CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Any Nursing or Pre-Nursing Students? Other Allied Health students?

+12
TerraD
jaylin20032003
yaya
aprilj90
Keisha
CocoaDreamee
midwesternchic
Issie
lakila
LilMsPuddles
MissNaturalBeautii
Karameldiva1978
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Any Nursing or Pre-Nursing Students?  Other Allied Health students? Empty Any Nursing or Pre-Nursing Students? Other Allied Health students?

Post by Karameldiva1978 6th June 2010, 2:54 pm

Hi Ladies:
LHCF has a thread like this that is very helpful. I am taking my last nursing pre-requisite this fall and I'm very nervous, it's Human Anatomy & Physiology I. I will apply to the Nursing program in Spring 2011. I already have a Bachelor's in Business Administration, but as you know the economy blah, blah, blahs don't make employment an easy thing. I work at a local community bank now and have wanted to do nursing all my life and finally I'm hoping to embark on this journey in the medical field. Perhaps we can share our nursing or pre-nursing ups and downs here and gain support and knowledge from each other and even sell our textbooks if applicable.

My primary interest is nursing, but I know most of the coursework is the same for other allied health professionals, so let's say its a healthcare free for all. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Definitely welcomed would be any study techniques you have found helpful for different coursework.

You can start off posting your major, school whether a university or community college, what year student and your plans after school.

Major: Associate of Science in Nursing
School: Community College (it's affordable b/c I'm paying out of pocket)
Classification: I have one pre-req left and over 120 credit hours, I will say maybe a sophomore
Career Goals: I would love to do Pediatrics or Critical Care and travel nursing
Karameldiva1978
Karameldiva1978

Back to top Go down

Any Nursing or Pre-Nursing Students?  Other Allied Health students? Empty Re: Any Nursing or Pre-Nursing Students? Other Allied Health students?

Post by MissNaturalBeautii 6th June 2010, 4:13 pm

Hey, you will do just fine in nursing school. I think going to a community college to start is a good idea financially and you can always do a bridge program to get your BSN in a year. Although I have already finished nursing school, i will be happy to answer any ?s you have since i haven't been out of school very long. I actually just started classes for FNP this week. I probably should be reading something instead of on CN...lol
MissNaturalBeautii
MissNaturalBeautii

Back to top Go down

Any Nursing or Pre-Nursing Students?  Other Allied Health students? Empty Re: Any Nursing or Pre-Nursing Students? Other Allied Health students?

Post by Karameldiva1978 6th June 2010, 10:09 pm

Miss Natural Beautii, thanks for the assurance b/c I am terrified of this curriculum. My overall GPA on my transcript is a 3.37 and I really need an "A" in A & P to keep my Nursing Application competitive. I bought a book called Barron's Anatomy & Physiology The Easy Way. It basically keeps the explanations simply and so far I haven't freaked out from reading and testing myself. I haven't taken a Biology class in about 5 years, so I'm nervous.

Congratulations on starting FNP!!! Quite a few people I know want to get into the NP field. What kind of nursing are you currently practicing? Did you get your ASN or BSN? Did you work and go to school? I think that's my biggest fear, doing well and having my time divided between work and school.

Guess what? I'm only an hour away from you in Baton Rouge and always in your city. lol Thanks for offering to help!
Karameldiva1978
Karameldiva1978

Back to top Go down

Post by MissNaturalBeautii 6th June 2010, 10:25 pm

Don't stress to much about it. You should have no problem getting accepted with your current GPA. H&P was not a very bad class. It's more interesting than Biology to me so it was easier.
Thanks. I currently work at Ochsner on a post operative floor. Its great experience as you get to see a variety of things. I got my BSN at the school I was going to at the time. Nursing was not my initial major so it was kinda a quick decision so I only applied to my current school. i would have probably saved a lot of money if I would have taken the ADN route.
While in nursing school, I worked about 2 semesters out of 4. I was working at sonic so i basically came in when i wanted to. Work was definitely NOT a priority of mine at the time. However, I do work full time right now and going to FNP school. I haven't started the clinical component yet but when I do, I will probably be working part time.
Glad to hear that you are not far away. Maybe we can meet up at one of the natural get together they been talking about on the meet up section.
MissNaturalBeautii
MissNaturalBeautii

Back to top Go down

Post by Karameldiva1978 7th June 2010, 11:46 pm

Thank you girl! And you know what I find A & P very interesting, so it may come a little easier than I think it well. Biology was my all-time favorite science though. I will definitely see in the fall. I plan to go to part-time when my clinicals are full-time so I can get the most from my curriculum. Thank you again for your encouraging words and I will be checking out the natural meet up.

See ya Round!
Karameldiva1978
Karameldiva1978

Back to top Go down

Post by LilMsPuddles 8th June 2010, 9:44 pm

Hi! I'm also pre-nursing...
Community College all the way lol! I'm currently an STNA and in school to become a CPCT which will raise my pay, give me more skills and 2 credits towards my degree. Like MissNaturalBeautii said A&P isn't so bad for me phelbotomy is whats getting me; but it's more so nervousness than anything else.
As far as where I want to take my nursing I want to do more public health/dr.s without borders type of community or maternal/neonatal nursing and or maybe holistic nursing
LilMsPuddles
LilMsPuddles

http://twitter.com/Ms_Puddles

Back to top Go down

Post by lakila 8th June 2010, 10:30 pm

I am currently in nursing school also. I am in my ob and pediatric rotations. I have 9 months to go and i'll be a R.N. YAAAAHHH [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I have been a LPN for two years now and i'm just slowly working my way up. I don't mind answering any questions either. I don't have any pics or anything yet im kinda new to the site. Goodluck ladies!

lakila

Back to top Go down

Post by lakila 8th June 2010, 10:35 pm

Oh and i attend Beckfield College ADN. I am hoping to attend Xavier University for there R.N. to MSN program after i graduate.

lakila

Back to top Go down

Post by Karameldiva1978 9th June 2010, 10:33 pm

LilMsPuddles wrote:Hi! I'm also pre-nursing...
Community College all the way lol! I'm currently an STNA and in school to become a CPCT which will raise my pay, give me more skills and 2 credits towards my degree. Like MissNaturalBeautii said A&P isn't so bad for me phelbotomy is whats getting me; but it's more so nervousness than anything else.
As far as where I want to take my nursing I want to do more public health/dr.s without borders type of community or maternal/neonatal nursing and or maybe holistic nursing

lakila wrote:I am currently in nursing school also. I am in my ob and pediatric rotations. I have 9 months to go and i'll be a R.N. YAAAAHHH [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I have been a LPN for two years now and i'm just slowly working my way up. I don't mind answering any questions either. I don't have any pics or anything yet im kinda new to the site. Goodluck ladies!

lakila wrote:Oh and i attend Beckfield College ADN. I am hoping to attend Xavier University for there R.N. to MSN program after i graduate.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] WELCOME LAKILA & LILMSPUDDLES!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Thank you ladies so much for posting and offering your help, I really appreciate it. The more I read and study the more comfortable I feel with all of the information. I actually called my instructor today and he is emailing me the syllabus and the test content, so I'm feeling a little better. Congrats to you Lakila, half the battle is almost over!! Thanks for telling me about Xavier's RN to MSN program, that's not too far if I can do some of it online and the other in a small commute.

One thing that I love about my program at my community college is that it's direct and to the point. No crappy, needless classes that do not serve a purpose. Get your sciences, your math and into the program and they had a 100% pass rating on the NCLEX with their first graduating class last summer. Their second graduates just marched last month, so I'm not sure about their passing, but that makes me feel good about their program.

MsPuddles and Lakila, are you both working at hospitals? How long have you been in school? MsPuddles, I have just started reading about holistic medicine, I will have to look into the nursing aspect. Lakila, I had the same plan as you for getting my LPN, then my RN and got sidetracked with a husband. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] He is supportive of me finishing now, so I can't complain. BTW, welcome to CurlyNikki, you'll have to tell your natural hair story one day soon. Chat with you soon.
Karameldiva1978
Karameldiva1978

Back to top Go down

Post by LilMsPuddles 10th June 2010, 1:01 pm

Right now I'm working in home healthcare but I'm thinking of making the transition especially after I get my CPCT. I also agree with you on the whole 2yr vs 4yr thing too.
LilMsPuddles
LilMsPuddles

http://twitter.com/Ms_Puddles

Back to top Go down

Post by Issie 18th June 2010, 1:33 am

Congrats to all nurses here...and pre nursing and nursing students etc..currently a nurse and right now work in intensive care....In graduate school for anesthesia so if any colored folks are interested in CRNA, NP etc school and are serious reallyy serious and dedicated hit me up, we need more of us .....

Issie

Back to top Go down

Post by midwesternchic 23rd June 2010, 11:06 pm

Great topic Smile I am a junior BSN student. We don't have too many community colleges my way, so I went BSN. I am off for the summer (class-wise)... so just checking in Smile

Good luck to all the nursing students (we will make it!) and ::waving:: to all the current RNs!

midwesternchic

Back to top Go down

Post by Karameldiva1978 24th June 2010, 1:30 am

Hi Issie & Midwesternchic!

Welcome ladies! The family and I took a much needed vacation to San Antonio w/ the kiddies. We had a blast so I'm about to buckle down and get in the books. I have spoken to my instructor and he emailed the course content for the upcoming tests this semester. OMG, it is no joke! I needed my headstart more than I thought I did.

Issie, congrats on Graduate school! Get with MissNaturalBeautii, she just started FNP this month. You ladies are determined, so you should be great for encouraging each other to keep pushing on.

Midwesternchic,
I have been looking at traditional and acclerated BSN programs since this past weekend. I've decided to apply at the local community college and ULL in Lafayette. Hopefully that will expand my options and give me a better chance of getting in. Nursing school is highly competitive and a lot of people are applying multiple times. Hang in there! Junior year means the light is at the end of the tunnel.

See you ladies around!
Karameldiva1978
Karameldiva1978

Back to top Go down

Post by CocoaDreamee 24th June 2010, 5:35 pm

Hey divas!! I start a 2 year RN program August 23 and I'm....I'm ready to rock and roll. LOL There have been sooo many obstacles to overcome to get back into school and the nursing program here is small so that makes it very competitive. But the Father blessed me and I'm in. I work full time and going back to school as an adult...is scarier than I thought and I havent even started yet. But I'm so eager to get into it. Oh and I'm attending Penn State the Behrend Campus. Three cheers for the new nurses!! Hip hip hooray! LOL
CocoaDreamee
CocoaDreamee

Back to top Go down

Post by Keisha 26th June 2010, 1:55 am

Congrats Cocoa on getting into the RN program... how exciting, we know you'll do well. U have ya curly sisters rooting for you.

Well im a pre-nursing students, I just finished "all" my pre-reqs this past spring but sadly I have to retake anatomy. I got a C the 1st time which wasnt good enough so now I have to get a B or an A... no exceptions. Class starts this monday but im on the waiting list for the class, so im hoping if I give the instructor my puppy dog eyes, he'll let me in : ) I will be studying my ass off and passing this class with a B, then i'll have everything completed so that I can enter the RN program at my local community college in Spring 2011. Im wishing everyone including myself good luck. WE ROCK !!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Major: Nursing
School: Los Angeles Harbor College
Classification: LVN... Our school has 4 semesters and I'll be entering either the 2nd or 3rd Semester in Spring 2011
Career Goals: To become a CRNA 1st then do some travel nursing 2nd

Last edited by Keisha on 26th June 2010, 2:00 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : darn typos)
Keisha
Keisha

Back to top Go down

Post by Karameldiva1978 29th June 2010, 11:40 pm

Welcome CocoaDreamee & Keisha!!

I know the feeling ladies. The schools here in Louisiana are highly competitive also not only because of space, but the students are not playing and they bring 3.5 GPAs and above on their nursing applications. We are going to support each other and get through this, I know we'll have some curriculum struggles, but it will be worth it. We will just have to scream and look at the big picture! lol

I am still reading my A & P book and answering the review questions. I plan on not letting this A & P I get to me. I'm a good student, so I have to just do my best and hopefully it will all fall into play for me.

CocoaDreamee,
Don't be afraid of going back to school as an adult. You know what, non-traditional students tend to be more successful and have higher grades because we're focused and know that family and other factors depend on this. You will do fine. It also helps when you team up with other students who have a similar background and the same academic goals, you tend to encourage each other.

Keisha,
Now you know what to expect and can correct your errors. This is your semester and I'll be taking this class with you, so let's do this girl! Hopefully fall 2011 will be calling my name for the nursing program.

Take care!
Karameldiva1978
Karameldiva1978

Back to top Go down

Post by aprilj90 30th June 2010, 5:01 pm

I just finished up last prereqs and I've been accepted into Southern University's School of Nursing for this fall!!

Major: BSN
School: Southern University - Baton Rouge, LA
Classification: Junior
Career Goals: well I'm in the Navy also so once I graduate nursing school I'll be commissioned as a Naval Officer Smile
aprilj90
aprilj90

Back to top Go down

Post by Keisha 1st July 2010, 7:24 pm

thanks for the kind words Karamel... you'll be a SN next Fall for sure. Time is flying by so fast, next thing you know we'll all be in here showing our cap & gown pics.

congrats April
Keisha
Keisha

Back to top Go down

Post by yaya 2nd July 2010, 12:59 pm

Hello Ladies, Great Topic!! I am currently and LVN have been for about 7 years and have been slowly but surely knocking out my pre-reqs for the LVN to RN bridge program.I have everything done but my sciences and am currently taking Microbiology [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] (not a fan). Still have A&P 1and 2 left to take. was hoping to be ready to bridge summer of 2011 but was recently informed sciences have to be complete before submitting packet. Not really feelling waiting until summer of 2012 (our bridge program is only every summer). Was thinking of trying Excelcior to bridge. Any info on them would be great. The website makes it sound great but....... thats thier job. I'm trying to find out the real before I invest time and money. Ok, I'll end this novel. Later Ladies
yaya
yaya

http://www.chroniclesofcarolee.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Karameldiva1978 4th July 2010, 12:03 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] CONGRATULATIONS APRIL!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I almost applied to SU, but they have so many pre-req requirements, honestly, I am ready to get it and get out as quickly and efficiently as possible. I have heard that they have made many changes to the Nursing program and as a result their NCLEX scores have increased. So, that's a change for the better! We'll be here supporting and cheering you on!

Keisha,
I can't wait until the day I'm in cap & gown and going to my pinning ceremony. It would be the beginning of a dream that began when I was a young girl. I just wish I had had my same drive and determination that I have right now when I was young with no responsibilities. Better late than never, right!

Yaya,
I have heard many good things about Excelsior College. I was initially interested because I like to study and prepare myself to test out of requirements. I called the school to find out that I was ineligible. But check out this link on Allnurses.com and you will find a wealth of information about many schools in your area. You can actually put in your state nurses-- i.e. "Louisiana Nurses" and find links of info about nursing schools or jobs in your area.

Start here and then type the school in the search for other info:
http://allnurses.com/distance-learning-nursing/getting-started-excelsior-405779.html

We're in July now, the break is almost over and we are almost one semester closer to our dreams!
Karameldiva1978
Karameldiva1978

Back to top Go down

Post by yaya 6th July 2010, 12:44 pm

@Karameldiva, THANK YOU SO MUCH. That link was supper helpful and I think I'll look around the site a little more to see what I can find but as of now it sounds like something I will try [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] . Will be the most time effective choice for me. Just gotta stay disciplined. Again, thanks.
yaya
yaya

http://www.chroniclesofcarolee.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jaylin20032003 7th July 2010, 10:26 am

im a pre nursing student, have a ba in mass communications already. i have 2 more pre-reqs as well (a&p2 and microbiology, trying to get my stats class to count for credit, so maybe 3 classes)...i shouldve done nursing the first time around, thought about it my junior year in college, but was so close to being done, i didnt switch majors.
jaylin20032003
jaylin20032003

Back to top Go down

Post by Karameldiva1978 7th July 2010, 10:50 pm

Np Yaya! Glad it was of some help to you.

Jaylin- I know the feeling. If I "coulda, woulda, shoulda" myself one more time, I'mma snap!! LOL Wink I could have had my MSN by now (dang, I did it again, lol).

Better late than never, let's enjoy the journey!

Ladies, for those your us who are finishing up our pre-reqs and haven't officially been accepted to a program. How many nursing schools will you apply to either this fall or in the spring?

I personally haven't decided yet-- one or two, it depends. Because of my location, the commute is an issue for me as well.
Karameldiva1978
Karameldiva1978

Back to top Go down

Post by TerraD 16th July 2010, 11:41 am

Great to see so many Nursing ladies!

I'm a pediatric nurse and am planning on entering a PNP program next fall (I have to make sure classes transfer). The field definitely needs us and even more, nurses of color! Congrats everyone! Keep pushing along! I'm here to answer any questions as well.

MissNB: I may have some questions for you [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
TerraD
TerraD

Back to top Go down

Post by lakila 6th August 2010, 6:51 pm

I am currently in a nursing home. A company that is willing to work around my schedule. I have been in school a year and 4 months. I's going so fast! Sorry i'm sooo late lol! Between school, work, my son, and trying to spend time with my boyfriend (who was also a student he just graduated) i have very little time to do anything! I wish you luck on your nursing journey it's so worth it!

lakila

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next