CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My face is on fire!!

+6
BlondeByDesire
Pretty_Vee
mizcreativelyme
Madeaj
mokacoffey
QuirkyCurly
10 posters

Go down

My face is on fire!! Empty My face is on fire!!

Post by QuirkyCurly 23rd January 2011, 10:56 pm

Hey ladies!

I know people have suggested i use black african soap for my acne. I been using it for a few days and I can honestly say its doing a good job. Here's the problem: while i'm washing or after i rinse, i get this burning/tingling sensation on some parts of my face. It usually goes away after i put my grapeseed oil and zapzyt on afterward. Am I sensitive to black soap? Am i using it wrong?

Thanks in advance!
QuirkyCurly
QuirkyCurly

Back to top Go down

My face is on fire!! Empty Re: My face is on fire!!

Post by mokacoffey 23rd January 2011, 11:14 pm

hmm.. is that the Nubian brand? The one that is an actual black bar..Cause thats not quite the one I think you should use...I'm looking into Raw African Black Soap myself. That kind is actually a brown color & comes in chunks.
I think the Nubian brand( which I have bought but havent used yet) can be harsh on skin and is not all natural or organic at all.

mokacoffey

Back to top Go down

Post by QuirkyCurly 24th January 2011, 12:35 am

@mokacoffey actually i got it from shea essentials..idk if its the nubian brand..this is whats in it though:

saponified palm oil, cocoa pod & plaintain ash, shea butter, purified water
QuirkyCurly
QuirkyCurly

Back to top Go down

Post by mokacoffey 24th January 2011, 12:40 am

Yeah, that's the one I bought too. I may use it in shower but decided not for my face. I believe it's actually dyed black so that may be causing you a problem. Look up the Raw African Black Soap instead. The brown chunky one.
There are videos on YouTube as well . Good luck, girl.

mokacoffey

Back to top Go down

Post by mokacoffey 24th January 2011, 10:19 am

I looked up the one from Shea essentials and it seems to be theversion that is natural & ok to use... I hope someone else chimes in since I haven't actually gotten mine in the mail yet.

mokacoffey

Back to top Go down

Post by Madeaj 24th January 2011, 12:06 pm

Natural - soap might too harsh for your skin. African Black soap is still a lye soap. The cocoa pod and plaintain ash is lye.
You might do better with something like a moisturising bar like Dove or Aveeno Ultra-Calming foaming cleanser. I alternate using the Aveeno, oatmeal cleansing, and the OCM and my face feels wonderful. Not tight or burning. I have sensitive skin and it's been a bear trying to find something that won't make me feel like I've bathed in fire. Crying or Very sad
I can't use any kind of lye based soap on my face. Even my gentle olive oil castile soap is too harsh for my face.
Madeaj
Madeaj

Back to top Go down

Post by mizcreativelyme 24th January 2011, 12:21 pm

i second Madeaj. i've tried raw african black soap and i thought i was going to have to call the fire dept.!! i gave it a few more tries until i decided it was just not for me. much too harsh/drying for my face. my body doesn't like it either. not sure what the background is of your skin type, but i use Cetaphil [for all skin types] and to my surprise, my skin has never felt/looked better. i too have battled with acne for YEARS on end. i have learned [by experience and from an aesthetician] that just because one has acne does not mean you need to use harsh soaps/astringents to keep it under control. i now work WITH the oils my skin produces. my skin is oily yet sensitive. so the over-production of oils leads to clogged pores. however, exfoliating a few times a week helps the pores to 'breathe' and assists with cell turnover, which reduces acne.
mizcreativelyme
mizcreativelyme

Back to top Go down

Post by Pretty_Vee 24th January 2011, 3:10 pm

I did get a tingling sensation after not using my black soap for a while and then using it again but it went away by the second week. I still use it daily and I don't get any tingling at all.

That is absolutley correct that the potassium hydroxide (lye) is derived form the ashed of the cocoa pod and plantain peel however. ABS is still great for you skin. I do find it a little drying afterwards but I follow with a moisturizer while my face is damp and I have NO problems. My skin has been GLOWING since I started using it again.

Pretty_Vee
Pretty_Vee

http://www.pretty-girl-rock.com

Back to top Go down

Post by QuirkyCurly 26th January 2011, 12:30 am

Thanks for all the answers ladies!

I didn't get a email saying a got a response though Shocked

I might look up another soap to use, but in the meantime the burning hasn't been that bad anymore if i dont use it for a long time like i used to.
QuirkyCurly
QuirkyCurly

Back to top Go down

Post by BlondeByDesire 26th January 2011, 11:36 am

LOL - I tried it once too, got that same feeling with red blotches appeared - it went away, but I said never again.
BlondeByDesire
BlondeByDesire

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms. Moore 10th February 2011, 7:58 pm

There are many folks who swear by Black Soap. I can't use it. It irritated my skin terribly--with hives and yes, my face was on fire.

I don't think it's the lye in the soap that is a problem because that is how soap is made (fatty acids and a base). Technically a finished bar of soap shouldn't have lye present because your reaction is:

acid + base = salt + water

The water is removed in the curing process and all that remains is the salt of the fatty acids.

Dr. Bronner's, Zum bars etc, give me no issues and they are your typical NaOH/lye soaps. The problem for me is I am horribly allergic to bananas/plantains (latex-fruit allergy). The plant ash is not entirely converted lye...there is still a great deal of organic matter present that may be beneficial to others but is the kiss-of-death for me. Yeah, you would have thought that I would have read the packaging before using the product!

Anyway, that rather long-winded but I hope it helped! Smile
Ms. Moore
Ms. Moore

http://www.whatmoore.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CiaE 11th February 2011, 2:20 am

WOW so im not the only one!! I have been using two different brands of black soap. One that looks pretty raw to me and its kinda brownish but has a gradient look like rocks. 'It Burns it burns it burns suh til'! BUT i still use it... i dont know any other type of soap to use and my other black soap...its looks dark brown and more commercialized but claims to be black soap and i dont know if i should use it. Despite my face being on first i have grown accustomed to it, which isnt good lol
CiaE
CiaE

http://napskinkslove.onsugar.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bkd2j 11th February 2011, 3:02 am

I order my black soap from butters-n-bars and Sharika(the owner) says that black soap is a very potent cleansing agent so leaving it on for long periods of time is not recommended. If you are leaving it on that may be why it's burning. I usually apply mine like I would any cleanser, going back and forth over the areas I'm cleaning and then I rinse it off. I never let it sit like a facial mask because it's not that, it's a cleanser.
bkd2j
bkd2j

Back to top Go down

Post by QuirkyCurly 11th February 2011, 9:50 pm

Yea see I knew I wasn't the only one Smile

I've pretty much quit on it. I don't use it that much anymore.I've decided to buy this charcoal soap from ncn professional skincare from acne. I'll report back and see if it works. Wish me luck!
QuirkyCurly
QuirkyCurly

Back to top Go down

Post by essentialoils 21st February 2011, 1:45 am

Literally everyone skin type is different, i might work for the others. As you see African natural black soap which is actually different shades of brown and have a slight soft texture, and not the artificial black soap sold by many which is literally "black" in color due to the black dye being used and harsh chemicals, hard in texture, and mostly commercialized.
essentialoils
essentialoils

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down