 minutes late but... yeah, lol)~ You can see them in my video below: