CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

keratosis pilaris

3 posters

Go down

keratosis pilaris Empty keratosis pilaris

Post by QuirkyCurly 14th December 2010, 6:38 pm

Do any of you have this skin condition? If so, what do you do to treat it? I know there is no cure, but it makes my legs look funny. Thanks in advance!
QuirkyCurly
QuirkyCurly

Back to top Go down

keratosis pilaris Empty Re: keratosis pilaris

Post by LittleOne 15th December 2010, 9:49 pm

Yup, name an annoying skin condition and I have it, haha! Or at least have dealt with it in the past.

I used to have it all over my upper arms. It's gone from there now, but I still have a few problem areas on my upper thigh Here's a few things I do:

Use a gentle body wash. Look for products made for sensitive skin.

Don't ever scrub your legs or any other affected area.

Use a body lotion that contains ceramides. You may have heard of ceramides for your hair, but they're in certain skincare products too. I can't live without Cerave lotion.... http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/cerave-moisturizing-lotion/ID=prod1538406-product

Pure shea butter also works wonders, especially if you mix it with a few drops of lavender essential oil. I believe the shea butter is helpful because of its Vitamin A content, but I can't remember exactly. I recommend whipped shea butter instead of raw, because it's best if you can spread it on easily. I'm trying to finish up my raw shea butter, so that I can get this whipped version from Hugo Naturals... http://www.amazon.com/Hugo-Naturals-Body-Butter-4-Ounce/dp/B001JAH2SS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1292460286&sr=8-1[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I hope that helps! Good Luck! Smile
LittleOne
LittleOne

Back to top Go down

Post by QuirkyCurly 16th December 2010, 12:48 am

Thank you so much!! Do you prefer the lotion or the shea butter mix for it?
QuirkyCurly
QuirkyCurly

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleOne 16th December 2010, 6:22 pm

Hmmm.....I don't know. I don't always have time to massage shea butter in, but the lotion is light and absorbs fast. I think being consistent is really what matters. As long as I put one or the other on every day, my skin stays smooth. If I miss a few days, it starts to feel a little rough again. I think my arms improved for good because I was consistent for like 6 months. It's not that noticeable on my thighs, so I'm a little lazy now.

If I had to had to choose, I would choose shea butter. CeraVe is kind of expensive for a daily body lotion and, even though you can use either one on your hair, I consider shea butter a must for the arsenal. Let me know what you decide!
LittleOne
LittleOne

Back to top Go down

Post by eyehealthguide 1st February 2011, 5:08 am

I have this as well and only one thing I ever tried improved my condition. I use a loofah sponge in the shower everyday and then apply Amlactin medicated lotion as soon as I get out of the shower. Amlactin is over the counter and can be purchased at Walgreen's. It hasn't taken it away completely, but there is definite improvement. I can even wear sleeveless shirts again. I have heard of people that are unable to improve their condition no matter what they try. Good luck. I know it's frustrating.

eyehealthguide

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum