CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are you using the IH Method? You probably are and dont realize it.

+21
poeticlyspkng
Thinice
naturally yours
Treece
CocaColaCutie
jeanlouisangel
sweetdrk1
Nikkia_19
Sakura
NhappyJackie
Umph
LadyMika
misskris
curlytee
funkyhairchic
Sebastain13
CarlaAR
Ambitious_Tiff
Fleur
1FlySista
Lynnieluve
25 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Are you using the IH Method? You probably are and dont realize it.  Empty Are you using the IH Method? You probably are and dont realize it.

Post by Lynnieluve 14th December 2010, 9:04 pm

The article below was taken from an email I received from Chicoro. I was guilty of this when I first started my journey. Even though I am a recovering PJ (who lapsed recently), my purchases are based on my hairs needs. Are you using the 'IH' Method?

Are You Using the 'IH' Method to Care for Your Afro- Textured Tresses

Lots of people use the IH Method in their lives. I think this method and its use are rampant in the hair care community.

What exactly is the IH Method? The IH Method stands for, "I heard..." Many people go by what they heard and incorporate this method and use only this method in their search for better hair care.

Let me step out on a limb and tell you that I believe it doesn't work. There is always a grain of truth in what you hear. But, that grain may be surrounded by a rock of crap. When you hear about what someone is doing, if you can, ask them why they do it. Verify the purpose. You may find that they have a host of situations and circumstances that pertain to them but that don't pertain to you. If you hear something and it sounds interesting, research it. Start on the internet and go to the library. Drill down into scientific articles. Don't just accept something because you heard it.

That is the how many unscrupulous cosmetic companies strip your pockets and your hair. They take something and make it glitter and shine and make you want to buy it. It's one thing to buy something and know what you are getting. It's quite another to buy something and use it and not be able to explain why. Women have far less economic power or money than men, when compared on a global basis. Yet, we are charged more for our personal care products and are subjected to having all kinds of unregulated synthetic chemicals and components placed in our products. Can you really afford to take continuous and repetitive action based solely upon what you Heard? I would think not.

The IH Method is okay to start with when trying to learn new information. Please don't let it be the only way you make decisions about your hair care and your hair. You and your hair deserve more than just what you heard. As with all things in life worth having, beautiful hair requires work and knowledge. Both of which are do-able for you and attainable by you.

BeauifyBitByBit.com

Chicoro
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Are you using the IH Method? You probably are and dont realize it.  Empty Re: Are you using the IH Method? You probably are and dont realize it.

Post by 1FlySista 14th December 2010, 9:10 pm

Good article and advice, thanks for sharing.
1FlySista
1FlySista

http://www.goddyssey.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Are you using the IH Method? You probably are and dont realize it.  Empty Re: Are you using the IH Method? You probably are and dont realize it.

Post by Fleur 14th December 2010, 9:16 pm

Wow! This should be a sticky tacked on top of this forum until this site shuts down, lol.

When I chopped my hair off, the IH method was the only thing I was trying out, but after 2 months I came to my senses and realized that wasn't working. I don't pre-poo, deep condition more than 15-20 minutes, co-wash, use a leave-in all the time, and that's works perfect for ME. With some knowledge, familiarity with your own hair, and reduction of damaging and stressful hairstyles/techniques, you can be your own natural guru!

Last edited by fleur on 14th December 2010, 9:19 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo)
Fleur
Fleur

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 14th December 2010, 9:34 pm

LMBO!! GUILTY!! GUILTY!! GUILTY!! I will try anything that seems like it will help me with this problem or that problem. I read a lot but sometimes I know I just go off of what has work for someone else. Its very easy to get caught up in the wonderful world of being natural and all the new product choices. Lord knows I tend to get long eyed as they say...
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by CarlaAR 14th December 2010, 9:50 pm

GUILTY!

I've been guilty of trying to be too simple. Just because someone can go w/o doing a DT protective styling, etc doesnt meant I can, LOL.
CarlaAR
CarlaAR

Back to top Go down

Post by Sebastain13 14th December 2010, 10:31 pm

Great article I will keep this in mind when I want to make another purchase
Sebastain13
Sebastain13

http://<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/">

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 14th December 2010, 11:07 pm

fleur wrote:Wow! This should be a sticky tacked on top of this forum until this site shuts down, lol.

When I chopped my hair off, the IH method was the only thing I was trying out, but after 2 months I came to my senses and realized that wasn't working. I don't pre-poo, deep condition more than 15-20 minutes, co-wash, use a leave-in all the time, and that's works perfect for ME. With some knowledge, familiarity with your own hair, and reduction of damaging and stressful hairstyles/techniques, you can be your own natural guru!

I dont deep condition longer than 20 mins either....unless I am not paying attention to the time. It took me about 4 months to realize that the IH method was not working for me. Now that I know what my hair needs, it's easier to make product choices.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 14th December 2010, 11:08 pm

Ambitious_Tiff wrote:LMBO!! GUILTY!! GUILTY!! GUILTY!! I will try anything that seems like it will help me with this problem or that problem. I read a lot but sometimes I know I just go off of what has work for someone else. Its very easy to get caught up in the wonderful world of being natural and all the new product choices. Lord knows I tend to get long eyed as they say...

It's very easy to get caught up...especially when you first start your research of natural hair care. When we know better, we do better.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by funkyhairchic 14th December 2010, 11:31 pm

This is a great article. As newbie, I was guilty of the IH method. I would think to myself that some naturals did WAY too much to their hair. I had to ask myself if I had do everything they did to get that look. I realized I really didn't have to do nearly as much as they did by doing my research.

The more I researched and understood my hair's needs it was easier. Suggestions are great, but doing your own research is best.
funkyhairchic
funkyhairchic

http://public.fotki.com/mahoganyface

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 14th December 2010, 11:41 pm

@lynnieluve.....yea ur sooo right; alot of that goes on with this site especially.....i just do me cause some things u gotta just figure out urself; u can't base stuff off of what someone else told u and that might not even be the case~

Back to top Go down

Post by curlytee 15th December 2010, 1:14 am

I like this article. I've been guilty of this method.
curlytee
curlytee

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 15th December 2010, 1:29 am

I am sure we have all been guilty of this at some point or another. But because some of us are new to actuallt taking care of our natural hair, we may not know where to start as far as what might be good for our hair. Personally, there is SO much stuff I never even heard of until I found CN. So a lot of stuff, yeah, I may try. But I don't try EVERYthing!!! LOL It's trial and error but until u know what works, it doesn't hurt to TRY the IH method!!! You might end up finding the BEST thing for your hair thru the IH method!!! Ya never know. Very Happy
misskris
misskris

http://www.earthdust.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMika 15th December 2010, 10:47 am

I'm guilty of it too. LOL! In the VERY beginning I tried EVERYTHING. It's only within the last year did I really find the products and methods that work for ME. It's always better if you do your own research based on how YOUR hair reacts to products, and not based on how someone else's hair looks.
LadyMika
LadyMika

http://metalkink.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Umph 15th December 2010, 11:52 am

I'm guilty; If it wasn't for IH 'I wouldn't know what to use or do for my hair'. IH isn't a bad thing... not bad at all.

Last edited by Umph on 16th December 2010, 5:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Umph
Umph

Back to top Go down

Post by NhappyJackie 15th December 2010, 12:06 pm

I was definitely guilty for about the first 6 months after my BC. Even now, when I hear about other products I wan to jump out and buy them. The only thing that stops me is the fear of wasting money again. Thanks for posting this!!!!
NhappyJackie
NhappyJackie

http://members.fotki.com/jackiejones205/about/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sakura 15th December 2010, 12:14 pm

Everyone has been guilty of it at some point or another. It's not always a bad thing, it can lead to exploration and finding what works for you. Of course doing research helps when you are trying to find what works. But hey, everyone has to start somewhere.

I think it's more about making calculated decisions. No one is going to make you try everything you read. Thinking about products/ techniques or whatever is always a good practice.
Sakura
Sakura

Back to top Go down

Post by Nikkia_19 15th December 2010, 12:48 pm

When I first began my natural hair journey, all I had was the "IH Method". Honestly, I really do appreciate that method. You ladies have given me so much good advice on how to take care of my natural hair. You have shared your good and your bad hair experiences with me and that has really helped me to find out what does work best for my hair. Without you all, I would have never learned of using ayuredic powders, pre-poos, co-washing, and protective styling. I can truly say because of you ladies, I am "in LOVE" with my hair. Thanks
Nikkia_19
Nikkia_19

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 15th December 2010, 1:31 pm

Hello my name is Sweetdrk1 and I am a recovering "IH" addict! Because seriously I don't care what "IH" Sasha is gonna do what she is gonna do..which is curl up!

Great post Lynn!

I will say the one "IH" product has been DB deep conditioner! Steps up on soapbox....I am so glad I heard about that one woot!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanlouisangel 15th December 2010, 2:14 pm

I am with Sakura and Nikkia on this..I need to hear then I can research to death and like Sweet says Jewel has a mind of her own..and I have to respect that. afro
jeanlouisangel
jeanlouisangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 15th December 2010, 4:02 pm

Nikkia_19 wrote:When I first began my natural hair journey, all I had was the "IH Method". Honestly, I really do appreciate that method. You ladies have given me so much good advice on how to take care of my natural hair. You have shared your good and your bad hair experiences with me and that has really helped me to find out what does work best for my hair. Without you all, I would have never learned of using ayuredic powders, pre-poos, co-washing, and protective styling. I can truly say because of you ladies, I am "in LOVE" with my hair. Thanks

sweetdrk1 wrote:Hello my name is Sweetdrk1 and I am a recovering "IH" addict! Because seriously I don't care what "IH" Sasha is gonna do what she is gonna do..which is curl up!

Great post Lynn!

I will say the one "IH" product has been DB deep conditioner! Steps up on soapbox....I am so glad I heard about that one [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

jeanlouisangel wrote:I am with Sakura and Nikkia on this..I need to hear then I can research to death and like Sweet says Jewel has a mind of her own..and I have to respect that. afro

The key is when you "hear" about a product, you need to do your own research. I've seen so many threads of people purchase products and dont even know what they are supposed to be used for. They wear wash n gos all the time but purchased products that should be used for braids/braidout and twist/twist outs. I still purchased based on what I "hear" but it will be a product that I am currently in need of...example deep conditioner. The deep conditioner I was using, the company decided to change up the ingredients and now it doesnt work for me. So after thorough research, I made a few purchases. Hopefully one or all of them work for me. Laughing
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by Nikkia_19 15th December 2010, 4:05 pm

@ jeanlouisangel I have literally spent hours looking at the screen researching topics on natural hair. I think I can finally admit that....I am obessed! LOL
Nikkia_19
Nikkia_19

Back to top Go down

Post by Nikkia_19 15th December 2010, 4:12 pm

@ lynnieluve I have seen alot of your posts on different threads and you have truly been an inspiration to me. You and so many others on this forum have kept me from reverting back to a relaxer cheers
Nikkia_19
Nikkia_19

Back to top Go down

Post by CocaColaCutie 15th December 2010, 4:22 pm

oooh I was a big ole IH'er, mostly for "treatments." Lawd I've tried so many treatments...Bentonite clay, Caramel Treatment, Cherry Lola Treatment, Coconut Lime (Natural Relaxer) treatment....because I HEARD they would help with curl definition.

Most of them didn't make any major difference--although Bentonite is still awesome for cleansing and the Caramel Treatment got me pretty decent moisture in preparation for a blow out and flat iron.

Now I'm too lazy to run out and do/try everything I heard about. But I think it's pretty natural to be that way when you're first starting out on your natural journey, looking for products to curl and moisturize and defy humidity. And it's fun to try new stuff and chime in on the reviews and swap stuff that didn't end up working out.
CocaColaCutie
CocaColaCutie

Back to top Go down

Post by CarlaAR 15th December 2010, 4:28 pm

Speaking of treatments, I have gotten into henna, but its very beneficial for my hair. I have less breakage and great color. I havent tried anything else at this point...
CarlaAR
CarlaAR

Back to top Go down

Post by Treece 15th December 2010, 5:31 pm

Great article. I'm guilty of it though. But I guess either way I'll end up spending a ton of money either by buying products people mention, or buying what I want to try.
Treece
Treece

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next