CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NaturallyStarlet

+8
BlondeByDesire
Lynnieluve
KinkyNappyHappy
HumanNature
sweetdrk1
Intelligentbeauty
truet
NaturallyStarlet
12 posters

Go down

NaturallyStarlet Empty NaturallyStarlet

Post by NaturallyStarlet 16th November 2009, 2:35 am

Natural for 10 years and counting..... always open to tips and tricks
NaturallyStarlet
NaturallyStarlet

Back to top Go down

NaturallyStarlet Empty Re: NaturallyStarlet

Post by NaturallyStarlet 17th November 2009, 2:41 am

Post #2
I think that I have taken the biggest step to having strong healthy hair since i banned relaxer from my head....... I threw out my blow dryer today. Heat styling has caused constant breakage and although i've been natural 10 years my length hasn't changed in 5.
Looking forward to finding products to bring out my natural curl
NaturallyStarlet
NaturallyStarlet

Back to top Go down

Post by NaturallyStarlet 24th December 2009, 9:55 pm

Who Knew it would feel so good to have my grandma ruffle my fro, tell me my hair looks great. NaturallyStarlet Icon_biggrin
NaturallyStarlet
NaturallyStarlet

Back to top Go down

Post by truet 24th December 2009, 11:28 pm

I throw away my flat iron away in august although i havent used it since i went natural (1 yr and 3 months) it feels good to throw away those heat appliances that hold you back. welcome have fun
truet
truet

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 25th December 2009, 12:51 am

Welcome naturallystarlet!!! And Merry CHRISTmas!!! NaturallyStarlet Icon_biggrin
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 27th December 2009, 12:38 am

Welcome!!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanNature 27th December 2009, 4:42 pm

I'm glad your grandma likes the fro. Your hair looks nice and healthy. Maybe you will find some ways to retain lenth on this blog. I've learned many helpful tips. Welcome NaturallyStarlet Icon_smile
HumanNature
HumanNature

Back to top Go down

Post by NaturallyStarlet 23rd February 2010, 1:34 am

So,

I co-washed today w/ EE hello hydration and deep conditioned w/ Redkin Butter Treat. My hair felt great right out of the shower! Smoothed a shea & cocoa butter blend through my hair and styled w/ flat twists. We will see how it looks in the morning.... NaturallyStarlet Star3
NaturallyStarlet
NaturallyStarlet

Back to top Go down

Post by NaturallyStarlet 23rd February 2010, 4:58 am

Has anyone heard of L.O.I.S. hair typing? I can't figure out my hair type w/ the standard 3C/ 4A method. I think that i am a 4a with a lot of 3c at the crown of my head but i'm not sure. The L.O.I.S. method seems easier to figure out my type but I almost never hear anyone mention it.
NaturallyStarlet
NaturallyStarlet

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkyNappyHappy 23rd February 2010, 9:09 am

No I haven't heard of the L.O.I.S method of hair typing. Can you elaborate?
KinkyNappyHappy
KinkyNappyHappy

Back to top Go down

Post by NaturallyStarlet 23rd February 2010, 5:50 pm

The L.O.I.S. hair typing method types hair on its curl pattern, texture and strand size.
(this is the method quoted from www.tytecurl.com)

Find Your Pattern:

L
- If the hair has all bends, right angles and folds with little to no curve then you are daughter L.

O - If the strand is rolled up into the shape of one or several zeros like a spiral, then you are daughter O.

I - If the hair lies mostly flat with no distinctive curve or bend you are daughter I.

S - If the strand looks like a wavy line with hills and valleys then you are daughter S.

You may have a combination of the LOIS letters, possibly with one dominant. If you cannot see one letter over the others, then combine the letters. Example: LO or IL or OS..

Find Your Strand size:
A strand of frayed thread is about the thickness of a medium sized strand of human hair. If your strand is larger than this, then your hair is thick. If your strand is smaller than this, hair is thin, or fine..

Find Your Texture:
Shine is a sharp reflection of light while Sheen is a dull reflection of light.

Thready - Hair as a low sheen, with high shine if the hair is held taut (as in a braid), with low frizz. Wets easily but water dries out quickly.

Wiry - Hair has a sparkly sheen, with low shine and low frizz. Water beads up or bounces off the hair strands. Hair never seems to get fully wet.

Cottony - Hair has a low sheen, a high shine if the hair is held taunt and has high frizz. Absorbs water quickly but does not get thoroughly wet very fast.

Spongy - Hair has a high sheen with low shine with a compacted looking frizz. Absorbs water before it gets thoroughly wet.

Silky - Hair has low sheen, a very high shine, with a lot or low frizz. Easily wets in water.
NaturallyStarlet
NaturallyStarlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 24th February 2010, 12:51 am

NaturallyStarlet wrote:The L.O.I.S. hair typing method types hair on its curl pattern, texture and strand size.

Find Your Pattern:

L
- If the hair has all bends, right angles and folds with little to no curve then you are daughter L.

O - If the strand is rolled up into the shape of one or several zeros like a spiral, then you are daughter O.

I - If the hair lies mostly flat with no distinctive curve or bend you are daughter I.

S - If the strand looks like a wavy line with hills and valleys then you are daughter S.

You may have a combination of the LOIS letters, possibly with one dominant. If you cannot see one letter over the others, then combine the letters. Example: LO or IL or OS..

Find Your Strand size:
A strand of frayed thread is about the thickness of a medium sized strand of human hair. If your strand is larger than this, then your hair is thick. If your strand is smaller than this, hair is thin, or fine..

Find Your Texture:

Thready - Hair as a low sheen, with high shine if the hair is held taut (as in a braid), with low frizz. Wets easily but water dries out quickly.

Wiry - Hair has a sparkly sheen, with low shine and low frizz. Water beads up or bounces off the hair strands. Hair never seems to get fully wet.

Cottony - Hair has a low sheen, a high shine if the hair is held taunt and has high frizz. Absorbs water quickly but does not get thoroughly wet very fast.

Spongy - Hair has a high sheen with low shine with a compacted looking frizz. Absorbs water before it gets thoroughly wet.

Silky - Hair has low sheen, a very high shine, with a lot or low frizz. Easily wets in water.

According to this I am a OS with medium strands of cottony hair!!
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by NaturallyStarlet 24th February 2010, 2:07 am

I like this typing system because it trys to account for the diversity in hair beyond just curl type. I'm an OS w/ fine spongy strands.
NaturallyStarlet
NaturallyStarlet

Back to top Go down

Post by NaturallyStarlet 25th February 2010, 4:34 pm

Has anyone on the forum gone to Miss Jessie's salon?
For some time now I've been contemplating having a professional hair cut; beyond the regular trim that i do myself. It seems that even at the "Natural Hair" salon in my area they want to press my hair before cutting. I'm not a stylist but it seems counter productive to cut it strait when i wear it curly. But back to the point.... Miss Jessie's salon has a great site and the before and after pictures have caught my interest. I can't find much about the cutting method they use (angle and balance) but the hair cuts on the site look fierce.
NaturallyStarlet
NaturallyStarlet

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkyNappyHappy 26th February 2010, 10:06 am

NaturallyStarlet wrote:The L.O.I.S. hair typing method types hair on its curl pattern, texture and strand size.

Find Your Pattern:

L

Find Your Strand size:

Find Your Texture:

This is neat!!! Thanks for sharing.
KinkyNappyHappy
KinkyNappyHappy

Back to top Go down

Post by BlondeByDesire 26th February 2010, 10:24 am

Hello and welcome...
BlondeByDesire
BlondeByDesire

Back to top Go down

Post by NaturallyStarlet 26th February 2010, 2:56 pm

To color or not to color..... that is the question?
more accuratly to henna or to dye. Every summer I highlight my hair, usually I use a comercial hair dye... somthing w/ a subtle cinnamon tone (as close to the color of my dyed ends) This year I'm considering henna. My hair loves protien and I like the idea of looser curls (I have tons of shrinkage). I'm just worried I won't like the results and won't be able to dye over if I hate it.
NaturallyStarlet
NaturallyStarlet

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 28th February 2010, 2:30 am

Welcome!

Thanks for posting the L-O-I-S typing system. I had read it before but don't remember all the other details beyond the LOIS.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NaturallyStarlet 15th March 2010, 5:30 pm

Having healthy hair is my hair goal, not long hair or bone straight hair, healthy natural hair. I've been natural for years but for the first time i'm trying to listen and understand what my hair has been in need of. I have started to find products that satisfy my hair's needs and am trying to limit the amount of manipulation i put my hair through. I am having the hardest time keeping my hands out of my hair. Hand In Hair should be my screen name. Most of the time i don't realize what i'm doing I'm just moving through my day stroking, pulling and touching my hair.
NaturallyStarlet
NaturallyStarlet

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 15th March 2010, 5:33 pm

That keeping the hands of your hair business is a tough one! I am happy you are learning what your hair wants....
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by NaturallyStarlet 19th April 2010, 11:11 pm

NaturallyStarlet Icon_biggrin After 358 days as an unemployed american I have returned to work. Although I've been natural my entire adult life, in the last year I've made some changes to my routine. I've eliminaed heat styling, started using natural products and made a commiment to healthy hair. Now I have to try blending my career with my commitment to healthy hair. Not that I'm concerned with acceptance, I'm worried if my hair will cooperate
NaturallyStarlet
NaturallyStarlet

Back to top Go down

Post by NaturallyStarlet 20th April 2010, 10:17 pm

Day 2 of a flat twist out. Still looking good. Praying it will last
NaturallyStarlet
NaturallyStarlet

Back to top Go down

Post by mstokes2008 20th April 2010, 10:22 pm

Congrats on returning to work! and eliminating heat styling!
mstokes2008
mstokes2008

Back to top Go down

Post by SheeTacular 3rd May 2010, 1:55 pm

Hey!! How is everything going?
SheeTacular
SheeTacular

http://www.ThoughtsInspirationsEtc.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CocaColaCutie 3rd May 2010, 2:38 pm