CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Any Nursing or Pre-Nursing Students? Other Allied Health students?

+12
TerraD
jaylin20032003
yaya
aprilj90
Keisha
CocoaDreamee
midwesternchic
Issie
lakila
LilMsPuddles
MissNaturalBeautii
Karameldiva1978
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Any Nursing or Pre-Nursing Students?  Other Allied Health students? - Page 2 Empty Re: Any Nursing or Pre-Nursing Students? Other Allied Health students?

Post by LilMsPuddles 13th August 2010, 4:58 pm

Only because you all could understand I decided to share this with y'all....
So we were suppose to have clinicals 7/30, 7/31, 8/7 and 8/8 and both weeks right before clinicals they told us that clinicals got cancelled. First week it was the hospital messed up the paper work; the second week the college just found out from the hospital that our teacher needed a background check. Now I only work on weekends and I had gotten both of those off.... Yet today one hour ago I get a call from one of the program supervisors that we have clinicals tomorrow. Here is the killer; my job is only open mon-thurs and when I called the after hours number no one answered( first time ever of course!) and no one has called me back....
Has anyone had a bad experience like this or have any advice?
LilMsPuddles
LilMsPuddles

http://twitter.com/Ms_Puddles

Back to top Go down

Any Nursing or Pre-Nursing Students?  Other Allied Health students? - Page 2 Empty Re: Any Nursing or Pre-Nursing Students? Other Allied Health students?

Post by Karameldiva1978 18th August 2010, 4:59 pm

That's awful! So sorry I'm so late on this post. How did it work out? Did u get to do your clinicals?

Karameldiva1978
Karameldiva1978

Back to top Go down

Post by MissNaturalBeautii 31st August 2010, 10:23 pm

TerraD wrote:Great to see so many Nursing ladies!

I'm a pediatric nurse and am planning on entering a PNP program next fall (I have to make sure classes transfer). The field definitely needs us and even more, nurses of color! Congrats everyone! Keep pushing along! I'm here to answer any questions as well.

MissNB: I may have some questions for you [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Sure, you can definitely ask me anything
MissNaturalBeautii
MissNaturalBeautii

Back to top Go down

Post by Karameldiva1978 15th September 2010, 12:16 am

I have tried to respond to this thread twice and both times, just before the end, it deleted my post. Ssssssooooo, I'm trying it again tonight, with hopes that it will do right by me! Lol. How are you ladies? How is school going for you this semester? We are in September, so likely some fairly busy schedules and perhaps mid-terms in the next few weeks.

Well, I must be honest with you, I've had quite a few changes in my academic plans since the summer. Dh and I had a heart-to-heart and as hopeful as I was, it simply was NOT realistic to attempt to complete nursing school at this time. Yes, as you can imagine I was quite disappointed, but I can't argue with practicality.

So, instead, I am actually pursuing my MBA in Healthcare Management and enrolled in a Medical Coding class. I am trying to get my foot in the door from the administrative side and I am excited about the transferable skills I can give to the field and I'm hoping to be able to get into it sooner. Today, I actually did Part I of my TB screening to work as a Student Volunteer at Woman's Hospital. I get to choose my area of concentration which is Accounting and HIM and I'm very, very excited. I would love to get a full-time job from this volunteer experience.

Anyway, that's the latest with me. Where are you in your goals and aspirations right now? Share, share, lol.
Karameldiva1978
Karameldiva1978

Back to top Go down

Post by jaylin20032003 15th September 2010, 10:00 am

***warning, a serious vent is coming***
I'm taking 2 classes this semester that I really dont't need for the pre-req curriculum (First Aid & Safety, and Elementary Education I for Art, Dance, Theater and Music) because I needed a refund check (I gots bills yall), but hopefully next semester I will be able to take my last two pre-reqs (A&P 2 and Microbiology). The HBCU that I'm at now told me (the advisor) that I wouldn't be able to apply for their program because I'm "not making adequate progress" in my science classes (I got all C's). I just gave her the stink face and said "Ok." First of all, it doesn't matter what YOU say because GOD already told me that I WILL be a labor and delivery nurse. Second of all, just because I got C's in my science classes does NOT mean I won't do well in my other classes. Chemistry 1 and 2 were a beast, and from what I understand from my sister, who's an ER nurse, you only really use conversions from the Chemistry curriculum, not all that counting atoms, and naming alcohols and crap. I really want to get accepted and graduate from UNC Chapel Hill's nursing program (which God told me I will successfully do as well). I was just wondering, has anyone else had someone tell them that they wouldn't fufill their dreams of becoming a nurse? I remember when I initially decided to go back to school, a former co-worker (an older woman) gave me the screw face and said "Nursing is hard, can you do that?" Seriously lady??? I mean really, was that necessary?!?!? Suspect
jaylin20032003
jaylin20032003

Back to top Go down

Post by MissNaturalBeautii 17th September 2010, 2:21 am

jaylin20032003 wrote:***warning, a serious vent is coming***
I'm taking 2 classes this semester that I really dont't need for the pre-req curriculum (First Aid & Safety, and Elementary Education I for Art, Dance, Theater and Music) because I needed a refund check (I gots bills yall), but hopefully next semester I will be able to take my last two pre-reqs (A&P 2 and Microbiology). The HBCU that I'm at now told me (the advisor) that I wouldn't be able to apply for their program because I'm "not making adequate progress" in my science classes (I got all C's). I just gave her the stink face and said "Ok." First of all, it doesn't matter what YOU say because GOD already told me that I WILL be a labor and delivery nurse. Second of all, just because I got C's in my science classes does NOT mean I won't do well in my other classes. Chemistry 1 and 2 were a beast, and from what I understand from my sister, who's an ER nurse, you only really use conversions from the Chemistry curriculum, not all that counting atoms, and naming alcohols and crap. I really want to get accepted and graduate from UNC Chapel Hill's nursing program (which God told me I will successfully do as well). I was just wondering, has anyone else had someone tell them that they wouldn't fufill their dreams of becoming a nurse? I remember when I initially decided to go back to school, a former co-worker (an older woman) gave me the screw face and said "Nursing is hard, can you do that?" Seriously lady??? I mean really, was that necessary?!?!? Suspect

There will be a lot of people trying to put you down or tell you what you can't do.These people are usually afraid to step out and do the things that they really want to do because they are afraid of failure. At the nursing school i attended, some of the 1st semester teachers would tell curtain students that they did not think nursing was for them. Most all of those students graduated and are wonderful nurses today. You just have to remember that YOU are in control of your own destiny. Don't let the negativity of others get you down. Instead, use it as a motivator to achieve your goals and let your success speak for itself.

BTW, you don't use much chemistry in nursing. As long as you can do basic math, you will be alright.

Last edited by MissNaturalBeautii on 17th September 2010, 10:58 am; edited 1 time in total
MissNaturalBeautii
MissNaturalBeautii

Back to top Go down

Post by jaylin20032003 17th September 2010, 9:35 am

@MissNaturalBeautii: Thank you so much, your comments meant alot!!! I love you
jaylin20032003
jaylin20032003

Back to top Go down

Post by Karameldiva1978 18th September 2010, 9:46 pm

Jaylin,
Ms. NaturalBeautii is right, you will hear discouragement from many sides and a lot of times it will be people who were too afraid to pursue their own dreams. But I want you to think about this: nursing is very competitive, so think about what you need to do to make your transcript as competitive as far as GPA. One thing you've mentioned is adding the additional electives, if you score A's in those, it will help your grade point average. Also, maybe you want to consider re-taking one of your chemistry courses so that you can apply to the program the next eligible semester. Just a suggestion to consider. I wish you the best.
Karameldiva1978
Karameldiva1978

Back to top Go down

Post by pikachu 16th October 2010, 3:19 am

pikachu

Back to top Go down

Post by Napp_Napp_Cat 11th January 2011, 2:13 pm

I thought about going into the nursing program because I have heard some many great success stories coming from it. But science & math is not my best friend lol! I'm currently majoring in mass communications:journalism. I wish you future nurses & doctors the best of luck!

How is nursing school going for everyone? The fall semester is completed, how was it? Very Happy
Napp_Napp_Cat
Napp_Napp_Cat

http://theabccollege.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by ~JOME~ 15th January 2011, 9:53 pm

I'm really late on this....I didn't know this thread existed! I'm a pre-nursing student with one last pre-requisite (Human A&P II) left for this spring semester before applying for the nursing program for the summer. I go to a community college where I started out as an art major, graduated, and then came back as a pre-nursing major because it's hard being a starving artist in this economy! I'm interested in going into labor and delivery or the OR (I've been obsessed with watching surgery shows since I was a toddler). So far, everything's been going well....I'm just mentally preparing myself for the nursing program.
~JOME~
~JOME~

Back to top Go down

Post by PrincessRN 17th January 2011, 3:49 pm

Hi ladies. I just found this thread, so I am really late but I am an RN and I just wanted to chime in and give everyone some encouragement. Best of luck with your studies!!!!
PrincessRN
PrincessRN

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2