CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

IntelligentBeauty;-)

+50
missmoriah
deeply_rooted_chick
FemmeFox
NubieNatty
tiffyd
p_nuttie43
SisterBoyd
TheRYL1
StephanieB
newcurlieque
Mz. Thang
curlyboricua
SimplyShainee
neethair
blondie
KeishaMac
TerraD
Pinkrage
bholmes87
mrsmackey
CocaColaCutie
A85
MahoganyCurls
KinkyNappyHappy
Kurlikinkiklassic
adiaha
MsJay1121
Miss CurlyT
BlondeByDesire
Courtney
Serenity23
SheeTacular
krenea
traveljunkie08
Juices-n-Berries
curlmixtress
sweetdrk1
tiashaunteƩ
dajewel
Freestyles
curly+kinky+fierce
Lynnieluve
Kea::curls
HumanNature
Blackbeauty
AfrikanLatina
ChrsLvsBks
Winnielours
Corygentri
Intelligentbeauty
54 posters

Page 39 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40  Next

Go down

IntelligentBeauty;-) - Page 39 Empty Re: IntelligentBeauty;-)

Post by Intelligentbeauty 15th March 2010, 9:37 am

Yes I use to have that problem but I quickly found out it was because I was using too much product. Just try to use less and then it will absorb better into the hair.
Keep in touch:-)
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by BlondeByDesire 15th March 2010, 9:38 am

IB, I forgot to mention, if you live near a Sally's they have the EcoStyler gel (big tub) for $2.99. That's a great styler.
BlondeByDesire
BlondeByDesire

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 15th March 2010, 9:43 am

BlondeByDesire wrote:Good Morning IB,

I'm sorry your style didn't turn out the way you wanted. You know all this natural hair stuff is trial and error for a while. Don't get discouraged. I agree with your friend, you do have to mentally accept your curls for what they are. I'm learning to accept mines and embrace them. Each and everyday I love them more and more. My personal opinion is that your Husband plays a large role in her hair care, I can understand that - and his opinions really matters to you. But, what if your curls aren't what either of your expect? Then what? Will that mean you will never do a WnG? I value my husband's opinion as well, so far he hasn't said anything negative about my natural hair. He know's this is my passion and my hobby.

As for stylers, I think you need to try some new things. I love to buy products and try out new and different stuff. It's fun. I buy all natural prodcucts on-line from various vendors. I have stuff from Giovanni, My Honey Child, Karen's Body Beautiful, Qhemet, AfroVeda, Curls, AOHSR, Koils by Nature, etc. and I still want more. I'm a certified PJ. But what I'm saying is you might find something that works for you and your hair type. So far, I've haven't tried anything that my hair doesn't truly like. If it doesn't work the first time around, I find a way to tweak to make it work. I also get inspiration from the Ladies here, Fotki, and YT.

I know you are up on your game when it come to hair care and the do's and dont's - just don't be afraid to move out-side of the box a little.

I'm praying for you and and wishing you success with your WnG - MC's technique and great video tutorial are excellent.

It will get better. Once you learn to love your own hair, what other's think will be irrelevant (co-workers). IntelligentBeauty;-) - Page 39 Icon_rr

Have a great day - SisterCurlyFriend

Thank you so much BBD. I needed to hear that. I will have to branch out and buy product. I just wanted to mix and try my natural stuff first. But I think it is best to buy a product close to what I am looking for then copy it at home. Thanks again. ((HUGS))
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by BlondeByDesire 15th March 2010, 9:51 am

I don't want you to let this hair thing get you down. Please don't let it overwhelm you. ((HUGS)) right back ya. If I can be of any help just let me know.

Speaking of products, I'm waiting on my MiraCurl products to be shipped now ... IntelligentBeauty;-) - Page 39 Icon_lol
BlondeByDesire
BlondeByDesire

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 15th March 2010, 9:57 am

Thanks.
Lol @waiting for products......
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteĆ© 15th March 2010, 11:18 am

Intelligentbeauty wrote:I was feeling quite annoyed and just a little down yesterday because I just knew my twist n curl would come out nice. However, it was a disaster. Just a hot mess. I ended up doing a puff. The hair felt heavy and sticky, even though I tried to be careful not to use too much whipped shea/oil mix.

Too much shea can mess up a style. I have found that when I want light fluffy curls to use a condish as my styler or Curlynikki's setting lotion mix works great and it dries fast. If you use a condish make sure it is one that doesn't flake when dried.

I like to use my shea for twists & cornrows. After leaving them in for a week the shea butter doesn't weigh them down as much when I finally do the twist out or braid out.
tiashaunteƩ
tiashaunteƩ

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 15th March 2010, 11:42 am

BlondeByDesire wrote:I don't want you to let this hair thing get you down. Please don't let it overwhelm you. ((HUGS)) right back ya. If I can be of any help just let me know.

Speaking of products, I'm waiting on my MiraCurl products to be shipped now ... IntelligentBeauty;-) - Page 39 Icon_lol

what she said..ALL of it! My bestie ordered MiraCurl for me!! IntelligentBeauty;-) - Page 39 678474 IB take it on style at a time..and get to know YOUR curls in all their glory. (((((((((hugs)))))))))
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 15th March 2010, 12:06 pm

I'm sorry your style didnt turn out the way you wanted it to. I understand how you feel about "the unknown" when it comes to styles. I find comfort in knowing if all else fails, I can wear a puff. That's not my favorite style but its still really cute.

Don't be discouraged. The same way you figured out how to do your hair when you were transitioning, you do the same thing now.

I agree, you should try other products and once you find one you like, just try to recreate it at home.

(((Hugs)))
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by MahoganyCurls 15th March 2010, 12:20 pm

Awww... Okay, My video just uploaded on youtube (still processing) and I briefly discussed hair expectations. You just have to let your hair be. Even I get fustrated with my hair. For instance, my twistouts look horrible and so do my braidouts. I always want mine to look a certain way, but it never does. My hair is just too fine for that. I really, really irks me. But I know I tried it a million times and isnt working, so I just decided to move on. Those arent the best styles for me.

Spouses play a major role in how we feel about our hair. Let's be frank most black men (most) love long straight hair (especially long hair), they meet us one way and we transform on them in a matter of seconds. I know it is hard for them to see us change our hair on the whim, and we want to look pretty for them as well...I wouldnt worry, I am sure your husband think that you are beautiful as ever! IntelligentBeauty;-) - Page 39 Icon_smile

As for the wash n gos...I think you will be able to do it just keep trying they can be tricky. When you find the method that works for you, you will be hooked! Dont give, you have to be extremely patient with natural hair. Everyday is different. Learn to love it unconditionally. I think you hair is beautiful!

Dont worry, I will keep you in my prayers!
MahoganyCurls
MahoganyCurls

Back to top Go down

Post by BlondeByDesire 15th March 2010, 12:20 pm

sweetdrk1 wrote:
BlondeByDesire wrote:I don't want you to let this hair thing get you down. Please don't let it overwhelm you. ((HUGS)) right back ya. If I can be of any help just let me know.

what she said..ALL of it! My bestie ordered MiraCurl for me!! IntelligentBeauty;-) - Page 39 678474 IB take it on style at a time..and get to know YOUR curls in all their glory. (((((((((hugs)))))))))

Sweet, I preorderd Miracurl IntelligentBeauty;-) - Page 39 Icon_bounce and mine should ship on 3/18.
BlondeByDesire
BlondeByDesire

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 15th March 2010, 8:57 pm

tiashauntee wrote:
Intelligentbeauty wrote:I was feeling quite annoyed and just a little down yesterday because I just knew my twist n curl would come out nice. However, it was a disaster. Just a hot mess. I ended up doing a puff. The hair felt heavy and sticky, even though I tried to be careful not to use too much whipped shea/oil mix.

Too much shea can mess up a style. I have found that when I want light fluffy curls to use a condish as my styler or Curlynikki's setting lotion mix works great and it dries fast. If you use a condish make sure it is one that doesn't flake when dried.

I like to use my shea for twists & cornrows. After leaving them in for a week the shea butter doesn't weigh them down as much when I finally do the twist out or braid out.

Oh ok Tia, I got it. Thanks IntelligentBeauty;-) - Page 39 Icon_biggrin

sweetdrk1 wrote:

THANK YOU SWEET IntelligentBeauty;-) - Page 39 Icon_biggrin

Lynnieluve wrote:I'm sorry your style didnt turn out the way you wanted it to. I understand how you feel about "the unknown" when it comes to styles. I find comfort in knowing if all else fails, I can wear a puff. That's not my favorite style but its still really cute.

Don't be discouraged. The same way you figured out how to do your hair when you were transitioning, you do the same thing now.

I agree, you should try other products and once you find one you like, just try to recreate it at home.

(((Hugs)))

THANKS LYNN ((HUGS))

MahoganyCurls wrote:Awww... Okay, My video just uploaded on youtube (still processing) and I briefly discussed hair expectations. You just have to let your hair be. Even I get fustrated with my hair. For instance, my twistouts look horrible and so do my braidouts. I always want mine to look a certain way, but it never does. My hair is just too fine for that. I really, really irks me. But I know I tried it a million times and isnt working, so I just decided to move on. Those arent the best styles for me.

Spouses play a major role in how we feel about our hair. Let's be frank most black men (most) love long straight hair (especially long hair), they meet us one way and we transform on them in a matter of seconds. I know it is hard for them to see us change our hair on the whim, and we want to look pretty for them as well...I wouldnt worry, I am sure your husband think that you are beautiful as ever! IntelligentBeauty;-) - Page 39 Icon_smile

As for the wash n gos...I think you will be able to do it just keep trying they can be tricky. When you find the method that works for you, you will be hooked! Dont give, you have to be extremely patient with natural hair. Everyday is different. Learn to love it unconditionally. I think you hair is beautiful!

Dont worry, I will keep you in my prayers!

THANK YOU MC IntelligentBeauty;-) - Page 39 Icon_biggrin
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 15th March 2010, 8:58 pm

OK WELL HERE I GO INTO THE SHOWER TO GET READY FOR WORK. I WILL POST TONIGHT AS IT DRIES WHAT I THINK, BUT I WILL HAVE TO POST PICS TOMORROW.

WISH ME BLESSINGS OF FABULOUS HAIRIntelligentBeauty;-) - Page 39 Icon_lol
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by NubieNatty 15th March 2010, 9:21 pm

im agree with just lettin it be! im tryin to get to that point. since venturing off into twists my twist outs dont come out as expected IntelligentBeauty;-) - Page 39 Icon_rolleyes but i gotta make the most of it cuz i know im not gonna start all over, lol. the back of my head is a whoooole nother discussion but practice makes perfect!
NubieNatty
NubieNatty

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 16th March 2010, 1:36 am

NubieNatty wrote:im agree with just lettin it be! im tryin to get to that point. since venturing off into twists my twist outs dont come out as expected IntelligentBeauty;-) - Page 39 Icon_rolleyes but i gotta make the most of it cuz i know im not gonna start all over, lol. the back of my head is a whoooole nother discussion but practice makes perfect!

Yes, I am beginning to get there on just lettin it be.... Laughing
And trying this WnG is a definite start.
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 16th March 2010, 1:39 am

Well, my first wash n go is still wet but not enitrely after 4 hours. It seems the very tips of the curls are still wet. I did re-spray the back because I messed up and put a glob of conditioner during the scrunch on one section in the back. So I had to work that out. Laughing
But other than that and some frizz, I like it. I will post more later and post pics even later.

cheers
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by KeishaMac 16th March 2010, 2:36 am

IB: I am sorry that your hair did not turn out the way you wanted it to. Mine did the same thing on Saturday (I tried a braid out...can you say HOT MESS??). I rinsed my hair out and did a puff on Saturday and Sunday. All I did was apply a little Organix condish. My hair doesn't mind cones, but it does not like the DevaOne (at least it didn't during my transition, so I gave it away). Try either slicking it down or doing the puff the way I described in my post (adjustable bra straps work pretty good IntelligentBeauty;-) - Page 39 Icon_smile ). Good luck and we can go through this together IntelligentBeauty;-) - Page 39 Icon_biggrin
KeishaMac
KeishaMac

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 16th March 2010, 3:29 am

KM, the puff will definitely be my go to style when styles don't turn out as expected. But I have to say this WnG has surprised me. I would have never thought about doing this style now. But I kind of ran out of options for my length of hair. So it was a must try. I am glad I did. Now I need to perfect it. Very Happy Have you tried WnGs yet? When are you getting your mini twists? Very Happy
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by jcanalena79 16th March 2010, 4:54 am

Hey IB, It seems like you've already got a ton of advice and moved on from the disappointment, but I thought I'd just send you some (((hugs))) and FAB hair vibes!!! IntelligentBeauty;-) - Page 39 Icon_rr
jcanalena79
jcanalena79

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 16th March 2010, 5:08 am

awww thanks Jcanalena79 Smile
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 16th March 2010, 7:03 am

"............what is man that you are mindful of him, the son of man that you care for him?"
Psalms 8:4

GOOD TUESDAY AM:

I feel good this morning. I was able to do my first wash n go last night into this morning and went to work with it cheers I love the fact that it took me all of 15-20 mins to actually do my hair. LOVE THAT!!!
I am truly proud of my curls and I know as time goes on and with the right products my hair can look amazing.
So this is what I did last night:

-Prepoo with a new oil called MAHABHRINGRAJ oil. (I absolutely love it. I even love the smell better than Vataki oil. It's a bigger bottle for about the same price and has chock full of divine ingredients in it. I will show a pick later. It's is known as a hair growth oil.)

-Rinsed out with water, but truthfully could have left it in. Wasn't a heavy greasy feeling like Vataki oil.

-Then tried to cowash with Devaone condish but hair didn't feel clean so I added my special face wash as shampoo for a nice clean feeling. (Devaone use to work for me. This is the second time I tried it and it does nothing for my hair. I am all out now so I will not repurchase.)

-Next I used AOHSR condish with EVOO as my DC. However I really didn't leave it in long. Just long enough for me to take care of my other shower needs.

-Rinsed out (forgot to use cold water) then applied Suave naturals coconut condish on soaking wet hair and then scrunched. It's funny because even though I have never done a WnG. I had the urge to shake and did briefly ) Laughing (I also had to eventually re wet a section in the back of my hair because a glob of condish was on it.)

-I stepped out the shower then placed clips with gel in front and pulled some curls down then let air dry.

Results:
I liked it. I can see alot I can eventually do with it, in terms of styling. I can also see the potenital of having amazing hair with it.
Realized I need to try it with gel/some type of styler for the control of frizz.
Once it was totally dry, I didn't like it as much. I believe that gel/styler will help that. I eventually re-sprayed it in the morning hours and did a slight puff.

Others Reactions:

My husband liked the style but he said he doesn't want to see my hair like that. However, I believe that will change once I get the moisture level where it needs to be for more curls and length. Also my husband is not into afros of any type at all. So he will eventually adjust.

My non-black coworkers, as soon as I walked in the department, were complimenting me like crazy. I was shocked. Shocked One even said she smells my coconut condish and she loves the smell.

Stranger: One Hispanic women middle aged (thick spanish accent) was in awe of my hair. She asked me "Is that your hair?" I thought I didn't hear right so I asked her to repeat herself Laughing She repeated herself and I said "yes". She went on to say" your hair is beautiful and I love the color." I think she wanted to touch it but I was moving toward the door so she didn't get a chance ask. Laughing

THANKS AGAIN TO MC FOR BRINGING THIS NEW METHOD TO THIS FORUM'S ATTENTION!!! KEEP UP THE GOOD CURLY WORK...((HUGS))

I WILL POST PICS LATER.
HAVE A TREMENDOUS TUESDAY LADIES!!!
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkyNappyHappy 16th March 2010, 8:24 am

Good Morning IB~

Oh......the trials and error of natural hair. Like everyone said..when all else fails the puff will get you through. Also, the ends of a knee high works well for holding your puff in place.

Finding a product will be the key. Think about what your hair needs and research products online. Product lines like Karen Body Beautiful, MiraCurl, and Qhemet will answer any questions your have via e-mail or phone. I've called and spoken with Karen herself several times. Qhemet has a chart on their site that will list products they recommend based on your hair type.

As everyone knows I love Qhement & Oyin; I have MiraCurl (which I received through a product sway here on the forum) and can't wait to use it when I take my braids down.

Keep in mind....even though you transitioned for almost a year; it may take your natural curls a few months to pop!!! I didn't see my curl pattern for at least 3 months. So right now you will need a little assistance from natural product to assist you with your styles.

Miss Jessies got me through my first two weeks, and then I discovered that her products has mineral oil in them. I still use her products, but I use a good leave-in conditioner before I apply.

I know that it is important for your husband to be happy with your styles, but I hope you can help him understand that this is a process and as your hair grows you will be able to do so much with it as it relates to styles. Remember less some times is best...as it relates to products and manipulation of our hair!!! (trust me I know that's why I'm in braids) lol!

I'm glad you had success with your first wash-n-go. Hang in there and may the curls be with yah!!!! afro (hugs&love)
KinkyNappyHappy
KinkyNappyHappy

Back to top Go down

Post by BlondeByDesire 16th March 2010, 9:10 am

I'm sorry it wasn't to your liking in the end. KNH gave good advice above. I do believe you need to find the right products.

IMO the puff and afro styles are one in the same.

I'm praying for ya!

In the mean time I hope your husband can gradually embrace your natural texture for what it is.

Peace and Blessings...
BlondeByDesire
BlondeByDesire

Back to top Go down

Post by MahoganyCurls 16th March 2010, 9:23 am

Intelligentbeauty wrote:"............what is man that you are mindful of him, the son of man that you care for him?"
Psalms 8:4

GOOD TUESDAY AM:

I feel good this morning. I was able to do my first wash n go last night into this morning and went to work with it cheers I love the fact that it took me all of 15-20 mins to actually do my hair. LOVE THAT!!!
I am truly proud of my curls and I know as time goes on and with the right products my hair can look amazing.
So this is what I did last night:

-Prepoo with a new oil called MAHABHRINGRAJ oil. (I absolutely love it. I even love the smell better than Vataki oil. It's a bigger bottle for about the same price and has chock full of divine ingredients in it. I will show a pick later. It's is known as a hair growth oil.)

-Rinsed out with water, but truthfully could have left it in. Wasn't a heavy greasy feeling like Vataki oil.

-Then tried to cowash with Devaone condish but hair didn't feel clean so I added my special face wash as shampoo for a nice clean feeling. (Devaone use to work for me. This is the second time I tried it and it does nothing for my hair. I am all out now so I will not repurchase.)

-Next I used AOHSR condish with EVOO as my DC. However I really didn't leave it in long. Just long enough for me to take care of my other shower needs.

-Rinsed out (forgot to use cold water) then applied Suave naturals coconut condish on soaking wet hair and then scrunched. It's funny because even though I have never done a WnG. I had the urge to shake and did briefly ) Laughing (I also had to eventually re wet a section in the back of my hair because a glob of condish was on it.)

-I stepped out the shower then placed clips with gel in front and pulled some curls down then let air dry.

Results:
I liked it. I can see alot I can eventually do with it, in terms of styling. I can also see the potenital of having amazing hair with it.
Realized I need to try it with gel/some type of styler for the control of frizz.
Once it was totally dry, I didn't like it as much. I believe that gel/styler will help that. I eventually re-sprayed it in the morning hours and did a slight puff.

Others Reactions:

My husband liked the style but he said he doesn't want to see my hair like that. However, I believe that will change once I get the moisture level where it needs to be for more curls and length. Also my husband is not into afros of any type at all. So he will eventually adjust.

My non-black coworkers, as soon as I walked in the department, were complimenting me like crazy. I was shocked. Shocked One even said she smells my coconut condish and she loves the smell.

Stranger: One Hispanic women middle aged (thick spanish accent) was in awe of my hair. She asked me "Is that your hair?" I thought I didn't hear right so I asked her to repeat herself Laughing She repeated herself and I said "yes". She went on to say" your hair is beautiful and I love the color." I think she wanted to touch it but I was moving toward the door so she didn't get a chance ask. Laughing

THANKS AGAIN TO MC FOR BRINGING THIS NEW METHOD TO THIS FORUM'S ATTENTION!!! KEEP UP THE GOOD CURLY WORK...((HUGS))

I WILL POST PICS LATER.
HAVE A TREMENDOUS TUESDAY LADIES!!!

Awww! You're welcome! Your husband will come around. Just keep wearing your hair out, eventually he will get used to it, and love it! Sometimes it takes them a little longer to adjust...it will be okay. I am happy that you were pleased. Once I see your pictures, maybe I can suggest a few tips for you, so it can dry the way you want it to dry. I am happy your coworkers love it too! That is AWESOME!!!! IntelligentBeauty;-) - Page 39 Icon_biggrin

I am sure the pictures are going to be FAB!
MahoganyCurls
MahoganyCurls

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 16th March 2010, 9:23 am

Thank you for that. I agree with everything you said. I have a list of products I want to get but you just mentioned Miss jessie's. I have her sample pack and I don't think her curly pudding has mineral oil. I will have to check it out but I will that over my leave in tonigHt. Thanks again.(( Hugs back at ya))
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 16th March 2010, 9:30 am

BlondeByDesire wrote:I'm sorry it wasn't to your liking in the end. KNH gave good advice above. I do believe you need to find the right products.

IMO the puff and afro styles are one in the same.

I'm praying for ya!

In the mean time I hope your husband can gradually embrace your natural texture for what it is.

Peace and Blessings...

Thanks BBD. Pray my husband's mind set will change too.
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 39 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum