CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Updates!

+13
QuietButterfly
Fleur
JessiWantsCurls
funkyhairchic
cyclingchick
BlondeByDesire
KinkyNappyHappy
krazy coils
jeanlouisangel
CocoEuro
CrissyQ
sweetdrk1
DivaDreamgirl
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Updates! Empty Hello everyone from DivaDreamgirl!

Post by DivaDreamgirl 23rd December 2010, 5:26 pm

Hello everyone! After stalking viewing everyone else’s CSJs, I decided to start my own to share my personal natural journey!

My "gubment" name is Damali, but most people call me "D." I was very fortunate that my relaxed hair was healthy, I just got tired of chemical burns and paying an arm and a leg just go home and restyle my own hair. I was to a point where I was relaxing my own hair and even had salon size buckets of relaxer in my house. Little did I know, that stuff goes bad! So shortly after my wedding (March ’08), I went to perm my hair and it didn’t take…but I didn’t realize it until 3 (yes 3!) attempted tries later!! So I decided I would go natural…so I thought. It sounded great, I mean my mom has been natural her whole life, it’s easy right? Boy was I wrong! I gave up after a few weeks due to lack of natural hair knowledge, bought a new small jar of relaxer and went to work. Fast forward to this year. My sister was a LT transitioner. Her last relaxer was August ’08. She has always had between CBL and APL hair so if she could to it, so could I! Bottom line, it was time for me to embrace my natural and shoot for that big curly ‘fro I had always desired!! Below are some pics of my relaxed hair:

Updates! Olan_m10
Updates! Anniv10

As you can see in my signature, my last relaxer was February 21, 2010 and my BC was August 21, 2010. So I have been fully natural for a few days over 4 months!! Check out a few BC pics:

a comic strip!

I absolutely LOVED the new me! I was strutting around like I was the baddest thing this side of the Mississippi River!! I was e-mailing everyone with pictures and buying up EVERY (and I mean EVERY) product I heard was good for natural hair. Little did I know [cue the violins], my number one fan (my hubby) did not like my new look! He knew I was getting the chop and had no problem with my hair being natural, but had never witnessed my hair being so short! I was crushed and ego-deflated. How could he NOT like it? I was so FLYYYY!! He made a point to explain to me that he LOVED me, but did not LIKE my hair. He also made sure to let me know that even though he didn’t like it (yet) he still supported my need for this transition and did not want me to relax again.
Fast forward again to the last month! My hubby is always playing in my hair and getting excited when I try new styles. He is very honest, so he will also tell me, “unhunh babe, that’s not it!!” This week I wore my hair in a puff and he was so excited! I got a, “yeah babe, I like that!”
woot! dance run

a comic strip!

So everyday is a process. Through this journey I believe my husband and I have both matured in our marriage and have conquered some feats that we never thought we would see. As a result I love him even more and I am so thankful for his support.

So ladies, that’s the just of my story. I look forward to the support of this community for many months to come! I think this is long enough for now. I will come back with my regimen/products/etc. later!

Here's a few styles from the last 4 months:

Wash-n-go (Sorry it's so dark!)
Updates! Flying10

Fro-Hawk
Updates! Frohaw10

Twist-out
Updates! Dsc_0011

Roller Set
Updates! Roller10

Bantu-Knot out (I got highlights shortly before this picture)
Updates! Dsc_0210

Last edited by DivaDreamgirl on 24th December 2010, 3:55 am; edited 1 time in total
DivaDreamgirl
DivaDreamgirl

Back to top Go down

Updates! Empty Re: Updates!

Post by sweetdrk1 23rd December 2010, 5:52 pm

Welcome to Curl Street! I love the story! That twist out is Hawt! I am happy hubby is coming around!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by CrissyQ 23rd December 2010, 6:49 pm

welcome
CrissyQ
CrissyQ

Back to top Go down

Post by DivaDreamgirl 23rd December 2010, 8:26 pm

sweetdrk1 wrote:Welcome to Curl Street! I love the story! That twist out is Hawt! I am happy hubby is coming around!

Thanks sweetdrk1! And good luck with BC #2! Wink

CrissyQ wrote:welcome

Thanks CrissyQ!
DivaDreamgirl
DivaDreamgirl

Back to top Go down

Post by CocoEuro 23rd December 2010, 8:36 pm

No way, MY middle name is my Damali!!!! I did a double take when I read your post!!! Welcome to Curl Street!!!
CocoEuro
CocoEuro

http://naturalcurlykinks.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanlouisangel 23rd December 2010, 8:50 pm

Hello Diva Dreamgirl..Welcome to the street..Hopefully your journey will be more and more enriching..Your hair is gorgeous and I enjoyed your story..My hubby has not actually seen my hair straight, so he would be weirded out if I straightened it..lol..but God bless you guys and looking forward to more pics of the beautiful hair...Blessings flower
jeanlouisangel
jeanlouisangel

Back to top Go down

Post by DivaDreamgirl 23rd December 2010, 9:03 pm

CocoEuro wrote:No way, MY middle name is my Damali!!!! I did a double take when I read your post!!! Welcome to Curl Street!!!

Thanks!! dance Hooray for your middle name!! I'm glad I'm not the only one that gets geeked when someone shares my name! There is actually a facebook group for people with the name Damali! If you haven't seen it you should check it out!!

jeanlouisangel wrote:Hello Diva Dreamgirl..Welcome to the street..Hopefully your journey will be more and more enriching..Your hair is gorgeous and I enjoyed your story..My hubby has not actually seen my hair straight, so he would be weirded out if I straightened it..lol..but God bless you guys and looking forward to more pics of the beautiful hair...Blessings flower

I have learned so much on CN already...I am looking forward to much more knowledge! Thanks!!
DivaDreamgirl
DivaDreamgirl

Back to top Go down

Post by krazy coils 23rd December 2010, 11:19 pm

Welcome to Curl Street!
krazy coils
krazy coils

http://public.fotki.com/kamaia16/, https://www.youtube.com/user/k

Back to top Go down

Post by DivaDreamgirl 27th December 2010, 11:38 am

krazy coils wrote:Welcome to Curl Street!

Thanks!
DivaDreamgirl
DivaDreamgirl

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkyNappyHappy 27th December 2010, 11:51 am

Hi D...

I must say this...you really wear natural hair well. I enjoyed reading your story, but as I looked at your relaxed pictures and then look at your pictures with natural hair...I was very impressed with the natural you!!

I love your puff picture, and I'm glad that your hubby has been so supportive.

Hope you had a wonderful Christmas, and Welcome to CS!!

KinkyNappyHappy
KinkyNappyHappy

Back to top Go down

Post by DivaDreamgirl 27th December 2010, 1:07 pm

KinkyNappyHappy wrote:Hi D...

I must say this...you really wear natural hair well. I enjoyed reading your story, but as I looked at your relaxed pictures and then look at your pictures with natural hair...I was very impressed with the natural you!!

I love your puff picture, and I'm glad that your hubby has been so supportive.

Hope you had a wonderful Christmas, and Welcome to CS!!

Thanks so much!! I'm so impressed with the versatility I can achieve with such short length!! People at work always say, "Everytime I see you, your hair looks different!" (and they see me everyday!!)
DivaDreamgirl
DivaDreamgirl

Back to top Go down

Post by BlondeByDesire 27th December 2010, 1:45 pm

Hello and welcome ... you've come to the right place.
BlondeByDesire
BlondeByDesire

Back to top Go down

Post by DivaDreamgirl 28th December 2010, 12:19 pm

BlondeByDesire wrote:Hello and welcome ... you've come to the right place.

Thanks BBD! I'm glad to be here! I am learning so much!!
DivaDreamgirl
DivaDreamgirl

Back to top Go down

Updates! Empty Hello again! Back from a CN Break with Pics!

Post by DivaDreamgirl 30th January 2011, 9:30 pm

Whoo! Where do I begin…first off I must say I have certainly missed you curly girls! I created my CSJ back in December for my 4 month post-bc anniversary. On January 2nd, I went on a 28 day spiritual journey with my church that included much praying along with the Daniel fast. In my attempt to grow, I also chose to fast from the three things that distracted me the most: regular music, Facebook, and the Curly Nikki forum. It was quite challenging, I must say! I felt so out of the loop, but eventually got over around day 3. This time off has forced me to rely on myself to expand my natural hair knowledge since I didn’t have my usual CN resource! I even tried to substitute with another forum (which will remain nameless) but it really kind of sucked and made me miss CN even more! Needless to say, I’m back!!

So, a few things I’ve learned about my hair during my hiatus:

1. My hair is very fine and no matter what I do, my scalp will not shrink into my hair, therefore making protective styles quite a challenge
2. Tangle Teezer is my new BFF!
3. My hair LOVES YTCarrots and YTTomatoes
4. Because my hair is fine, my hair HATES heavy creams and LOVES water-based moisturizers
5. I actually can do wash-n-go’s thanks to my new BFF!!
6. Twistouts only look good on my when they are TNCs.

Here are a few styles that I tried this month:

Happy New Year!
Updates! Dsc00410

Curlformers [My hubby totally loved my blue/green Greek goddess look! Ha! J/K]
I'm not sure how I feel about these yet...I probably should have fluffed more, but I was trying to make them last. I feel real country in this pic although I oddly got a lot of compliments!
Updates! Img_0311 Updates! Img_0310

Curly Puff [excuse the retarded expression!]
Updates! Surpri10

Twist-N-Curl (from Day 3 Rollerset)
Updates! Img_0312

Wash-n-go
Updates! Img_0313

...which I turned into a puff on day 2
Updates! Img_0314

Well, I have a lot of catching up to do! Ta-ta for now! run

DivaDreamgirl
DivaDreamgirl

Back to top Go down

Updates! Empty Introducing...Eva!!

Post by DivaDreamgirl 30th January 2011, 10:48 pm

Oh...and I forgot to mention that I finally named my hair!

Introducing...EVA! afro
DivaDreamgirl
DivaDreamgirl

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 30th January 2011, 10:59 pm

Eva worked that WnG!! Welcome back!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by cyclingchick 3rd February 2011, 12:53 am

Welcome back! Wooo...Eva looks so luscious and thick! cheers
cyclingchick
cyclingchick

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkyNappyHappy 3rd February 2011, 8:40 am

Yes ma'am Eva has it going on. I love the different styles, but the WnG is my favorite on you.

Welcome back!!!!
KinkyNappyHappy
KinkyNappyHappy

Back to top Go down

Updates! Empty *GASP* Eva got straightened!

Post by DivaDreamgirl 4th February 2011, 6:33 pm

...but only for one day. It was time to get my roots dyed and the stylist likes for me to get my hair as straight as possible. Normally I roller set it and just leave them rolled up and rock a beanie! However, yesterday I was feeling extra-specially daring!!

I said, "Well since I'm wearing a hat, let me just straighten this one curl and see how it turns out." To my ease, one became two and two became...

Updates! Comic-p
(excuse the plain face. I hadn't glossed up yet!)

I was actually pleased with the results and the growth. I haven't seen my hair straight it over 6 months! However, the back of my hair kept hitting my shirt and making it frizz. Needless to say, that 8 or so hours was a good enough fix for me!
I am happy to say that I had no damage and Eva is just as curly as before with fresh highlights. woot! Of course I rolled her up last night but got snowed in so I won't have any pics until I actually leave the house!
DivaDreamgirl
DivaDreamgirl

Back to top Go down

Post by DivaDreamgirl 4th February 2011, 6:38 pm

sweetdrk1 wrote:Eva worked that WnG!! Welcome back!

Thanks Sweet! I was pleased with the results too! I can't wait 'til summer!

cyclingchick wrote:Welcome back! Wooo...Eva looks so luscious and thick! cheers

Thanks CC! So are you over this snow yet or what? My Texas skin can't take much more!!

KinkyNappyHappy wrote:Yes ma'am Eva has it going on. I love the different styles, but the WnG is my favorite on you.

Welcome back!!!!

Thanks KNH! I can't wait until summer to truly get it right once I have some more growth!!
DivaDreamgirl
DivaDreamgirl

Back to top Go down

Updates! Empty *GASP* Eva got straightened!

Post by DivaDreamgirl 4th February 2011, 6:44 pm

I'm attempting to change this darn title...let's see if this works!
DivaDreamgirl
DivaDreamgirl

Back to top Go down

Post by funkyhairchic 4th February 2011, 11:15 pm

*GASP* Eva looks great!!! Check you out and all that growth! I'll be doing the same next weekend for the first time! I going to stop by here more often, doll!
funkyhairchic
funkyhairchic

http://public.fotki.com/mahoganyface

Back to top Go down

Post by JessiWantsCurls 5th February 2011, 11:55 am

You have a gorgeous head of hair up there!
JessiWantsCurls
JessiWantsCurls

Back to top Go down

Post by Fleur 5th February 2011, 1:07 pm

I love your hair and I've enjoyed reading your journey so far. Keep it coming! I understand what you mean about the hubby. I've always given my husband a heart attack when it concerns my hair. I would have it super long and then decide to go to the shop and have it cut at ear level, lol. Ive been with him since I was 17, so he's seen me very long, short, long, then really short, etc. I get bored easily and he knows that. Lately Ive included him in some of my decisions so he wont get so shocked. Your hubby is going through the motions, but I'm glad that now he's starting to get all up in your hair business!
Fleur
Fleur

Back to top Go down

Post by cyclingchick 5th February 2011, 1:39 pm

Wow...great growth! Smile

As for the weather, please let Spring get here soon. I know it seems crazy that I'm begging for the season that brings flash floods, hail and tornadoes to north Texas, but I can't tolerate this snow/ice mess much longer. I'm thankful that I'm a child-free because the little ones seem to be going bananas with cabin fever. A friend of mine ventured out to a fast food place just to let her kids burn off some energy in the play area. LOL

cyclingchick
cyclingchick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next