CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Long Awaited Transition

+16
TheRYL1
jlowman1
CrissyQ
krazy coils
poeticlyspkng
KinkyNappyHappy
Fabulousat50
CocoEuro
sweetdrk1
mstokes2008
LovingLife
QuietButterfly
SheeTacular
Nikcoils
MomnWife
simplyconfident
20 posters

Go down

The Long Awaited Transition Empty The Long Awaited Transition

Post by simplyconfident 23rd July 2010, 7:27 pm

My story:

I've tossed up the idea of transitioning for over almost a year now. In October 2009 the bug really bit me when I was vacationing in DC. There were more beautiful naturals there than I've ever seen in my life, no joke. While riding the metro one night I was sitting down from this beautiful 4a/b chick that had me completly infatuated over her beautiful twist out. When I came back to Houston I knew natural is where I wanted to be. However, somewhere along the way I got side tracked and let my dream dissipate and told my sold myself the lie I've been told my entire life, 'you need a realxer'. I even puprosely avodided any natural/BC/transitiong post becasue I had once again convienced myself that it's noooo way I could ever do it.

Like many other black ladies I've had relaxed hair as long as I could ever recall. I took it as a way of life. It's just what we do to keep the 'kitchen' clean. Plus, I've always had the false idea that my hair was not 'good' enough to be natural. Isn't it sad how we raise our children to think that one's hair texture/length almost makes them superior to others?

I'm so excited to transition. As of right now I'm not really all that attached to my relaxed hair. If I had enough NG I would most likely BC right now. My hair is currently the longest it's ever been, but I really love the versatility being natural brings. Plus, I feel like natural hair is more 'me' becasue it is 'me'! I'm not really addicted to length too much right now. I don't have any strict plans for my hair during my transition. Whenever something stops working, I'll change things up. I plan to transition for 9-12 months (last relaxer was May 21, 2010), and trim/cut as I need/want to. So far I've been wearing a phony pony, buns, and braidouts. Co wash 1-2 x per week and shampooing as needed to remove buildup. DC at least once a week, protein as needed, and daily moisturizing. All in all I'm having a love affair with my new growth. It's really hard to keep my hands out of it!!!

I look foward to sharing my journey to the world and maybe one day being an inspiration to someone else. I welcome any comments or questions, I love to talk hair and can't wait to pick the brains of some of you ladies that are way ahead in the game.

Smoochies

Here are a few pics of my:

October 2009: in DC the night of insperation
The Long Awaited Transition 42210

Jan 2008: Start of HHJ as a relaxed head
The Long Awaited Transition Jan20010

May 2010: Last relaxer
The Long Awaited Transition May_2010

Braidout
The Long Awaited Transition Braido10

2 months post NG
The Long Awaited Transition 2month10

2 months post NG
The Long Awaited Transition 2month11
simplyconfident
simplyconfident

Back to top Go down

The Long Awaited Transition Empty Re: The Long Awaited Transition

Post by MomnWife 23rd July 2010, 7:42 pm

Hi an welcome! I look forward to following your story.
MomnWife
MomnWife

http://www.youravon.com/dsumner

Back to top Go down

Post by Nikcoils 23rd July 2010, 8:35 pm

Welcome! Stay encouraged during this journey.
Nikcoils
Nikcoils

Back to top Go down

Post by SheeTacular 23rd July 2010, 9:06 pm

welcome!!!
SheeTacular
SheeTacular

http://www.ThoughtsInspirationsEtc.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by QuietButterfly 23rd July 2010, 9:06 pm

Welcome and good luck on your journey!!! The Long Awaited Transition Icon_biggrin
QuietButterfly
QuietButterfly

Back to top Go down

Post by LovingLife 25th July 2010, 1:48 am

Welcome fellow transitioner! I am just as excited for you as I am for my own transition!
I look forward to following your journey!! =]
LovingLife
LovingLife

http://www.twitter.com/DesireeCarey

Back to top Go down

Post by mstokes2008 25th July 2010, 2:13 am

Welcome Lady!!!! Were those highlights in the Jan 08 pic?? They're really pretty! I really like your braid out too!! Good luck and I'll be following your journey Smile
mstokes2008
mstokes2008

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 25th July 2010, 2:23 am

Welcome to curl street!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by CocoEuro 25th July 2010, 7:28 pm

Welcome!!!
CocoEuro
CocoEuro

http://naturalcurlykinks.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Fabulousat50 25th July 2010, 11:38 pm

Welcome and good luck on your journey!!!
Fabulousat50
Fabulousat50

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkyNappyHappy 25th July 2010, 11:44 pm

Welcome to CS. Did I read that you were from Houston? You are going to enjoy this journey and the support that you will receive on this site!!

Look forward to you BC...in 9 -12 months...or maybe sooner!! Very Happy
KinkyNappyHappy
KinkyNappyHappy

Back to top Go down

Post by poeticlyspkng 26th July 2010, 12:01 pm

Hello there and welcome to Curl Street! Looking forward to following your journey!
poeticlyspkng
poeticlyspkng

http://www.curlynikki.forumotion.com/the-curl-street-journal-f14

Back to top Go down

Post by krazy coils 26th July 2010, 12:14 pm

Welcome to Curl Street!
krazy coils
krazy coils

http://public.fotki.com/kamaia16/, https://www.youtube.com/user/k

Back to top Go down

Post by CrissyQ 26th July 2010, 12:24 pm

welcome
CrissyQ
CrissyQ

Back to top Go down

Post by jlowman1 26th July 2010, 12:53 pm

Welcome to Curl Street! Good luck on your journey!
jlowman1
jlowman1

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRYL1 26th July 2010, 1:16 pm

Welcome...come on in! ;-)
TheRYL1
TheRYL1

Back to top Go down

Post by simplyconfident 5th August 2010, 8:49 pm

Thanx ladies for all the warm welcomes!!

KinkyNappyHappy: I am a fellow Houstonian!!! Not too many naturals in our neck of the woods. However, I’m looking forward to meeting more curly heads during some of the meet ups.

My hair has continued to do some mad shedding!! Along with a bit of breakage. I would do my usual cowash/shampoo, DC, moisturize, seal, air dry, protective style, moisturize and seal daily.. My hair would look and feel ‘ok’ for about 2 days tops and then immediately turn into a hard brillo pad!! So I decided to try something new which resulted in fantastic results.

Here’s what I did differently:

Made four sections and applied V05 conditioner to my dry hair and detangled/removed shedded hair Braided each section and cowashed each section individually. Applied DC to each section, reclipped. Rinsed DC from each section individually in shower. Results, 90% decrease in tangles.

Applied leave in conditioner (HH LTR to one side and Giovanii Smooth as Silk to another because I was seeing which my hair likes the most) to each section of hair individually. Results, able to concentrate on each section, better product distribution.

Did not apply she abutter, moisturizer, or seal with oil. Results very supple hair.

Respritz hair with Shescentit Moisture Mist daily and reapplied very small amount of creamy leave in. Results, very moisturized soft hair daily (new growth included). NO CRUNCH.

Applied dime sized amount of cone (Argan oil from Sally’s) to only the exposed part of hair for shine purposes only. ***spoiler for some I know.

Stopped applying Beemine growth serum to scalp.

All in all I’m very excited about these small tweaks that have made a huge impact in my hairs health. I think I was in denial before, but I really don’t think my hair likes oils (shea butter included). It leaves me with a hard crunchy mess which then leads to breakage. I’ve read that many naturals love using conditioner for their leave in, but I thought it would leave my relaxed hair stiff from build up. At the moment my new growth and relaxed hair are both very happy with the changes I made.
simplyconfident
simplyconfident

Back to top Go down

Post by freckledmom4 5th August 2010, 11:13 pm

Great story. Looks like you are in your way to healthy natural hair.
freckledmom4
freckledmom4

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturally Zee 6th August 2010, 12:12 am

Welcome!!
Naturally Zee
Naturally Zee

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkyNappyHappy 6th August 2010, 12:56 pm

Hi SimplyC...

You are correct; there are not very many naturals here compared to up north. However, we are getting there!! I hope we have another meet-up soon, because CN H-Town curlies are growing in numbers. The Long Awaited Transition Icon_cheers

I see you tweeked your regiment. That's good you were able to find a method and products that works for both textures. Moisture is the key to a successful transition I've read from watching IntelligentBeauty's and BlondeByDesire's transition. You can find their thread here if you go back a pages. They both transitioned for about a year.

Just stopping by to say hi **waving**

Have a great weekend.

KNH
KinkyNappyHappy
KinkyNappyHappy

Back to top Go down

Post by simplyconfident 24th August 2010, 10:09 pm

Well,

This weekend I decided to spill the beans to my mother on my decision to go natural. This did not go over too well. I got a ton of grief from my other family members who were in the room as well. One of my Aunts kept insisting that going natural would be only look nice on me if I straightened my natural hair. I told her that was totally defeating the purpose!!!! Everyone’s big question was “what are you going to do with it“? This question truly puzzles me because I find it challenging to explain to other black women (plus those of other races) how I plan to style my hair after my BC. It seems to be easier to show than tell. Heck, it took me doing months of research on the internet before I even had a idea on how to style my hair after my BC. I showed my mother a picture of my NG that I had on my phone and her exact words were ‘this little bit of hair’. My feelings were hurt. I didn’t expect my mother to understand my journey, but I also didn’t expect her to be so mean about it. I was so annoyed by all the negativity that I left. Not one person had anything supportive to say. Latter on that night she called me and I’m sure my tone revealed I was not in the mood to talk at all. She asked what was wrong and I told her that she hurt my feelings and was very negative. In the end she apologized and said she did not intend for her words to be hurtful but recognized how they could be. She also said, “you’re a grown woman and can do what ever you please to do with your hair.”

When I logged on to CN this week I read a quote that I have thus repeated to myself every day….so fitting for what I went through this weekend.

‘If you don't believe it no one else will.’
-Barbara

Anyways, here are my NG pics for month three. I’m so excited with my growth rate thus far. I see my expected transition time getting shorter and shorter. My ultimate goal for when I BC is to have enough hair to wear a head band and do two strand twist.

The Long Awaited Transition 3month12

The Long Awaited Transition 3month13

The Long Awaited Transition 3month14

The Long Awaited Transition 3month15

I put a little IC gel on my NG behind my ear to see how my hair would respond and I love it.
simplyconfident
simplyconfident

Back to top Go down

Post by Cnicoles6 25th August 2010, 12:29 am

I'm in H-Town too, and your mother sounds like mine. "Your hair is gonna fall out! When you were little i couldn't get a comb through it. Well when you want a perm I'll pay for it" and so forth. Well after i went natural my mom did too! LOL now she can't wait to see what new thing I might do. Just keep at it, she'll come around or just be quiet about it (my granny, and even she came around). Welcome to Curl Street!
Cnicoles6
Cnicoles6

Back to top Go down

Post by CocoEuro 25th August 2010, 9:38 am

awww..welcome!!! You have our support!!! ; )
CocoEuro
CocoEuro

http://naturalcurlykinks.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 1st September 2010, 5:36 pm

Welcome! Hope you the best on your transition.

It sounds like you are listening to your hair and making changes as needed. You will have ups and downs. Feel free to reach out to your CN ladies for help. Many of us never had a relaxer or BC’d. I look forward to finding out what else you learn about your hair while you transition.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down