CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ACV substitute

+8
ChrsLvsBks
CurliiMommee
Emartini04
slimwithabs
bpjedi
Annie L
ajsimmons8
crimson0300
12 posters

Go down

ACV substitute Empty ACV substitute

Post by crimson0300 17th January 2011, 2:26 pm

I am VERY new to the going natural. I am a little over 1 month post relaxer. I am trying to learn as much as I can right now. I have started experimenting by making my own natural products. I am really excited about this entire process. I don't have any ACV but I do have white vinegar. I was wondering if the two could be substituted. Is there any advantage of one over the other.

crimson0300

Back to top Go down

ACV substitute Empty Re: ACV substitute

Post by ajsimmons8 21st January 2011, 10:06 pm

Hi Crimson, I have not yet done a ACV rinse, however I haven't read anything saying that you can substitute regular white vinegar for ACV. I would think, and this is just a guess, that the acid in the apple is what causes it to be beneficial. Hopefully, some of the other ladies will chime in.
ajsimmons8
ajsimmons8

Back to top Go down

Post by Annie L 25th January 2011, 7:23 am

Congrats on going natural Crimson!

Yes, the acidic PH of the ACV is what conditions and clarifies your scalp and hair and I must say it is PHENOM! It's my top 2 of leave-ins. I am no expert but have never heard of that substitution and wouldn't bother with it. You can easily Google the differences between the 2 vinegars, but just to let you know, 1 is preferred for hair and the other is used frequently as an all-purpose household/clothes cleanser and deodorizer, lol! Just wait until you get a hold of some ACV and stay true to the recipe that has yielded great results for so many.

Hope this helps!

Annie L

Back to top Go down

Post by bpjedi 26th January 2011, 1:05 pm

@crimson0300

I'll back up what the others have said, and suggest only using ACV. I've been doing ACV rinses for years--whether my hair was loose or locked--and they've made a big difference.
bpjedi
bpjedi

Back to top Go down

Post by slimwithabs 26th January 2011, 11:30 pm

I also agree with the other ACV should be kept on yr list todo list
slimwithabs
slimwithabs

Back to top Go down

Post by Emartini04 28th January 2011, 12:31 pm

Stick to ACV. If you have a trader joe's in your area u can get a bottle for about 3 bucks.
Emartini04
Emartini04

Back to top Go down

Post by CurliiMommee 28th January 2011, 6:55 pm

How often should I do a ACV rinse? What are the steps? Shampoo, condition, AVC?? or should it be done another way. Do you use it as a leave in or rinse it off. Can you style with normal products after the rinse?

What is the mixture measurement?

CurliiMommee

Back to top Go down

Post by bpjedi 28th January 2011, 9:39 pm

@CurliiMommee:

I generally do around 1TBS ACV per 1C water, but I never really measure. I pour some ACV into one of those 32oz-sized yogurt containers, and fill the rest with water. (you might need to use a bigger container if you have longer hair) I pour it it at the very end--after I've rinsed out the conditioner that follows my shampoo. I do this every time I wash my hair. I don't rinse it out; the smell dissipates with drying. Then, I style as usual.

If you've ever tried to use a shampoo bar and haven't liked it, doing an ACV rinse following it makes a world of difference.
bpjedi
bpjedi

Back to top Go down

Post by Annie L 11th February 2011, 4:33 am

2nd bpjedi

I use ACV as a clarifying shampoo sometimes though NOT to remove a ton of buildup - no real scrubbing agent.

I oil, shampoo w/a drop of Dr. Bronner's Almond oil, rinse w/water then last rinse w/ACV.

I do 2TB to 2c/16oz of water and shine shine shiny soft fluffiness follows. Many do it 1x per week max but everyone's different.

Annie L

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 11th February 2011, 1:40 pm

I mix a little less than 1 tablespoon of ACV with 2 cups of distilled water (I chill it in the fridge before using). I have tested the pH using pH strips and it registers between 4.5-5 which is good.

I do it after I rinse out my DC every week. I do not rinse out the ACV, I just apply my moisture and seal.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TheBuddingFashionista 12th February 2011, 2:47 pm

I read that lemon juice can also be used. Have any of you ever tried it? I tried the ACV rinse and it was awesome, but I could still smell the ACV 3 days later Sad

TheBuddingFashionista

Back to top Go down

Post by aliyakeys 12th February 2011, 6:55 pm

Um, I have a bottle of ACV in my cabinet at home and the expiration date is 12/17/2010. Is this too old to still be using? Even in my hair?
aliyakeys
aliyakeys

https://www.youtube.com/user/ikimonogakari2?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Post by slimwithabs 13th February 2011, 4:49 pm

I will not use it. It's over a year old. ACV Please invest in a new bottle it is really inexpensive.
slimwithabs
slimwithabs

Back to top Go down

Post by Jo Somebody 23rd February 2011, 5:44 am

Ladies, I wash my hair in big braids. Would it be ok to do the ACV rinse like that or should hair ideally be loose?
Jo Somebody
Jo Somebody

Back to top Go down

Post by Madeaj 23rd February 2011, 9:12 am

Aliya, 3 months past use by or sell by date is not bad for your hair. But since ACV is inexpensive, I'd get a new bottle. No sense in taking chances.

Use the old stuff to clean the drain. Pour a 1/4 cup of baking soda down the drain, then the vinegar and let it sit for a hour. Then run hot tap water down the drain. That will clean the trap and push out product buildups.
Madeaj
Madeaj

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down