CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ask MahoganyCurls

+64
rashin
cioccolata
Sebastain13
CurlyChick
Free&Curly
darkbeautytt
caracara
Maricopa
JQ
Ameenah
rnewsome
LeleGriff
NewlyNina
LuxLocsnCurls
C.
newcurlieque
poeticlyspkng
JessJ
Sabina
CSI
sunbaby
jlowman1
dbvais
kinky-coily1107
Abisco
DaRkcHoCoLaTe
back2basics
sweetface1118
naijabelle
ohnatural
CurlyMo
Succinctlyso
lena73
cococurly
.:Eden:.
Cbbeanbeautii
JustMe
NaturalNixon
Corygentri
Kea::curls
krisdion01
rosscd
theboldandthecurly
Notthecoolmom
FrouLaLa
Redcamerasnaps
crustaceans
curlyq145
Congolaise
NikE
Pi*Jay
frenchie
NappyJer19
anaturalessence
Pat
sweetdrk1
Intelligentbeauty
NubieNatty
Lynnieluve
curly+kinky+fierce
NhappyJackie
traveljunkie08
MahoganyCurls
*CurlyNikki*
68 posters

Page 11 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Ask MahoganyCurls - Page 11 Empty Re: Ask MahoganyCurls

Post by JQ 15th March 2010, 6:28 pm

Jess, what do you use as a moisturizer? I've been noticing that most people condition and then moisturize. I usually condition and that's the end other than olive oil and eco gel. Any ideas about what I can use?
JQ
JQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Maricopa 15th March 2010, 6:42 pm

@Mohoganycurls I just did my BC yesterday Yay! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] after 8 months of transitioning and I am going to attempt to do the spiral roller set from your video on youtube.com, can you tell me how to maintain the style to last for a couple of days at least. Thanks.
Maricopa
Maricopa

Back to top Go down

Post by caracara 16th March 2010, 9:48 pm

MC,
Are there any products that you have been dying to try when you get back to the US? I also have fine hair as well, and would like to know what you purchase once you are here. BTW, if you can, please do a tutorial on your pin-up that you wore at the formal event. I have tried to replicate it, but wasn't sure if you did it like a puff or used bobby pins. Thanks so much for the inspiration.
caracara
caracara

Back to top Go down

Post by MahoganyCurls 17th March 2010, 8:40 am

JQ wrote:Jess, what do you use as a moisturizer? I've been noticing that most people condition and then moisturize. I usually condition and that's the end other than olive oil and eco gel. Any ideas about what I can use?

Hey!
I do the same thing. I just use conditioner only and I will seal with oil, if i remember. But conditioner is my moisturizer. I may add a little gel if i want more hold, but this it!

My favs are:
TIGI Bed HEad Moisture Maniac-been using it for a year now

V05- a year as well
Suave Naturals- a year

Herbal Essence Totally Twisted and Hello Hydration-

DevaCare One Conditioner- starting to fall in love with it!

HTH! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
MahoganyCurls
MahoganyCurls

Back to top Go down

Post by MahoganyCurls 17th March 2010, 8:42 am

Maricopa wrote:@Mohoganycurls I just did my BC yesterday Yay! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] after 8 months of transitioning and I am going to attempt to do the spiral roller set from your video on youtube.com, can you tell me how to maintain the style to last for a couple of days at least. Thanks.

Congrats on your BC!!! Well, all I did to maintain my style was pull the curls out (they will be smushed) the next day and twirl..the curls pop right back! Lol!

You can put a little oil on your hands or shea, whatever you like (no water based moisturizers) when you are pulling and twirling...

MahoganyCurls
MahoganyCurls

Back to top Go down

Post by MahoganyCurls 17th March 2010, 8:49 am

caracara wrote:MC,
Are there any products that you have been dying to try when you get back to the US? I also have fine hair as well, and would like to know what you purchase once you are here. BTW, if you can, please do a tutorial on your pin-up that you wore at the formal event. I have tried to replicate it, but wasn't sure if you did it like a puff or used bobby pins. Thanks so much for the inspiration.

Hey!
Good question! Well, I do want to try a couple of oyin handmade products: the honey hemp conditioner and juices and berries...I LOVE CONDITIONERS!!! I want to try the curls line, jessicurl products, I want to try the Kinky Curly Knot Today- I have the Kinky Curling custard, still trying to figure out how to properly use it...That is pretty much it. I do want to buy some curlformers and see how those work as well.

Oh yeah, i want to get some more Deva products. I love Lorraine Masseys curly girl method and I am really starting to like my Deva Care one condition, I love the low poo. I want to try the set it free, No poo, and the heaven in hair and their deva clips! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I will most likely purchase the oyin honey hemp conditioner first and the juices and berries. Then I will slowly try the other stuff.

I am pretty much stuck on the same ol products i have been using for a year though:

Bed head moisture maniac- my favorite product (currently using)
Suave Naturals Conditioner
V05 Conditoner
Hello Hydration and Totally TWisted Conditioner
DevaCare One conditioner-starting to fall in love with it.

I can try to do the pin up tutorial, it was basically a puff slicked back. that was done last september so I do not know how it will turn out now, but I can still try to do the tutorial when i start back making more MC videos!

MahoganyCurls
MahoganyCurls

Back to top Go down

Post by Maricopa 17th March 2010, 8:49 pm

@mahoganycurls, first let me say "THANK YOU" and you & your hair are simply gorgeous. I was able to do the spiral curls and my goodness it turned out very, very nice as well as soft. I am on day 3 and my hair is still curly. I am loving this doo! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] . Thanks for all your tutorials and inspirations on managing natural hair. I have seen most of your videos which are very informative. Thank you for taking the time and patience to share your knowledge. I am loving my "twa" [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] and looking forward to try other new natural styles.

Peace/love
Maricopa
Maricopa

Back to top Go down

Post by MahoganyCurls 23rd March 2010, 5:16 pm

Maricopa wrote:@mahoganycurls, first let me say "THANK YOU" and you & your hair are simply gorgeous. I was able to do the spiral curls and my goodness it turned out very, very nice as well as soft. I am on day 3 and my hair is still curly. I am loving this doo! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] . Thanks for all your tutorials and inspirations on managing natural hair. I have seen most of your videos which are very informative. Thank you for taking the time and patience to share your knowledge. I am loving my "twa" [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] and looking forward to try other new natural styles.

Peace/love

Aww thank you so much! That means so much to me! I am HAPPY for you! Yay!!!!!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
MahoganyCurls
MahoganyCurls

Back to top Go down

Post by dbvais 23rd March 2010, 10:20 pm

Hi Jess,

I saw your video on the roller setting. I also asked about it a couple of months ago. I tried it! It was still a little wet in the back when I went to school this morning, but that part was easily hidden. I thought it went well! People at school had mixed responses.

I usually just blow dry my hair and pull it back in a ponytail so I guess people didn't know how to take it. One person even said it looked crazy and asked me if I got a relaxer to do it! I guess since this is the conservative south, people are used to straight hair or dreadlocks, not big hair. My hair is pretty thick and has a little bit of length so it was really big! But I love big hair!

Well anywho, thanks for your videos on youtube. They are very informative.

-Bionca

dbvais

http://myspace.com/dbvais, facebook

Back to top Go down

Post by MahoganyCurls 24th March 2010, 3:37 am

dbvais wrote:Hi Jess,

I saw your video on the roller setting. I also asked about it a couple of months ago. I tried it! It was still a little wet in the back when I went to school this morning, but that part was easily hidden. I thought it went well! People at school had mixed responses.

I usually just blow dry my hair and pull it back in a ponytail so I guess people didn't know how to take it. One person even said it looked crazy and asked me if I got a relaxer to do it! I guess since this is the conservative south, people are used to straight hair or dreadlocks, not big hair. My hair is pretty thick and has a little bit of length so it was really big! But I love big hair!

Well anywho, thanks for your videos on youtube. They are very informative.

-Bionca

Yay! I am so happy, girl, dont worry about them. I am from Ga too (macon) so I know how people can be. Where do you attend school, Paine? I love big hair too! I am so happy for you! I went to Albany State. Anyway, that is great to hear! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
MahoganyCurls
MahoganyCurls

Back to top Go down

Post by dbvais 24th March 2010, 11:16 am

Thanks for your response! Paine is about 3 minutes from my school. I go to Augusta State University. THis is my last year.

dbvais

http://myspace.com/dbvais, facebook

Back to top Go down

Post by darkbeautytt 25th March 2010, 2:00 pm

hey mohagonycurls, im a friend of your on youtube and i never knew u were part of this community. i have been watching you since u went natural. my point is that i tried to do the CG method but i did it all worng, so i revisited your channel when i realized that i was still experiencing dry hair to to find out that i had to clarify with a sulfate shampoo when i begin, but before then i just put my hair in weave which i will have it in till the end of april. so that way i can restart the CG method over, any tips for me before i continue my nautral hair journey chica? thanks. i BC last month so i want to get some growth for the summer, so please help. thanks
darkbeautytt
darkbeautytt

https://www.youtube.com/darkbeautytt

Back to top Go down

Post by Free&Curly 29th March 2010, 1:25 pm

Hello MahagonyCurls. It was your post that gave me the courage to finally BC this past friday and am currently rocking a TWA. My last relaxer was Sept 2009. I feel like my hair is not absorbing moisture really well. Should I be washing my hair everyday bc its so short? (Ok, I know I just chopped off my hair 2 days ago but I feel like it still be able to retain moisture.) Im currently using Cream of Nature Ultra Moisturizing Shampo, A lavender/Avacado conditioner, Knot to day leave-in (I dont know why since I dont have any hair) and Hair Balm by Carol's Daughter.

Now that I think of it could be the dry weather. I live in AZ....I just wanted someone else's opinion of the situation.

Free&Curly

Back to top Go down

Post by MahoganyCurls 12th April 2010, 10:21 am

darkbeautytt wrote:hey mohagonycurls, im a friend of your on youtube and i never knew u were part of this community. i have been watching you since u went natural. my point is that i tried to do the CG method but i did it all worng, so i revisited your channel when i realized that i was still experiencing dry hair to to find out that i had to clarify with a sulfate shampoo when i begin, but before then i just put my hair in weave which i will have it in till the end of april. so that way i can restart the CG method over, any tips for me before i continue my nautral hair journey chica? thanks. i BC last month so i want to get some growth for the summer, so please help. thanks

Hi!
Please forgive my late response! I am in the process of moving back stateside and i havent been logging on a regular basis. Okay, yes, you were definitely suppose to shampoo with a sulfate poo before you start the CG method. I think you pretty much have it since you will eliminate any residue from the silicones with the sulfate shampoo. Congrats on your bc! I would say, make sure you are VERY patient with your hair. Short natural hair gets VERY VERY VERY dry. This is normal, so do not freak out about it, just cowash (depending how your hair responds you can do this 1x a week or more...) deep condition 1x a week or 2x a month, use a conditioner to moisturize your hair and sleep with a satin bonnet or scarf over your hair everynight and make sure you wet your hair everday if you are wearing a wash n go. Water helps to hydrate your curls...i think you will be fine! Good luck!
MahoganyCurls
MahoganyCurls

Back to top Go down

Post by MahoganyCurls 12th April 2010, 10:26 am

Free&Curly wrote:Hello MahagonyCurls. It was your post that gave me the courage to finally BC this past friday and am currently rocking a TWA. My last relaxer was Sept 2009. I feel like my hair is not absorbing moisture really well. Should I be washing my hair everyday bc its so short? (Ok, I know I just chopped off my hair 2 days ago but I feel like it still be able to retain moisture.) Im currently using Cream of Nature Ultra Moisturizing Shampo, A lavender/Avacado conditioner, Knot to day leave-in (I dont know why since I dont have any hair) and Hair Balm by Carol's Daughter.

Now that I think of it could be the dry weather. I live in AZ....I just wanted someone else's opinion of the situation.

Hi, like I stated earlier, please forgive me for my late reply. I am in the process of moving and i havent been checking post on a regular basis.

I wouldn't recommend shampooing your hair everyday, especially with shampoo. That can cause some serious dryness. TWAs are very dry alone, so I feel that shampoo will add more fuel to that problem. Instead if you feel your scalp need to be clean you can cowash with conditioner. I prefer suave naturals or V05 conditoners. Or you can just rinse it everyday and style it as usual. I really think it is the shampooing that is making it very dry. Remember TWAs are Dry so you have to keep the moisture levels up in short natural hair.

I only cowashed 1x a week with my TWA and wet it everyday between then, and of course style as usual. I deep conditoned 1x a week and slept with my satin bonnet at night. You will be fine, just be patient and nurture your hair. Lol! Dont worry about styling it while it is short. I used to style my twa all the time! Meaning I would use a lot of different products too! I hope this helps and again sorry!

Congrats on your bc!
MahoganyCurls
MahoganyCurls

Back to top Go down

Post by darkbeautytt 15th April 2010, 1:22 am

hey thanks for your reply and kind words. how is the baby, probably all grown up now. i will defintely follow your advice and watch more vid on utube so thanks for your support.
darkbeautytt
darkbeautytt

Back to top Go down

Post by darkbeautytt 15th April 2010, 1:22 am

also i will keep u posted on how it goes and make new vid on youtube also for other naturals out there. thanks
darkbeautytt
darkbeautytt

Back to top Go down

Post by Free&Curly 18th April 2010, 3:31 pm

MahoganyCurls wrote:
Free&Curly wrote:Hello MahagonyCurls. It was your post that gave me the courage to finally BC this past friday and am currently rocking a TWA. My last relaxer was Sept 2009. I feel like my hair is not absorbing moisture really well. Should I be washing my hair everyday bc its so short? (Ok, I know I just chopped off my hair 2 days ago but I feel like it still be able to retain moisture.) Im currently using Cream of Nature Ultra Moisturizing Shampo, A lavender/Avacado conditioner, Knot to day leave-in (I dont know why since I dont have any hair) and Hair Balm by Carol's Daughter.

Hi, like I stated earlier, please forgive me for my late reply. I am in the process of moving and i havent been checking post on a regular basis.

I wouldn't recommend shampooing your hair everyday, especially with shampoo. That can cause some serious dryness. TWAs are very dry alone, so I feel that shampoo will add more fuel to that problem. Instead if you feel your scalp need to be clean you can cowash with conditioner. I prefer suave naturals or V05 conditoners. Or you can just rinse it everyday and style it as usual. I really think it is the shampooing that is making it very dry. Remember TWAs are Dry so you have to keep the moisture levels up in short natural hair.

I only cowashed 1x a week with my TWA and wet it everyday between then, and of course style as usual. I deep conditoned 1x a week and slept with my satin bonnet at night. You will be fine, just be patient and nurture your hair. Lol! Dont worry about styling it while it is short. I used to style my twa all the time! Meaning I would use a lot of different products too! I hope this helps and again sorry!

Congrats on your bc!

Thanks!!! I was beginning to think it was just me. It seems my hair is getting softer by the day. I know have a sulfate free shampoo that I do not use nearly as much. Since then Ive changed my routine to add as much moisture as possible. Im now focused on retaining moisture instead of growth (for now LOL) Thanks for the much needed encouragement.

Free&Curly

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyChick 16th May 2010, 4:30 pm

Hello MahonyCurls!

I love your youtube videos!!! In a recent video your hair is twisted, but your twist are pinned up somehow. I was wondering how you did that? It looked so nice and neat. I was thinking it would be good to have my hair off my neck for a change with this humidity in GA it also looked like it would be great for vacation and the beach. I do not wear my twist out of the house because my hair is fine and its too scalp-y for me but I think I maybe able to pull it off pinned up. Did you use a particular pattern for laying out your twist and how many? Thanks much and I hope your move wasn't too stressful Smile

CC
CurlyChick
CurlyChick

http://www.chichichick.artfire.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CSI 26th May 2010, 6:15 pm

Hi Mahoghany Curls, I love your hair, your videos and your personality Smile I have 6 months of natural hair now and I'm considering Henna. Do you use it? I'm waiting for my order to come in. Just curious if you've used it and/or like it. Thanks.

CSI

Back to top Go down

Post by Sebastain13 27th May 2010, 8:52 pm

Mahonghany Curls

I have watched many of ur videos on You Tube & they r WONDERFUL!!!!! & so r u

I did the BC bcause of damage to my hair & Im loving it NO MORE SALONS YEAH I had done tha BC b4 but at that time their were no products for nat hair so I ended up going bac to my relaxer

I hav jus BC 5/2010 & hav a TWA I have been experiencing some dryness I hav a few natural products that I use coconut oil, jojoba, shea butter, tea tree, & some Giovanni 50/50 conditioner I hav been using cream of nature shampoo

Of the products that I have I made a concoction of the conditioner, tea tree, honey, olive oil, jojoba I use it as a cowash I do that bcause of the conditioner that I put n it Also I cowash every 2-3 days & wash 1x wkly After cowashing I made another concoction of shea butter, jojoba, tea tree, olive oil, honey, and water While my hair is damp I apply this 2 it It looks good when wet but after that to me it looks dry

I also tie my hair nightly w/a silk scarf but I feel like I'm doing something wrong

I don't hav enough hair yet to do any twisting to it yet so I guess I need help wit a routine Could u recommend a good leave in & deep condtioner I also want to use some henna to c if that will help

I am jus confused & don't want 2 b a PJ Plse help [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Sebastain13
Sebastain13

http://<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/">

Back to top Go down

Post by MahoganyCurls 25th June 2010, 10:57 am

darkbeautytt wrote:hey thanks for your reply and kind words. how is the baby, probably all grown up now. i will defintely follow your advice and watch more vid on utube so thanks for your support.

You are welcome! He is good, a busy body!!! So sorry about just responding, I have been catching up with family and friends!
darkbeautytt wrote:also i will keep u posted on how it goes and make new vid on youtube also for other naturals out there. thanks

Please do! As soon as I get a chance, I check out your videos!!! Thank you!
MahoganyCurls
MahoganyCurls

Back to top Go down

Post by MahoganyCurls 25th June 2010, 10:58 am

Free&Curly wrote:
MahoganyCurls wrote:

Congrats on your bc!

Thanks!!! I was beginning to think it was just me. It seems my hair is getting softer by the day. I know have a sulfate free shampoo that I do not use nearly as much. Since then Ive changed my routine to add as much moisture as possible. Im now focused on retaining moisture instead of growth (for now LOL) Thanks for the much needed encouragement.

You are welcome!!!!!! Good luck!
MahoganyCurls
MahoganyCurls

Back to top Go down

Post by MahoganyCurls 25th June 2010, 11:02 am

CurlyChick wrote:Hello MahonyCurls!

I love your youtube videos!!! In a recent video your hair is twisted, but your twist are pinned up somehow. I was wondering how you did that? It looked so nice and neat. I was thinking it would be good to have my hair off my neck for a change with this humidity in GA it also looked like it would be great for vacation and the beach. I do not wear my twist out of the house because my hair is fine and its too scalp-y for me but I think I maybe able to pull it off pinned up. Did you use a particular pattern for laying out your twist and how many? Thanks much and I hope your move wasn't too stressful Smile

CC

Hi CurlyChick!

First, I would like to apologize for my late response. I have been so busy with family and friends...so sorry. I know what you mean about the "scalpy" twists! That is why I do not wear mine as is anymore either. I basically just twisted my and pinned it up with bobby pins. It wasn't in a particular order, I just pinned them up. I will definitely do a video on this in the future. I get a lot of questions about that look! Lol!! I didnt even use a particular pattern, just started twisting and that is it! Thank you so much! The move wasn't too stressful! I have one more move (in August) and we will finally get settled!
MahoganyCurls
MahoganyCurls

Back to top Go down

Post by MahoganyCurls 25th June 2010, 11:06 am

CurlyGigi wrote:Hi Mahoghany Curls, I love your hair, your videos and your personality Smile I have 6 months of natural hair now and I'm considering Henna. Do you use it? I'm waiting for my order to come in. Just curious if you've used it and/or like it. Thanks.

Hi CurlyGigi!

Thank You so much! No, I do not use henna (I would like to try it in the future) but I havent yet. I have used cassia! It is similar to henna, and had great results. I only used it twice though. Sorry about just replying! Let me know how it worked for you! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
MahoganyCurls
MahoganyCurls

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next