CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

conditioners vs moisturizers

+6
Pinkrage
Delta87
ChrsLvsBks
dajewel
kevynnew
C.
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

conditioners - conditioners vs moisturizers Empty conditioners vs moisturizers

Post by C. 27th May 2010, 12:44 am

im confused [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] . i dont know know the difference between moisturizers and conditioners. not necessarily deep conditioners, just the regualr ole leave-in kind. I wanted to know if there is a difference between them becasue my hair is starting to feel kinda dry and im noticing split ends and tangles that i didnt have previously. its weird because before my ends were a problem, now they feel fine its my scalp and the rest of my hair that feel dry/itchhy sometimes.

i used to use cantu shea butter leave-in but i ran out and am using some generic paul mitchell the conditioner conditioner. my hair feels soft after using it sometimes but i need to apply it a few times a day.

so my question is: do i need a moisturizer more so than a conditioner, vice versa, or something else????

TIA [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] All help is greatly appreciated

Last edited by Kinda_Curly_Cassie09 on 27th May 2010, 10:04 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : meant to type help not "helo")

C.

Back to top Go down

conditioners - conditioners vs moisturizers Empty Re: conditioners vs moisturizers

Post by kevynnew 27th May 2010, 1:05 am

yes please answer this post! i would love to know the answer, because my hair gets so dry after conditioning and moisturizing and everything, i feel like i have to keep wetting my hair with water and oil
kevynnew
kevynnew

Back to top Go down

conditioners - conditioners vs moisturizers Empty Re: conditioners vs moisturizers

Post by dajewel 27th May 2010, 9:38 am

a moisturizer adds water and is usually water based. it can be in he form of a deep conditioner, leave-in, hairdress, etc. a conditioner is a more generic term for a product that helps promote strength, shine, smoothness, etc of the hair. it can include a moisturizer and it also can include products that add vitamins, protein, etc to the hair
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by C. 27th May 2010, 10:03 am

@dajewel-- so youre saying that a conditioner doesnt always include moisturizers? so how would you know if your conditioner is also a moisturizer--would it say so on the bottle?

Lastly(sorry for all the questions) do you know the names of any good quality conditioners and/or moisturizers?

C.

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 27th May 2010, 11:58 am

[quote="Kinda_Curly_Cassie09"]@dajewel-- so youre saying that a conditioner doesnt always include moisturizers? so how would you know if your conditioner is also a moisturizer--would it say so on the bottle?

Lastly(sorry for all the questions) do you know the names of any good quality conditioners and/or moisturizers?[/quote]It really depends on what your hair likes. My hair's texture is medium (about the thickness of a frayed piece of thread). My hair loves aloe vera. The conditioners I love are AO White Camellia; AO Honeysuckle Rose; AO Island Naturals; Tigi Bed Head Moisture Maniac; Darcy’s Botanticals Deep Conditioning Mask; Karen’s Body Beautiful Hair Milk and Hair Nectar; and Curl Junkie Hibiscus & Banana Honey Leave In & Beauticurls Leave In.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by C. 27th May 2010, 12:15 pm

thanx chrslvsbks,

ive heard of the tigi bed head moisture maniac but always forget to look for it in the store [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]. Can i get it from TARGET or walmart? i also heard/read good reviews of the giovanni direct leave-in condish, have you tried this one?

C.

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 27th May 2010, 12:17 pm

Kinda_Curly_Cassie09 wrote:thanx chrslvsbks,

ive heard of the tigi bed head moisture maniac but always forget to look for it in the store [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]. Can i get it from TARGET or walmart? i also heard/read good reviews of the giovanni direct leave-in condish, have you tried this one?
YW, you can get it in Target, not sure about Walmart. I used GDLI when I first learned about the CG method. I did not like it. I looked at ingredients a month or so ago, and I would try it again.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by C. 27th May 2010, 12:21 pm

ChrsLvsBks wrote:

YW, you can get it in Target, not sure about Walmart. I used GDLI when I first learned about the CG method. I did not like it. I looked at ingredients a month or so ago, and I would try it again.

wow that was a fast response!!!! thanx for the recommendation. i think ima definitely start off w/ the moisture maniac (cuz it has MOISTURE in the name, lol) then move on to the giovanni.
thanx again chrs

C.

Back to top Go down

Post by Delta87 27th May 2010, 1:50 pm

AO Honeysuckle Rose does nothing for my hair nor does Giovanni Products. I am returning the AO to Whole Foods this weekend. Any suggestions? Smile
Delta87
Delta87

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 27th May 2010, 4:57 pm

Delta87 wrote:AO Honeysuckle Rose does nothing for my hair nor does Giovanni Products. I am returning the AO to Whole Foods this weekend. Any suggestions? Smile
Would you describe your hair as thinner, as thin as or thicker than a frayed piece of thread? Also, check your hair's porosity. To do this, you can take some shed hairs from detangling comb/brush and place them in a glass of water. Do they sink? If so, how long did it take for them to sink? This can help me help you.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by Delta87 27th May 2010, 5:07 pm

ChrsLvsBks- My hair is very thick and dense, Coily when wet and dry. I have done the porosity test, My hair does not sink at all, In fact it sits on top of the water.
Delta87
Delta87

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 27th May 2010, 5:15 pm

Delta87 wrote:ChrsLvsBks- My hair is very thick and dense, Coily when wet and dry. I have done the porosity test, My hair does not sink at all, In fact it sits on top of the water.
Yay, it floats, this is good. Your hair is balanced as far as moisture and protein. What did the AO products do to your hair? How much do you use approximately? Do you apply to wet, damp or dry hair?
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by Delta87 27th May 2010, 5:21 pm

I used alot of the AO conditioner, I tried it overnight on dry hair. I also tried it on wet hair with a bag for a few hours. Although it was very thick it did not really soften my hair. I have used the Oyin Honey Hemp as a leave in and it makes my hair really soft and coily. However my hair is dry looking during the day, it does not feel as dry as it looks. I also have noticed that Castor Oil, EVOO, and Sweet Almond oil do not penetrate my hair very well which is strange to me.
Delta87
Delta87

Back to top Go down

Post by Pinkrage 27th May 2010, 5:51 pm

I also love Tigi Moisture Maniac. You can pick that up at Target, Rite Aid, and Walmart (inside the salon). I haven't used it in a while but now that it is back on my radar. I will be picking me up a bottle this weekend.
Pinkrage
Pinkrage

http://www.fotki.com/pinkrage

Back to top Go down

Post by C. 28th May 2010, 12:06 pm

is my hair damaged or protein deficient if it sinks when in water? It didnt do that before; it used to float, but now i've noticed that after a few seconds my hair sinks.

I had been using the ORS deep replenishing pak conditioner when i was in school, but after i used the last pak i didnt repurchase it. I think it did have some protein in it and i used it once a week.

do you all think that i need to add some protein into my regimen (if you can even call it that)

C.

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 28th May 2010, 1:48 pm

Delta87 wrote:I used alot of the AO conditioner, I tried it overnight on dry hair. I also tried it on wet hair with a bag for a few hours. Although it was very thick it did not really soften my hair. I have used the Oyin Honey Hemp as a leave in and it makes my hair really soft and coily. However my hair is dry looking during the day, it does not feel as dry as it looks. I also have noticed that Castor Oil, EVOO, and Sweet Almond oil do not penetrate my hair very well which is strange to me.
When was the last time you clarified?
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 28th May 2010, 1:51 pm

Kinda_Curly_Cassie09 wrote:is my hair damaged or protein deficient if it sinks when in water? It didnt do that before; it used to float, but now i've noticed that after a few seconds my hair sinks.

I had been using the ORS deep replenishing pak conditioner when i was in school, but after i used the last pak i didnt repurchase it. I think it did have some protein in it and i used it once a week.

do you all think that i need to add some protein into my regimen (if you can even call it that)
Your hairs' cuticles are lifted if it floats. Protein can help fill in the gaps. You can also do cold water rinses as your final rinse or after you apply all your products for a WnG.

It may also mean it needs more moisture. Hair that floats is full of moisture. The goal is to keep the moisture and maintain it and protein.

Hope this makes sense.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by Delta87 28th May 2010, 2:14 pm

I have mainly been doing conditioner washes. About once a week I add baking soda to my conditioner. What is the best way to clarify and how often should I do it? I have been using Kinky Curly Curling Custard as a styler.
Delta87
Delta87

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 28th May 2010, 2:18 pm

Delta87 wrote:I have mainly been doing conditioner washes. About once a week I add baking soda to my conditioner. What is the best way to clarify and how often should I do it? I have been using Kinky Curly Curling Custard as a styler.
If you use water soluble cones and products, I suggest clarifying every month. I will clarify when using new products and before a henna treatment so this could mean I am clarifying two to four times a month.

How much conditioner and baking soda are you using?
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by Delta87 28th May 2010, 2:25 pm

Just a teaspoon of baking soda and quite a bit of conditioner. I really am not sure about the clarifying thing. Do you clarify with a shampoo or baking soda? So far my hair never really feels like I have a build up it kind of soaks up everything anyway. Your hair looks very moist mine does not look super dry but it does not look moist unless it is wet or has conditioner in it. This may be a silly question, but How does your hair feel when it is moisturized? Does it feel wet? I have only been natural for 2 weeks. I guess I am not sure how my hair should look when it is moisturized?
Delta87
Delta87

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 28th May 2010, 3:55 pm

Delta87 wrote:Just a teaspoon of baking soda and quite a bit of conditioner. I really am not sure about the clarifying thing. Do you clarify with a shampoo or baking soda? So far my hair never really feels like I have a build up it kind of soaks up everything anyway. Your hair looks very moist mine does not look super dry but it does not look moist unless it is wet or has conditioner in it. This may be a silly question, but How does your hair feel when it is moisturized? Does it feel wet? I have only been natural for 2 weeks. I guess I am not sure how my hair should look when it is moisturized?
Oooh, only two weeks. I did not know. Your hair may take time to feel and look moisturized. Many recent BC'ers experience dryness for a while. Please be patient.

I would not clarify. I thought you had been experiencing dryness for much longer. I know to ask in the future when responding to others. (Note to self: Ask if person recent BC'ed.)

When moisturized, my hair feels like a baby doll's or soft yarn. It does not feel wet.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by Ameenah 28th May 2010, 6:40 pm

ChrsLvsBks wrote:
Delta87 wrote:AO Honeysuckle Rose does nothing for my hair nor does Giovanni Products. I am returning the AO to Whole Foods this weekend. Any suggestions? Smile
Would you describe your hair as thinner, as thin as or thicker than a frayed piece of thread? Also, check your hair's porosity. To do this, you can take some shed hairs from detangling comb/brush and place them in a glass of water. Do they sink? If so, how long did it take for them to sink? This can help me help you.

This was the first time I heard of this , this is why I love this site I learned something new today, of course I tried it and my hair floated to the top it didn't sink I am thinking that's good right?
Ameenah
Ameenah

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 28th May 2010, 7:08 pm

I love Giovanni Direct Leave in...especially with coconut oil.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 28th May 2010, 8:16 pm

Ameenah wrote:
ChrsLvsBks wrote:

This was the first time I heard of this , this is why I love this site I learned something new today, of course I tried it and my hair floated to the top it didn't sink I am thinking that's good right?
You are good. Your hair is full of moisture. It floats because it can no longer accept any more water. This helped me when I first decided to wear my hair in its natural state. I would do the test every wash to see what I needed, if anything.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 28th May 2010, 10:47 pm

Chrs, you are the best!!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next