CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mixing Product Lines - Si or No?

+10
Juices-n-Berries
DvaAuNaturel
LadyMika
coilykinks
dajewel
LaToya28
CocaColaCutie
tiashaunteé
jamaicanmecurly
BlakButterfli
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Mixing Product Lines - Si or No? Empty Mixing Product Lines - Si or No?

Post by BlakButterfli 26th April 2010, 4:09 pm

Ok, I know the rule of thumb (usually) is to stick to one product line to see what really works for your hair. There's even a challenge going on that is advocating this - go ladeis, by the way. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I have been experimenting with different things and am slowly trying to find my way. Though I've been natural only three years, I have the hair growth of a newbie and it's BEYOND frustrating. Like, I'm writing a play now "For Natural Girls Who Consider the Creamy Crack, Cuz Their Growth Wasn't Enuf."

Ok, I kid. That being said...

...I've found several products, but from different lines, that I really like on my hair and wonder just how much I need to try and find compatible items in one line or just do what I do now. Right now, I use Giovanni Smooth as Silk Deeper Moisture Conditioner (the BEST detangler I've ever used) and Shea Moisture Raw Shea Restorative Trauma Smoothie (a great DC). I'm still in search of something that defines my curls without shrinking my hair and a good leave-in. Both Shea Moisture and Giovanni offer full lines (shampoo, etc...) so I don't know if I should just use the mix/match stuff I have or commit (both in process and in wallet) to one or the other.
BlakButterfli
BlakButterfli

Back to top Go down

Mixing Product Lines - Si or No? Empty Re: Mixing Product Lines - Si or No?

Post by jamaicanmecurly 26th April 2010, 4:52 pm

I am so not an expert, but I definitely don't stick to just one product line. I use whatever my hair loves and that can very easily come from several different product lines.

I mean, right now I have Kinky Curly, Curls, Aubrey Organics, Giovanni, OyinHandmade, Qhemet Biologics, EcoStyler, and a couple others floating around in my bathroom!

Of course, you run into issues where 2 products don't play well together but all in all, I've found that buying and using products that my hair love (irrespective of the brand) to be the best way forward!
jamaicanmecurly
jamaicanmecurly

http://thirtysomethingandsearching.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by BlakButterfli 26th April 2010, 5:01 pm

Thanks @ Jamaican. I've been on a hair rant today and I need all of the advice I can get!
BlakButterfli
BlakButterfli

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 26th April 2010, 5:14 pm

I don't stick to one product line either. It would probably make shopping easier but I'd rather do what my hair likes
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by CocaColaCutie 26th April 2010, 5:43 pm

Usually I'm a mix and match girl, but I did join the 30-day product line challenge to see if this approach was hindering my moisture retention.

I think its rare to find one line that will do everything you want for your hair. For example the products I'm using now, Curl Junkie, have been giving me excellent moisture and are holding my twists together nicely, but I'm not expecting much out of it by way of non-twist/braid induced curl definition. I think it's too light for curl definition. I'll have to experiment with it once I'm done with the twist challenge.

Also I don't have the shampoo that comes with the line and I've been using Dr. Bronners Castile Soap and I haven't found that it hinders the way the rest of the products work on my hair.

On the other hand Kinky Curly has given me great curl definition, but if I'm not careful it'll dry crunchy on me and not stay moisturized. And lets not even talk about that Come Clean--that stuff strips everything out of your hair!!! So when I use Kinky Curly I shampoo with something else but do use the Knot Today and KCCC together.

Anyway I say just watch the way your hair feels when you use your products and don't feel like you have to force yourself into a product line. Really I think you just have to have one thing in each category that works on your hair.
CocaColaCutie
CocaColaCutie

Back to top Go down

Post by LaToya28 26th April 2010, 7:13 pm

I agree with the other ladies--I use what works. However, I did stick to strictly Giovanni products once for about two months and my hair responded very well to it. Their shampoos are very stripping, but other than that I have no complaints about the line.

LaToya28

http://members.fotki.com/latoya28/

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 26th April 2010, 7:27 pm

i mix product lines all of the time.
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by coilykinks 26th April 2010, 7:51 pm

I tried to stick with one line, but it didn't work. I have products that I love and they are from several different lines-so if you are lucky enought to find one line that fit your need PLEASE share.
coilykinks
coilykinks

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMika 26th April 2010, 8:34 pm

I use different product lines as well. Though, I WOULD like to give the entire Afroveda line a spin. Especially the conditioners.
LadyMika
LadyMika

http://metalkink.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DvaAuNaturel 26th April 2010, 9:09 pm

The product line challenge isn't to stick with one line per se but to narrow down the number of products you are using on your hair at a given time. I know I've been wanting/trying so many things that I haven't really stopped, until now, to really find out what my hair likes/dislikes. It probably should be a routine challenge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] because I don't think you can find a line that does it all (wouldn't that be awesome!). I agree with the others that you have to do what's best for your hair.

I hope the product line challenge will let me know which products from a particular line work on my hair. My only concern is when I find a product say like Oyin HH that my hair likes and then discover Hairveda whipped gelly works, will those two products work well together. I just keep saying trail and error. I think it's perfectly fine to mix lines. If your hair likes a product then use it.
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 26th April 2010, 10:42 pm

ITA with Dva. The purpose of the challenge is to find what combination of products work, even if they aren't from the same line. However, by using one line at a time, you can see what products you like in your hair from that particular line. Likely, at the end of the challenge, I will combine my favorite products (that I figured out from the challenge) and use those for a month together, and see how they work. The goal is to ultimately develop a regimen that works.
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by DvaAuNaturel 26th April 2010, 11:08 pm

Juices-n-Berries wrote:Likely, at the end of the challenge, I will combine my favorite products (that I figured out from the challenge) and use those for a month together, and see how they work.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] **crossing fingers*** I hope they work well together once we've narrowed down the ones that work.
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 26th April 2010, 11:11 pm

Me too Dva. Me too!
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by BlakButterfli 27th April 2010, 12:53 am

Thanks ladies - all great advice and observation. I was in Wal-Mart tonight and since I love the Giovanni Smooth as Silk Conditiner, I went ahead and brought the Giovanni Direct Leave-In. Even though I hated it before. Guess what? I still hate it. lol

It moisturizes my hair, but when it's in my hair and my hair is wet - my hair is really weak. I think it may be too light for my hair, which responds better to heavier things.

So...I guess a lot of you are right. I'm going ot just stick to products that have worked/are working for me and roll with it. My next step is to find a good leave-in, that's heavy and defines my curl pattern.

My hair will soon be retiring for the summer and I want to send it off conditioned and healthy. It HAS to grow!
BlakButterfli
BlakButterfli

Back to top Go down

Post by PoisonIvy 27th April 2010, 10:00 am

Like most of the ladies here, I mix and match. If my hair likes it, I love it.

PoisonIvy

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 27th April 2010, 11:57 pm

retiring for the summer?
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by Nessa101 28th April 2010, 12:00 am

I'm looking to buy coconut oil for my hair. I was wondering what brands you guys use. Feedback would be greatly appreciated. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Nessa101
Nessa101

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 28th April 2010, 12:48 am

I get mine from Whole Foods.
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 28th April 2010, 9:50 am

nessa, i use nature's gate coconut oil. i buy mines from vitamin shoppe, but u can find that brand in whole food's, etc.

the product line doesn't matter as long as it is pure virgin coconut oil. and their extraction methods do not taint the quality of the oil (i.e. cold pressed is better).
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 28th April 2010, 9:51 am

oh, i will be a mixing a conditioner and shampoo to cleanse my scalp tonight. will let u all know the results shortly.
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 28th April 2010, 10:06 am

dajewel wrote:oh, i will be a mixing a conditioner and shampoo to cleanse my scalp tonight. will let u all know the results shortly.

Like applying them both to your hair at the same time?
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 28th April 2010, 10:16 am

tiashauntee wrote:
dajewel wrote:oh, i will be a mixing a conditioner and shampoo to cleanse my scalp tonight. will let u all know the results shortly.

yup. am not mimicking a 2 in 1 shampoo/conditioner, though and i wouldn't mix just any conditioner n shampoo.
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 28th April 2010, 10:21 am

dajewel wrote:
tiashauntee wrote:

yup. am not mimicking a 2 in 1 shampoo/conditioner, though.

I think that should work great, I do something similar in the winter when I only apply the shampoo to my scalp and then co-wash the rest
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

Back to top Go down

Post by Nessa101 28th April 2010, 6:34 pm

Thank dajewel and juices and berries [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Nessa101
Nessa101

Back to top Go down

Post by Nessa101 28th April 2010, 6:54 pm

Question: When you put the coconut oil do you massage it into your scalp or do you just rub some on the tips of your hair? And do you let it sit for a couple min. and rinse it out or can you leave it in your hair? I'm so confused. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

-Thankss
Nessa101
Nessa101

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next