CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Deep Conditioning w/ Bentonite

+5
Takeya
naturallynola
J.S.M.
CurlyNMixed
CiaE
9 posters

Go down

Deep Conditioning w/ Bentonite Empty Deep Conditioning w/ Bentonite

Post by CiaE 18th November 2010, 1:35 am

Hey guys im in the process of taking out my yarn braids and I was wondering if you guys would recommend me DC with bentonite (sp?) clay. I gave my best DC away and i dont have any funds to go out to buy anything to actually DC with. I do have honey and EVOO aswell. Any suggestions???
CiaE
CiaE

http://napskinkslove.onsugar.com

Back to top Go down

Deep Conditioning w/ Bentonite Empty Re: Deep Conditioning w/ Bentonite

Post by CurlyNMixed 18th November 2010, 1:38 am

This is something I've been looking into, as well. I will be watching this thread.
CurlyNMixed
CurlyNMixed

Back to top Go down

Post by J.S.M. 18th November 2010, 2:11 am

Bentonite clay is a deep cleanser and exfoliant. It's basically a natural clarifier in the form of a fine powder. It's can be very drying and I definitely wouldn't recommend it as a DC, but you might have luck with rhassoul (or ghassoul) clay.

J.S.M.

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 18th November 2010, 9:06 am

CiaE - DON'T DO IT!

Why?
1) Not its purpose (it strengthens and clarifies)
2) Its a new product for you= what will be the outcome for you who, at this point, need moisture
3) Possible unpleasant outcomes = extreme dryness, curl loosening

Now, I use Bentonite and love it. Actually doing it tomorrow, but for the purposes in #1 above

Great moisturizing doesn't have to mean spending alot of money. Options are honey, olive oil, coconut oil, yogurt, avocado, molasses, bananas (small jar of baby food = not picking bananas out of hair). Apply MOIST heat by using a plastic cap/bag and hot towel x 45 minutes - 1 hour and you should be good as gold! You don't have to use every one of the ingredients. You can even add honey and olive oil to a conditioner you already have. Hope this helps. P.S. Search Bentonite here. I did a review of my 1st treatment.

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by Takeya 18th November 2010, 11:30 am

I too LOVE bentonite clay (for my hair and face) but completely agree with Naturalnolagirl!

Use whatever conditioner you have, add olive oil (or coconut oil) and a little bit of honey then baggy. I rarely use any heat and still end up with moisturized, soft hair. I've never had braids but it might be good to add a little protein to your deep conditioner by adding eggs or mayo for strengthing.

Good luck!
Takeya
Takeya

http://www.justtakeya.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by simplysloan 18th November 2010, 12:32 pm

Put the Bentonite down! Smile Like all the women above, I've learned it will DRY hair out! I use it on my face only because my scalp and hair dont get along.
simplysloan
simplysloan

Back to top Go down

Post by BajanPrincess82 18th November 2010, 12:51 pm

I agree with naturalnolagirl1900 regarding the honey and oils. You can add honey and an oil to any conditioner to use as a DC.
BajanPrincess82
BajanPrincess82

Back to top Go down

Post by CiaE 18th November 2010, 3:19 pm

Ok i wasnt too sure but thanks guys i get it. So bentonite is somewhat like henna without the coloring? I use bentonite on my face aswell for acne it works great!!
I had the idea of using the clay from here http://savvybrown.com/hair/using-bentonite-clay-as-a-deep-conditioner/ but i guess thats a bad idea lol

I cureently use a cheapsy conditioner like suave. Would adding EVOO and Honey work? Im not trying to leav it in my hair overnight like i usally do with my regualr DC so im not sure how long to keep this mixture of evoo and honey in.
CiaE
CiaE

Back to top Go down

Post by xtremelyperfect 18th November 2010, 3:57 pm

Bentonite is not like henna. Cassia is like henna without the coloring. Bentonite clay is a clarifier. It will take all the impurities off your scalp and hair. Henna is a conditioning treatment that promotes stronger, shinier, and smoother hair. You can read what CurlyNikki has to say about henna here or read this ebook about Henna for Hair. I love bentonite clay and the last time I used it my curls popped and my scalp was so clean but it's definitely not like henna.

To answer your question yes you can add EVOO and honey to a cheap conditioner to create a deep conditioner. I think it's personal preference whether you leave it in overnight or not. I personally did it once and detangling was so awful that I haven't since. But for other people they do it without a problem. Good luck!
xtremelyperfect
xtremelyperfect

http://fuckyeahnadia.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CiaE 18th November 2010, 5:00 pm

xtremelyperfect wrote:Bentonite is not like henna. Cassia is like henna without the coloring. Bentonite clay is a clarifier. It will take all the impurities off your scalp and hair. Henna is a conditioning treatment that promotes stronger, shinier, and smoother hair. You can read what CurlyNikki has to say about henna here or read this ebook about Henna for Hair. I love bentonite clay and the last time I used it my curls popped and my scalp was so clean but it's definitely not like henna.

To answer your question yes you can add EVOO and honey to a cheap conditioner to create a deep conditioner. I think it's personal preference whether you leave it in overnight or not. I personally did it once and detangling was so awful that I haven't since. But for other people they do it without a problem. Good luck!

Sounds like a plan.. so i feel like once these braids are out im gonna DC with a cheap conditooner and then use the bentonite to clarify... or does that sound wrong? Should it be reverse? lol
CiaE
CiaE

Back to top Go down

Post by xtremelyperfect 18th November 2010, 5:33 pm

Reverse! lol. Clarify then deep condition. Smile At least that's how I do it.
xtremelyperfect
xtremelyperfect

http://fuckyeahnadia.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SportySpice 18th November 2010, 5:39 pm

Thanks for all the great info ladies! I have been toiling with the idea of using the bentonite clay, I think I will give it a try for clarifying purposes.

SportySpice

Back to top Go down

Post by CiaE 18th November 2010, 6:02 pm

xtremelyperfect wrote:Reverse! lol. Clarify then deep condition. Smile At least that's how I do it.
Ok cool thats what i thought. So would it be a good idea to acv rinse aswell or would that be OD? lol If not i was planninig on adding acv in the bentonite anyway...
CiaE
CiaE

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 18th November 2010, 9:22 pm

Bentonite is a clarifier in its own right. Both Bentonite and ACV have the potential of being quite drying. That is why I don't mix ACV with Bentonite. I use water. People complain of extreme dryness, but when you use 2 drying agents, that is likely to be the result. If you choose to use the 2 together, I strongly advise that you pre-poo with olive oil overnight and do a heck of a deep moisturizing conditioning after the Bentonite treatment and definitely rinse the Bentonite out thoroughly. If you feel it has all been rinsed out, rinse a little more. Many have have had bouts of dry hair a few days later b/c 1) they did not rinse it out thoroughly and/or 2) the hair felt so soft after the Bentonite treatment, they though they could skip the deep conditioner.

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down