CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Battles and the Beauty

Go down

The Battles and the Beauty Empty The Battles and the Beauty

Post by Dark~&~Curly 19th November 2009, 12:21 am

Good evening ladies. I wanted to share my 2 almost 3 year hair journey. I went natural in January 2, 2007. I woke up at my mother's house and went to my hair stylist to recieve another relaxer. As I was sitting in the chair impatiently waiting for him to start I said, " You know what, just cut it all off." He laughed at me and said, " Your joking right?" I wasn't joking. I got tired of sitting in a chair waiting for my scalp to burn for straight for a style that I was going to sweat out everytime I went to work out. After he chopped off all of the relaxed hair I felt so free. I felt like washing my hair to see all of the waves that I new existed. When I left the hair shop my mother was shocked that I came out with no hair. It took a while for me to get used to people staring at me like shes bald etc. & laughing. I expected that from the people that lived in Milwaukee (my hometown). As I went back to school I didn't tell anyone what I had done to my head, I walked around with a hoodie on my head ashamed. My boyfriend loved to play in my silky relaxed hair until he reached his hand to touch my hair and he didn't feel hair but scalp. I began to get used to having natural hair. I found it to be more convient. My product of choice was the discontinued Soft Curl from Garnier Frutis.

The summer of 2007 I moved to Atlanta looking for a new start. I felt very confortable becuase their were alot of natural women down here. As time went on my hair grew and I colored my hair honey blonde, auburn, and brown. I began to recieve so many compliments about my hair. I found myself recieving kudos for just being natural. In 2008 I started using Miss Jessies products. I was able to style my hair in my curly fro, pony puff and flat twist. But I found my number one battle to be humidity and lack of moisture. I continued to wear my hair in many different low maintance styles and have more cash in my pockets. In the fall/ winter of 2008 I was getting my hair roller set and styled. As I began to research the net for natural hair ideas discovered that flat irons reverse the hair pattern so I tossed the flat irons and when back to my curly hair styles.

2009 I told myself that I would take more care of my hair, I began to go to a "curly hairstyler." I left the shop feeling cheated out of 70 bucks. I could have done everthing the stylist had done. So in the spring I began to research and do my own hair. As the year 2009 ends I continue on my hair journey in search for my BSL for my curls.
Dark~&~Curly
Dark~&~Curly

Back to top Go down