CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

cyclingchick - More Oyin Love, pics...

+37
naturallynola
funkyhairchic
DivaDreamgirl
Intelligentbeauty
JessiWantsCurls
TheRYL1
QueenSheba
teenatty
natchralme
SheeTacular
LaToya28
Neems
KinkyNappyHappy
BlondeByDesire
rayray19
sweetdrk1
poeticlyspkng
bholmes87
DaButterflyBAP
CurlyChefRobin
priceless
libs2001
curl_Gurl
mrsmackey
ChrsLvsBks
freckledmom4
CurlsGalore
swoodward
DvaAuNaturel
BigLipTiff
jlowman1
Lynnieluve
Leta
krazy coils
Nikcoils
CrissyQ
cyclingchick
41 posters

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

cyclingchick - More Oyin Love, pics... Empty cyclingchick - More Oyin Love, pics...

Post by cyclingchick 1st September 2010, 5:39 pm

Hello Lovelies...

I finally decided to do a little journal here. It will be awhile before I have anything noteworthy to post about my hair, so expect a little fluff in this space for now. Smile

A few details about me...

My name is Courtney...I'm a 32 year old corporate travel agent in Dallas. I decided to go natural for health reasons. I have a very sensitive scalp and I finally reached the point where burns were no longer an acceptable part of my "beauty routine". No.more.fire.cream My other deciding factor was my fitness journey. I've lost over 100 lbs in the last several years with the help of Weight Watchers and cycling (indoor and outdoor). I still have a long way to go and I figured it was counterproductive to focus on exercise and nutrition while allowing a harmful chemical to take up residence in my scalp.

cyclingchick - More Oyin Love, pics... 27868_10150187259610582_836725581_12413429_7288083_n

I'm not blessed with a lot of patience, so I knew that my transition would be short. I had no desire to deal with "strappy" for an extended amount of time. My last relaxer was 5/26/10 and I BC'd on 8/18/10. I've been pleased with my decision from the beginning. I know it sounds cliche, but looking in the mirror after the cut and truly seeing myself for the first time was amazing. I wasn't concerned about going so short. I have a major cheek situation going on and decided no amount of hair was going to disguise them, so I might as well be FREE.

cyclingchick - More Oyin Love, pics... Relaxe11cyclingchick - More Oyin Love, pics... 44411_10150245927000582_836725581_14120936_2258908_n

I consider myself lucky because I have a supportive family, boyfriend and network of friends and it has made this entire journey much easier. There are several naturals in my "inner circle" and between them and the lovelies at CN, I feel I'm in good hands. Very Happy

I am loving the ease of the TWA right now, but I also look forward to growing/learning about my texture. I'm a Virgo, so I must say the methodical world of Natural Hair is right up my alley. LOL

Last edited by cyclingchick on 20th March 2011, 8:12 pm; edited 26 times in total
cyclingchick
cyclingchick

Back to top Go down

cyclingchick - More Oyin Love, pics... Empty Re: cyclingchick - More Oyin Love, pics...

Post by CrissyQ 1st September 2010, 5:47 pm

AHHH its about time! Welcome and congrats on your weight loss and gettn the fire cream out of you life. You look good with that TWA, and you said cheek issues? Are you kidding, you are beautiful.
CrissyQ
CrissyQ

Back to top Go down

cyclingchick - More Oyin Love, pics... Empty Re: cyclingchick - More Oyin Love, pics...

Post by Nikcoils 1st September 2010, 6:20 pm

Welcpme! Congrats on the weight loss and the BC! Can't wait for more updates.
Nikcoils
Nikcoils

Back to top Go down

Post by cyclingchick 1st September 2010, 6:20 pm

Thanks, Cris! I joke about my cheeks/big face. It seems that some women are scared to do the BC because face/head size, but I've yet to see a bad TWA...maybe we're just all gorgeous and can rock anything. Very Happy
cyclingchick
cyclingchick

Back to top Go down

Post by cyclingchick 1st September 2010, 6:21 pm

Thank you, np! Smile
cyclingchick
cyclingchick

Back to top Go down

Post by krazy coils 1st September 2010, 6:50 pm

Congratulations on your bc, your twa is gorgeous! Congrats on the weight loss also. Weight watchers really taught me about portion control and I was able to lose weight with this method.
krazy coils
krazy coils

http://public.fotki.com/kamaia16/, https://www.youtube.com/user/k

Back to top Go down

Post by cyclingchick 1st September 2010, 8:13 pm

thanks, kc...it really is a sensible program. I needed something that would fit into my life without truly feeling like a diet. Smile
cyclingchick
cyclingchick

Back to top Go down

Post by Leta 2nd September 2010, 6:06 pm

congratulations on your weight loss. Your story has definitely inspired me. BTW, your twa is beautiful Very Happy
Leta
Leta

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 2nd September 2010, 6:45 pm

Welcome to Curl Street and congratulations on your weight loss!!! Maintaining a 100 lbs weightloss shows you have patience and wheel power too!!!

I look forward to watching your hair grow and your body shrink! cyclingchick - More Oyin Love, pics... Icon_wink
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by jlowman1 2nd September 2010, 6:51 pm

Congrats on your weight loss and welcome to Curl Street!
jlowman1
jlowman1

Back to top Go down

Post by cyclingchick 2nd September 2010, 8:16 pm

Thank you, Ladies! Very Happy
cyclingchick
cyclingchick

Back to top Go down

Post by cyclingchick 4th September 2010, 2:57 pm

Happy Weekend Ladies!

I woke up in a fabulous mood...the temperature is in the 80s in Big D (that's practically Fall LOL), all mushy about the beau *and* my baby fro is on the grow! Good stuff...

I have a duathlon in November (run/bike/run), so it's time to kick things up a notch...will be putting time in the gym during this long weekend.

Hair-wise, things are going well. I BC'd 2.5 weeks ago and it's finally starting to feel soft. I have a weird little straight patch in the back, so who knows what will happen with that. Neutral I joined the new growing challenge, so hopefully my micro fro will gain a presence before the end of the year.

Hope you all have a great weekend...
cyclingchick
cyclingchick

Back to top Go down

Post by BigLipTiff 4th September 2010, 3:25 pm

Your TWA is super cute, it's perfect for your cheeks! Very Happy

I'm sure you'll do great in your duathlon!

HAPPY SATURDAY!
BigLipTiff
BigLipTiff

Back to top Go down

Post by cyclingchick 4th September 2010, 5:24 pm

LOL Thanks Tiff...I'm looking forward to the duathlon...the weather will be cool, so no suffering in the heat. Welcome to the forum. Smile
cyclingchick
cyclingchick

Back to top Go down

Post by DvaAuNaturel 5th September 2010, 1:14 pm

Welcome to Curl Street!

Congratulations on your weight loss. I saw your avi change a couple of weeks ago and was like, wow she BC'd and thought to myself she looks so good. Came to look for your journal and didn't find one. I'm glad you've joined us. Very Happy

OMG! 100 lbs. lost that is so friggin awesome. There is so much more going CN.com than hair. All kinds of inspiration. Lynnie & her 5K, Chrs and her weightloss, KinkyShea fitness tips, and so many others living healthy lifestyles and focused on wellness. I just restarted Weight Watchers myself. I did the program before and lost 60 lbs. but got comfortable and slowly gained weight back. This time I don't know what it is but I'm more focused and exercise is actually enjoyable. It's basic and all about making lifestyle changes...not dieting just as you wrote. Reading what you've shared is even more encouraging to me. You rock!

I just BC'd again so we're both TWA'ers. Smile I'll be looking forward to reading about your hair and fitness journey.

Good luck with the dualthlon.
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by swoodward 5th September 2010, 1:35 pm

welcome! congratulations on your weight loss and lovely hair!
swoodward
swoodward

Back to top Go down

Post by cyclingchick 5th September 2010, 3:43 pm

Dva,

Thank you for the kind words! I love this board...such a positive group of women. Good Luck on your weight loss journey too. WW is a great program...and while I'm guilty of getting too comfortable more times than I care to admit (LOL), it's easy to jump back on the wagon and not feel deprived.

swoodward,

Thank you...can't wait until mine grows up and looks like yours. Smile
cyclingchick
cyclingchick

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlsGalore 5th September 2010, 10:15 pm

Hey CC! So glad you finally joined us! Your story is truly inspirational! You look amazing, lovely!
CurlsGalore
CurlsGalore

http://public.fotki.com/mahoganyface

Back to top Go down

Post by cyclingchick 6th September 2010, 4:42 pm

Hi CG...thanks for the kind words! I'm more motivated than ever to finally reach goal weight. New hair, new mindset. Smile

cyclingchick
cyclingchick

Back to top Go down

Post by cyclingchick 8th September 2010, 11:05 am

Good Morning Lovelies...

I am soooo glad that I'm off work today. Tropical Storm Hermine is causing monsoon rain in Dallas and I'm not trying to kayak to the office. Today's agenda: DC while reading a book and listening to Coltrane. Perfection. Smile Hope you all have a great day!
cyclingchick
cyclingchick

Back to top Go down

Post by CrissyQ 8th September 2010, 11:19 am

cyclingchick wrote:Good Morning Lovelies...

I am soooo glad that I'm off work today. Tropical Storm Hermine is causing monsoon rain in Dallas and I'm not trying to kayak to the office. Today's agenda: DC while reading a book and listening to Coltrane. Perfection. Smile Hope you all have a great day!

OO girl that sounds like plan. Enjoy inspite of the storm.
CrissyQ
CrissyQ

Back to top Go down

Post by cyclingchick 11th September 2010, 6:07 pm

Hey Lovelies...

I did my morning workout, got the brows waxed and did some retail therapy. I'm attending a Black/White party next month, so I got some hair candy to dress up the 'do...now to find a dress. Rolling Eyes I have a "difficult" build: smaller up top...Buddha Belly...37 inch inseam...and 6'0" tall. Can someone find me a dress that won't make me look like Patrick on Spongebob? Thaaaaanks.

Soooo...hair news...not a whole lot to report. It's definitely growing. I could barely grab anything after the BC and now I can stretch all areas. As of right now, the top/sides are super tight kinky/coily, but the back has a little bit of a curly thang going on! My stylist said my "kitchen" is in my "living room"...sounds strange, but she's right. LOL

FYI Both pics were taken dry...

cyclingchick - More Oyin Love, pics... Sept1013cyclingchick - More Oyin Love, pics... Sept1014

Anyway, I am thoroughly enjoying things so far (yeah, I know it's been less than a month since the BC). I'm tempted to play around with color, but I think I'll wait until the spring. It's coming in super dark (which I love). A friend of mine made me a mini hairstory from the last few years. Yeah, definitely digging the natural. cheers

cyclingchick - More Oyin Love, pics... Hairhistory

In fitness news, I dropped 5 lbs at this week's weigh-in. I was thrilled because my body doesn't give up weight like the beginning of my journey. However, I have been a spin queen lately and my company's 10,000 steps challenge is helping too. I'm the captain of my team, so you know I have to carry my own weight and then some. Very Happy

Random: If you haven't heard Willow Smith's new song "Whip My Hair", check it out. I am not ashamed to be almost 33 years old and jamming to a 9-year old's song. LOL Lemme go find some hair to whip. haha

Well, I need to get some things done around the house. No big plans tonight...will probably catch a movie with the beau. Hope you all have a great weekend!
cyclingchick
cyclingchick

Back to top Go down

Post by freckledmom4 11th September 2010, 6:48 pm

Welcome to CSJ. I really enjoyed your story. Congrats on losing another 5! I'll have to check out the song.
freckledmom4
freckledmom4

Back to top Go down

Post by cyclingchick 11th September 2010, 7:05 pm

Thank you! Smile
cyclingchick
cyclingchick

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 11th September 2010, 7:23 pm

Welcome!

Great to hear of your weight loss over the years! I am encouraged by your journey. I'm hoping to lose 78 pounds total by February 18, 2012, and rock a bikini for my 40th birthday on an island somewhere.

Enjoy both journeys--you look great!
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next