CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

California

+10
Nikcoils
Ni'Cole
Rock'n Natural Curls
curlykinkynfrizzy
blkberrimolasses
Gado-Gado Gal
kinksncurls
vivacious00
Naturally Esq
*CurlyNikki*
14 posters

Go down

California Empty California

Post by *CurlyNikki* 11th June 2010, 1:53 pm

Share your experience with a natural or curly salon by providing the following:

-Name of Salon and location (city, and contact)
-Name of stylist
-Experience (the good and the bad)
-If you'd recommend to a friend
*CurlyNikki*
*CurlyNikki*
Admin

http://www.curlynikki.com

Back to top Go down

California Empty Re: California

Post by Naturally Esq 23rd June 2010, 8:40 pm

Name of Salon and location
Ujima Hair Works
4125 Piedmont Ave
(between 41st St & Linda Ave)
Oakland, CA 94611
Neighborhoods: North Oakland, Piedmont Ave
(510) 510-967-9247

Name of Stylist
Denise Brown

Experience

Denise Brown is SIMPLY THE BEST
Denise Brown has been my hairdresser for over ten years and I give her my highest recommendation. During most of that time my hair was relaxed My hair texture is fine and Denise expertly straightened and styled my hair.

Last year, 9/09,I decided to transition to natural hair. Denise has continued to provide me with excellent service, styling and support, as I transition. I can not tell you how happy I am that Denise is so talented and versatile.

Today, she shampooed, deep conditioned, trimmed and flat twisted my hair. My hair is gorgeous ( I will post pictures as soon as I learn now) and her prices are reasonable.

Yes, I recommend her to a friend

Last edited by Naturally Esq on 23rd September 2010, 6:01 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : change cell phone number)
Naturally Esq
Naturally Esq

Back to top Go down

Post by vivacious00 9th August 2010, 1:25 am

Thanks for posting this info!
vivacious00
vivacious00

Back to top Go down

Post by kinksncurls 6th September 2010, 12:17 am

Does anyone know of a good hair salon is the los angeles, fullerton area?
kinksncurls
kinksncurls

Back to top Go down

Post by Gado-Gado Gal 6th September 2010, 1:55 am

Name of Salon and Location
Hairplay
1599 Dolores Street
San Francisco, CA 94110
(Noe Valley/Bernal Heights area)
415-550-1656
http://hairplay.com/

Name of Stylist
Denise, or Fritz (the owner, tho hard to get an appointment)

Experience
I was a stretcher with my texturizer for about 10 years at Hairplay. I went about every 6-12 months because it was better for the environment and better for my health. I always saw Denise (I say saw since I no longer live in San Francisco *sigh*). Denise gets to know *your* hair. She keeps a note card of all your preferences (how you usually wear it, what style she did for you last) and a hair profile on how it responds to chemicals, color, etc., and she doesn't bug you if you want to stick to your 'do'. I usually had a texturizer done with an air-dry style, and a trim if needed. That was it. Other stylists used to berate me for this (especially for stretching for so long), but Denise respected my style and my preferences. Early on when she learned I preferred wash-n-go styling and never used heat myself, she suggested flat twists instead of flat ironing and blow-outs. I fell in love and to this day look at my own flat twists in shame knowing how beautifully she did them. Although I haven't seen her since I started to transition, I have absolutely no doubt she'd be supportive.

I've seen reviews in other places about the long wait; many of the stylists at Hairplay do juggle many clients at one time. But, I think if you're there for just a trim, deep conditioning and style, then you can count on 2 or so hours (longer if you're getting a cut rather than a trim). It was more when I was texturizing, but I did it so infrequently and got such high quality styling (NEVER burned, ever) that I always just blocked out 4 hours and brought a book. Once you see how long it takes her, then you can let her know ahead of time if you're on a tight schedule. Otherwise, just relax, read, and enjoy. Plus, the people watching in there is fantastic! Smile

Also, Denise is not the talkative type of stylist. Once you've become a regular she'll ask questions and answer yours, but she also doesn't care if you just sit there and read. I loved that. Some people want their therapy/gossip session with their hair pampering. If you want that, then try to book an appointment with Fritz (the salon owner). Otherwise, if you just want really solid, competent hair-dressing, then see Denise.

Recommended?
I would absolutely recommend Hairplay and Denise. The salon caters to curly hair (all kinds), but literally style every kind of hair in every kind of way. Michael Franti of Spearhead had his locks styled there, but you'll also see hipsters with tattoos and hairdos to match, alongside the society ladies for their weekly Saturday press and curl before church. The beauty and diversity of San Francisco is all here in this salon.
Gado-Gado Gal
Gado-Gado Gal

Back to top Go down

Post by blkberrimolasses 6th September 2010, 6:28 am

I'm co-signing Ujima in Oakland. I am also transitioning, and Trenell @ Ujima has been wonderful. Only mistake is that I didn't go sooner.
blkberrimolasses
blkberrimolasses

Back to top Go down

California Empty any great San Diego salons?

Post by curlykinkynfrizzy 12th September 2010, 10:24 pm

Does anyone know of any salons in San Diego, nothing too far up north. I'm in the south bay (Chula Vista area). There seems to be a lack of natural salons (or stylists familiar with natural hair) around here, as far as I know.
curlykinkynfrizzy
curlykinkynfrizzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturally Esq 23rd September 2010, 6:03 pm

Denise Brown did my BC at:
Ujima Hair Works
4125 Piedmont Ave
(between 41st St & Linda Ave)
Oakland, CA 94611
Neighborhoods: North Oakland, Piedmont Ave
(510) 510-967-9247

California Going_14

Last edited by Naturally Esq on 23rd September 2010, 6:05 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : insert picture)
Naturally Esq
Naturally Esq

Back to top Go down

Post by blkberrimolasses 23rd September 2010, 7:24 pm

Congrats, Naturally!! Let me find out we are kindred spirits... two brown, transitioning (well, not you anymore Wink ) bay area attorneys who frequent Ujima. Smile
blkberrimolasses
blkberrimolasses

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturally Esq 23rd September 2010, 8:45 pm

blkberrimolasses wrote:Congrats, Naturally!! Let me find out we are kindred spirits... two brown, transitioning (well, not you anymore Wink ) bay area attorneys who frequent Ujima. Smile

Thanks. It is a great place with excellent stylists.
Naturally Esq
Naturally Esq

Back to top Go down

Post by Rock'n Natural Curls 6th October 2010, 10:58 pm

It would be wrong of me not to mention myself : dance
Bridgit @
DJ's Hair Salon
1155 Chestnut St.
Menlo Park, CA 94025
650-826-4429
www.bridgitshairboutique.com
I Take the Time to Take Care of You, One Client @ a Time! afro
Rock'n Natural Curls
Rock'n Natural Curls

http://www.bridgitshairboutique.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ni'Cole 19th December 2010, 6:10 am

I used to drive past Oh My Nappy Hair in LA on LaBrea right at Wilshire all the time when I was relaxed, does anyone know if it's still open or anything about it?
Ni'Cole
Ni'Cole

https://www.youtube.com/user/SigAlphAce?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Post by Nikcoils 14th January 2011, 3:41 pm

My stylist name is Richard is the BOMB! Has worked with all types of kinks and curls and loves what he does. It right off the 110 at the end of the freeway in downtown pasadena.

Salon Sessions
112 South De Lacey Avenue
Pasadena, California 91105
Phone
626 795 8856
contact@salonsessions.com
Nikcoils
Nikcoils

Back to top Go down

Post by Annie L 26th January 2011, 5:43 am

Nyota Starr Koya in Oakland!

http://www.hairtodayhairtomorrow1991.com/nyota_koya.html

She saved my life when I was living in SF. I got tired of cabbing it to Berkeley for blow outs at a lovely natural hair salon. I downgraded to a traditional Black salon across the street from Walden House and paid the price. The stylist w/o my permission, gave me a texturizer posing as deep condish (what I get for cutting corners) and my mid-back curly hair very quickly fell out. i was getting weekly press n go's so didn't notice my hair not reverting back to curly though I wondered why my hair was so damned straight and movable! I had no idea until I lost so much hair that mixing relaxer and conditioner was even done at some traditional (low-end) salons w/o a client's consent!

Desperate, I saw Nyota in Oakland who BC'd me and dyed me a lovely red. I got cute comb coils for the first time (this was 2007) and loved her vegan philosophy. She makes wigs for cancer patients and is all about natural hair. I just checked her site and unfortunately it does nothing to rep her expertise and styling talent. She grew up in SF and was so kind and easy-going and honest. I'd definitely recommend her. Funny thing is I had an appt w/her that I canceled even before I began at the Berkeley salon : /

Annie L

Back to top Go down

Post by aliyakeys 11th February 2011, 2:49 am

Does anybody live in or near the Sacramento area that knows a good natural hair salon?
aliyakeys
aliyakeys

https://www.youtube.com/user/ikimonogakari2?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Post by FrankliDanni 11th February 2011, 5:13 am

Ni'Cole wrote:I used to drive past Oh My Nappy Hair in LA on LaBrea right at Wilshire all the time when I was relaxed, does anyone know if it's still open or anything about it?

Just went to their site. Apparently their LA location is closed right now. They're looking for a new owner Sad
FrankliDanni
FrankliDanni

http://1imall.com

Back to top Go down

Post by lanay 11th February 2011, 2:55 pm

aliyakeys wrote:Does anybody live in or near the Sacramento area that knows a good natural hair salon?

I need some place to go to in the Sacramento area too
lanay
lanay

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum