CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ask Autumn of CurlyChronicles!

+22
Nikcoils
BrownSkinDiva
GodsCreations
poeticlyspkng
sunkissed2
Bree125
kbelle
CocoPalma
xoxoKev31
naturalkc
savvybrown
curlyq145
AfrikanLatina
TerraD
BajanPrincess82
sweetdrk1
NubieNatty
Lynnieluve
MahoganyCurls
Curlychronicles
loveself247
*CurlyNikki*
26 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Ask Autumn of CurlyChronicles! - Page 3 Empty Re: Ask Autumn of CurlyChronicles!

Post by Curlychronicles 8th April 2010, 2:02 pm

Omg, npmoore and savvy, your hair looks amazing! I'm glad the quick drying method works well for ya savvy, when I stumbled upon that I was like wow..so simple but so effective lol Smile and that's exactly what I said to myself when I noticed I could have a really cool twist out on the morning after wash day..normally my hair would be poofy which is ok but if you want a twist out, you should be able to rock your twist out!
Curlychronicles
Curlychronicles

Back to top Go down

Ask Autumn of CurlyChronicles! - Page 3 Empty Re: Ask Autumn of CurlyChronicles!

Post by Curlychronicles 8th April 2010, 2:08 pm

BrownSkinDiva wrote:Hey Autumn I love your hair and your youtube videos, youre such a hair-spiration (lol, i tried to play off of hair and inspiration lol).....but your hair is gorgeous, and I just started using the giovanni so now Im gonna try it with the coconut oil...thanks for the advice!!!

Right now Im having issues with my twistouts so I have a question, which provide better curl definition for you, twistouts on dry hair or wet hair? Also, how did you achieve the look in your avatar pic? that is gorgeous!!

thanks so much Smile

Hey BrownSkinDiva, sorry for the delay, I think I scrolled past your post by accident!

Thank you so much for the kind compliments! I appreciate it!

I get more curl definition when my hair is slightly damp..if it's too wet it doesn't dry fully and it gets frizzy. If it's completely dry, even when I add in a little product, it doesn't get as defined as it can. So I'd say mist your hair and apply product before starting the twists. In my avatar photo, I blow dried my hair, then I applied Giovanni Direct Leave In and coconut oil before doing the flat tiwsted it (did about 6 total). I don't mist my hair when I wash it because it's pretty moisturized already. The next night I mist and apply a little Giovanni and coconut oil and retwist.

Hope this helps!

Smile

~Curlychronicles
Curlychronicles
Curlychronicles

Back to top Go down

Post by Tahlove 25th April 2010, 12:11 pm

First of all Miss Autumn your hair is MAJOR! I love it and hope that my hair gets to looking just as fab soon (I'm 5 months preggers so the crazy hormones should help me get growin' LOL). Anywho, after watching your vids I'm thinking that my hair type is much like yours...the back is very thick n curly and the front is much thinner and more wavy. I've decided to try your "extravagant big hair" technique (although I will probably set the ends on rods as the front has little to no curl) but I am not sure how I should maintain it. Do you re-twist nightly and re-apply product in the a.m? How long does this style typically last with proper care? Oh, also in your vid you said you combined conditioner with your EVCO. Was this leave in conditioner or just a regular conditioner. Thanks!
Tahlove
Tahlove

Back to top Go down

Post by Tahlove 25th April 2010, 11:38 pm

Okay so I made an attempt...and failed. I could not for the life of me get the whole flat twist thing down so I ended up doing regular two strand twists and putting rods on the ends. I have also learned that my hair does not twist well when blow dried...womp [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] . It is entirely too straight. We shall see how crazy I look in the morning.
Tahlove
Tahlove

Back to top Go down

Post by Curlychronicles 29th April 2010, 12:40 pm

Tahlove wrote:First of all Miss Autumn your hair is MAJOR! I love it and hope that my hair gets to looking just as fab soon (I'm 5 months preggers so the crazy hormones should help me get growin' LOL). Anywho, after watching your vids I'm thinking that my hair type is much like yours...the back is very thick n curly and the front is much thinner and more wavy. I've decided to try your "extravagant big hair" technique (although I will probably set the ends on rods as the front has little to no curl) but I am not sure how I should maintain it. Do you re-twist nightly and re-apply product in the a.m? How long does this style typically last with proper care? Oh, also in your vid you said you combined conditioner with your EVCO. Was this leave in conditioner or just a regular conditioner. Thanks!

Okay so I made an attempt...and failed. I could not for the life of me
get the whole flat twist thing down so I ended up doing regular two
strand twists and putting rods on the ends. I have also learned that my
hair does not twist well when blow dried...womp [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] . It is entirely too straight. We shall see how crazy I look in the morning.

Hey Tahlove!

Thank you Smile That's so nice of ya, my hair says thank you too!

I normally retwist my hair at night for the days that I'm wearing it in the big extravagant style. It preserves the style and it looks better normally on day 2. I can retwist for about 4 days and at that point, it's probably best to wash.

So ya gave it a shot and it didn't turn out at you expected. That does happen, my first one was really poofy and it puffed up and looked like I didn't even put in the effort the time time I tried this. Sometimes it take a bit of practice with the flat twists, I couldn't do them until a few years back. They've definitely gotten better over time but they're still kinda fugly to me lol I couldn't rock em as flat twists..way too messy but they just have to be somewhat secured and the right products have to be used to help with the hold of the curls. What type of products did you use? I go for leave in conditioner and a hair oil, preferably coconut. You can also try using a oil in the morning while separating. I separate each pieces of hair into 2 pieces, never more than that because it may create some frizz. For the front straight pieces that are too straight when you blow dry, I would say skip drying that part and just do the twists there, it'll probably hold better if it's wavy as opposed to trying to get it to curl after it's straight.

Hope this helps ya out, let me know how your next round goes and don't give up! Smile
Curlychronicles
Curlychronicles

Back to top Go down

Post by dstdva 28th June 2010, 11:05 pm

Hi Autumn!!! Do you color your hair at all? Henna? I'm wondering if it's even worth it for me! Just considering letting my hair be.....thoughts??
dstdva
dstdva

Back to top Go down

Post by Curlychronicles 29th June 2010, 4:04 pm

Hey Dstdva!

I have never ever henna'ed ...henna'd? you get me!

I've never done it before and it's due in part to my own laziness to go buy the henna (I don't think I'd wanna wait for it in the mail lol) and actually sit down and do it. So far, my best resource has been Curly Nikki for this! She has great articles on her process. Also, I think I may be a littttttttle scared to try it out though I don't exactly know why I would be scared..too many past horror stories and botched hair experiments perhaps?

Some naturals have said it's not really worth it and others rave about it's pro's. I do like the stronger hair part and possibly a tinge of color but I figure until I feel super stoked about it, I'll hold tight! Very Happy I've been itching to do something fun with my hair so who knows what that'll entail!

~Curlychronicles
Curlychronicles
Curlychronicles

Back to top Go down

Post by dstdva 29th June 2010, 4:14 pm

Thank you for responding!
dstdva
dstdva

Back to top Go down

Post by Beautifulyfe 18th July 2010, 3:14 am

How did you achieve your Fab Friday hair ( I hope thats what it's called I just went blank lol)
Beautifulyfe
Beautifulyfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Beautifulyfe 18th July 2010, 3:14 am

I look bad for that lol it just came to me its Show n Tell Fridays lmao
Beautifulyfe
Beautifulyfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Curlychronicles 18th July 2010, 7:09 pm

Beautifulyfe wrote:I look bad for that lol it just came to me its Show n Tell Fridays lmao

Hey Beautifulyfe!

I actually put in two strand twists and used foam rollers. I was bored and lookin around for something fun to do with my hair so I tried it out and it came out nice! I used my trusted Giovanni and grapeseed oil to seal in moisture. Smile It's like a twist n curl kinda..which I'm soooo late on lol
Curlychronicles
Curlychronicles

Back to top Go down

Post by missmjcarter 21st August 2010, 12:17 am

Hey autumn I need to do a easy twist out with one hand. Also I had my b/c in April of this year after transitioning with. Braids for 18 months. How long does it take for my hair to grow so I can sport a twist out?
missmjcarter
missmjcarter

Back to top Go down

Post by Curlychronicles 30th August 2010, 6:20 pm

Hi missmjcarter

Sorry for the delay, I've been a busy gal lately, I haven't even gotten to post a video!

I dunno if it's possible to do a twist out with one hand, it might be best to grab your bestest friend to help if you're not able to utilize one of your fro grabbers. Everyone's hair grows at different rates so it's a bit difficult to determine how long it'll take your hair to grow to a certain length. It tends to depend on how you treat it and how your wear it the majority of the time. To maximize growth, I would keep those ends moisturized and protected. It's not so fun to wear short twists sometimes but it does do wonders for your hair Smile If you decide to go for something like twists or braids I'd suggest kinky twists rather than braids because they tend to be less harsh on the hair (twists) at least in my experience.

I hope this helps!

Hang in there, your first year will breeze on by before you know it and you'll look up suddenly and realize how much growth you've gotten Smile
Curlychronicles
Curlychronicles

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3