CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Neems-- I Got A Compliment, From a Guy!

+20
Treece
ChrsLvsBks
Thinice
QuietButterfly
TheRYL1
jcanalena79
bholmes87
newcurlieque
priceless
jlowman1
sweetdrk1
soleil
Juices-n-Berries
poeticlyspkng
Lynnieluve
FemmeFox
KinkyNappyHappy
CurlsGalore
ktoliver5303
Neems
24 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Neems-- I Got A Compliment, From a Guy! - Page 2 Empty Re: Neems-- I Got A Compliment, From a Guy!

Post by Neems 2nd June 2010, 11:27 am

Hey Curlies!! I know I'm supposed to post pics of my hair but I seemed to have missplaced the cords for my camera and memory card reader. As soon as I find them, pics will go up!!
Neems
Neems

http://neemsnthings.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Neems-- I Got A Compliment, From a Guy! - Page 2 Empty Re: Neems-- I Got A Compliment, From a Guy!

Post by Neems 3rd June 2010, 2:48 pm

My version of the twist and curl - You can see the brown rinse in hair, yay!!
Neems-- I Got A Compliment, From a Guy! - Page 2 Img_0014

Memorial Day weekend twist and curl
Neems-- I Got A Compliment, From a Guy! - Page 2 Img_0015
Neems
Neems

Back to top Go down

Post by Neems 16th June 2010, 9:01 pm

Oo ah, ting tang, wallah wallah bing bang. For some reason that popped into my head.

A few minutes ago I asked my mother what she thought of my hair. Maybe not the best idea, but I was curious. Before she answered me she made this strange look. You know the one, where her eyes come together and she purses her lips. I prepared myself for anything since she can be very opiniated, lol.

I asked, "do you like my hair?" I'm wearing a twist-out but today it seems to have a mind of its own. She said " I don't know; it looks like you hair needs combing."

Instead of getting offended, I just laughed. Yes, everyone I've had a breakthrough. What my mother said did not affect me. I'll be wearing my twist-out to work, again. I might use a pin or headband though.
Neems
Neems

Back to top Go down

Post by priceless 17th June 2010, 12:01 am

glad you are able to take the reaction of others at this point. Many would be kind of mad that their mother do not like their hair. when I was getting new styles with my natural hair my grandmother clearly does not like my hair. At 1st it bothered me but now it like whatever i love it and that is all that matters.
priceless
priceless

Back to top Go down

Post by Neems 17th June 2010, 10:05 pm

@priceless It took me a while to get to this point. I definitely have the whatever attitude nowadays. My grandmother still prefers when I get it straightened but I've accepted that I can't change everyone.
Neems
Neems

Back to top Go down

Post by Neems 25th June 2010, 4:13 pm

I'm so happy. I finally got the perfect twistout. Neems-- I Got A Compliment, From a Guy! - Page 2 Icon_cheers I had been wearing regular two strand twists and last night I sprayed water and rubbed a good amount of KCKT throughout and sealed with coconut and vitamin e oil and tied it down. This morning I simply untwisted them (it took 20 mins)andput on two headbands. Here are the results. Neems-- I Got A Compliment, From a Guy! - Page 2 Mytiws10
Neems
Neems

Back to top Go down

Post by newcurlieque 25th June 2010, 4:38 pm

Pretty twistout!
newcurlieque
newcurlieque

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkyNappyHappy 25th June 2010, 4:58 pm

too cute!!
KinkyNappyHappy
KinkyNappyHappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Neems 25th June 2010, 5:10 pm

Thank you :-)
Neems
Neems

Back to top Go down

Post by bholmes87 25th June 2010, 5:37 pm

Love the twisotut Very Happy
bholmes87
bholmes87

http://fotki.com/bholmes87

Back to top Go down

Post by Neems 30th June 2010, 11:05 am

@bholmes. thanks

for as long as I can remember I've been natural but not until the past two years did I pay so much attention to it. wash,condition get micro-braids was the usual routine. Finally one day I got fed up and just wore my hair out after twisting and never looked back. I even wore my hair twisted to my college graduation my grandmother almost died, lol. I love her so much though.

Anyway that bringS me to Saturday night with my friend in NYC. She was wearing her hair in a big puff and me, my signature twist out. Buzzing off some sangria we were approached by three beautiful black men with the cutetst southrn accents. We all start talking and out of nowhere the guys all say they "love our hair." I was beyond shocked. Dude just kept staring and wanting to touch. That made my night, actually I'm still grinning as I type. I love my hair!!!
Neems
Neems

Back to top Go down

Post by jlowman1 30th June 2010, 11:17 am

Go Neems! Neems-- I Got A Compliment, From a Guy! - Page 2 Icon_biggrin The twistout looks great and I had a similar experience over the weekend. An older gentleman approached me and said, "Your hair is beautiful and more of our sisters need to embrace their natural hair." I wanted to say GOOOO POPS! lol

It just reaffirms that there are men out there that appreciate our authenticity and genuineness!
jlowman1
jlowman1

Back to top Go down

Post by poeticlyspkng 30th June 2010, 4:18 pm

Neems- your twistout is amazing! That's it! I'm getting mine back tomorrow!
poeticlyspkng
poeticlyspkng

http://www.curlynikki.forumotion.com/the-curl-street-journal-f14

Back to top Go down

Post by jcanalena79 30th June 2010, 4:25 pm

Great definition!!
jcanalena79
jcanalena79

Back to top Go down

Post by Neems 30th June 2010, 7:14 pm

@jlowman1 Thank you!! The funny thing is, my friend and i were just planned to have dinner in Little Italy and catch up. I think older men have an appreciation for natural, too.

@poeticlyspkng and jcanalena79 Thanks. I'm hoping to achieve the same thing this weekend.

Neems
Neems

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 30th June 2010, 7:40 pm

Great twistout!
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRYL1 30th June 2010, 7:50 pm

Your twist out is NICE! :-)
TheRYL1
TheRYL1

Back to top Go down

Post by QuietButterfly 30th June 2010, 7:58 pm

Nice twist-out!!!!

My Dad is like your grandmother, he prefers my hair straight. I'm used to his comments though, so it doesn't bother me at all, I just laugh when I see him looking at my hair. No matter what I do to my hair twists, braids, twist-out, whatever he calls everything "dookie braids"......LOL.

My Dad: Jenny Lou, you wearing dookie braids today??
Me: (laughing) No Daddy, these are twists
My Dad: Oh, looks like dookie braids to me

LOL, he's a trip......gotta love him Neems-- I Got A Compliment, From a Guy! - Page 2 Icon_biggrin
QuietButterfly
QuietButterfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Neems 11th July 2010, 1:40 pm

I realize i didn't say thanks to everyone that commented on my twist-out pics, so thank you!!

The past week has been a whirlwind. I was with my family in GA visiting more family. It was a long 15 hour drive and of course they gave me the graveyard shift. At one point I think there was a drunk driver if front of me on I-85. An hour later a deer was chilling on the side of the road. Thank goodness for bright lights or things would not have been pretty.

I brought my camera but forgot to unload the memory card, so I didn't get any pictures of hair,lol. Did I mention I packed the morning of? And of course I waited until the lasted minute to figure out what to do with my hair. So, I wore mini-twist, however I wore a hat most for most of the time.

We got finally arrived at my aunt's house and she was so surprised to see my hair in twists. She was wearing her wig, as usual. So throughout the trip she kept commenting on it. The last day we were there, I unravelled the twists and wore my signature-twist out. While I sitting down she started to play with my hair. Can you imagine, a 70 year-old woman just pullin' on the strands. She was like " omg, your hair is so thick and long." I think it stretched to about 9-10 inches. Needless to say I was very happy that she liked it. Granma still was not phased by it though, lol.

SB: To all my curlies in the south, why are there so many HUGE Walmarts? That place scares me. We went to one on Peachtree City and they had parking for the golfcarts.
Neems
Neems

Back to top Go down

Post by Neems 21st July 2010, 10:26 am

Things have been so busy lately. I should be updating a spreadsheet but I wanted to drop a line. On Monday I did a wash and go; BIG MISTAKE. By the end of the day by hair was a crunchy, knotted mess.

I couldn't wait to wash it and twist. I diluted shampoo and cleansed my scalp and followed with Curl Junkie Hibiscus conditioner. I left is on for about 7 minutes. It had some slip but it didn't feel extra moisturizing, imo. After rinsing my ends still felt dry and the tangles seemed to return. So I put AO White Camilla in it hoping to add back moisture. I guess that worked, but I'm never doing a wash and go again.Never! With the amount of knots and tangles I had I probably could have lost some length. Now I realize why my hair was always breaking when I wore a TWA. Twists and twist-outs it will be.

Last edited by Neems on 21st July 2010, 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typos)
Neems
Neems

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRYL1 21st July 2010, 3:25 pm

Hey Neems!

I so agree with you about the Wash n Gos. I will not do them unless it's an emergency! I do not want the dry, brillo pad on my head...I don't feel it's HOT! LMAO

I'm with you: twists & twist outs it is! Neems-- I Got A Compliment, From a Guy! - Page 2 Icon_cheers
TheRYL1
TheRYL1

Back to top Go down

Post by Neems 21st July 2010, 4:19 pm

@TheRYL1 LOL, no more for me. The funny thing is that when my hair was shorter they worked perfectly. No problems at all. Now it's just disaster, lol
Neems
Neems

Back to top Go down

Post by Neems 10th August 2010, 4:43 pm

My job has a community garden and I made my business to document its growth. Because I don't technically own the photos I can't post any of the veggie pics. However, I did turn the event into a mini photoshoot for myself, lol. The sunlight was amazing so I started playing around with the timer functions. I was wearing a very old twist-out that had gone puffy from the shower and humidity. Enjoy :-)
Neems-- I Got A Compliment, From a Guy! - Page 2 Img_0213

Neems-- I Got A Compliment, From a Guy! - Page 2 Img_0214

Neems-- I Got A Compliment, From a Guy! - Page 2 Img_0215

Neems
Neems

Back to top Go down

Neems-- I Got A Compliment, From a Guy! - Page 2 Empty It's about time

Post by Neems 15th September 2010, 1:29 pm

So I've been at this whole natural thing for most of my life but I never had a routine that yielded the same results until now. I think if FINALLY found it. I'm about ready to scream it from the mountaintop. It's nothing special but it works (for me at least).

1. Pre-poo with olive oil in hair,preferably overnight. Detangle with fingers
2. Shampoo with Giovanni 50:50 Balanced Shampoo, focusing on scalp. Rinse
3. DC with mixture of: banana baby food. olive oil, coconut oil and castor oil and AO White Camila and squirt of lemon juice. Let sit for 30 mins. I'm going to try with AO HSR next time
4. Rinse with cool water. It might feel dry but that's alright
5. Condition and detangle with shower comb,
6. Rinse with cool water.
7. Apply Giovanni Direct-in leave in .
8. Style with two-strand twist, seal with coconut oil.

I kept my twists in for three days and took my twists out yesterday for staff portraits for work. I'll post those later since I'm at work, lol. My hair felt extra soft even when I took them out. This morning I didn't even put anything in it and it's still soft. I'm suffering from a serious case of HIHS.

Neems
Neems

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRYL1 15th September 2010, 4:07 pm

Hey Neems!

Love the garden pics! LOL

Don't it feel good to find your Holy Grail! Hope it continues to work for you! ;-)
TheRYL1
TheRYL1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next