CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LanaMarie - The story of my transition

+5
jamaicacurl
Corygentri
ChrsLvsBks
Pi*Jay
Lanamarie
9 posters

Go down

LanaMarie - The story of my transition Empty LanaMarie - The story of my transition

Post by Lanamarie 12th November 2009, 7:40 pm

So here we go again...So I'm a newbie to the site. It's been incredibly motivating and inspirational to see all these beautiful natural textures and styles and I can't wait until I BC and see what my own texture is like. I've been transitioning for 6 months and I have to say that this is by far the hardest month yet. My relaxed hair becomes so tangled that sometimes I don't bother to even comb it out. I just twist and go. LOL. So up until this point I've been using Creme of Nature shampoo in the green bottle (the old formula) and condition with a new conditioner every week because nothing works for me. After finding this site, I ordered the Devacare One conditioner and the Jessicurl weekly deep treatment. I hope when I get home today it has been delivered and I'll see how good it works (or doesn't). As far as styles, I usually twist my hair which will last a few days then I will pull it back in a bun to finish out the week. The bun has been a staple in my transition. I can honestly say I wore a bun for 5 weeks straight. I was planning to transition for a year but I doubt I'll last. My relaxed hair has become so unmanageable while my natural hair is so super soft and curly. I hate dealing with the two textures. Well here are some pics of my transitioning styles. The last two is how I'm wearing my hair today...always pulled back.

LanaMarie - The story of my transition Twist_19
LanaMarie - The story of my transition Twist_20
LanaMarie - The story of my transition Twist_21
LanaMarie - The story of my transition Twist_22
LanaMarie - The story of my transition Bun10
LanaMarie - The story of my transition Bun_212
Lanamarie
Lanamarie

Back to top Go down

LanaMarie - The story of my transition Empty Re: LanaMarie - The story of my transition

Post by Pi*Jay 12th November 2009, 7:46 pm

Happy Transitioning! LanaMarie - The story of my transition Icon_rr
Pi*Jay
Pi*Jay

Back to top Go down

LanaMarie - The story of my transition Empty Hi

Post by ChrsLvsBks 12th November 2009, 10:26 pm

I wore a green top today also. I like the twist in front of the bun in one of the pictures. You can definitely do things to jazz up buns--high, low, side and accessories.

Enjoy the transition, ups and downs. My hat goes off to you for taking that step.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

LanaMarie - The story of my transition Empty Re: LanaMarie - The story of my transition

Post by Corygentri 13th November 2009, 12:00 am

I think that bun looks really good on you! You are making it work but I feel your pain!! I transitioned for about 8 months (I didn't know that was what I was doing until I found this site!LOL) and BC'd in june. You can probably try a roller wet set once a week if you are looking for a change - that was my staple winter transitioning style. It's ok if you don't last - You will love being able to run your fingers through your natural hair. I haven't been able to keep my hands out of mine!
Corygentri
Corygentri

Back to top Go down

Post by Lanamarie 13th November 2009, 2:04 pm

Thanks for all the support ladies!!! So last night I was hoping that my Devacare One would have arrived but it didn't so I headed to riteaid and bought some Herbal Essence Hello Hydration. OMG...I think this conditioner is what will make me see my transition through a little longer!!! I'm telling yall, everytime I wash my hair I become so frustrated with the tangles that I consider just cutting it right there and then. But this conditioner really melted away all the tangles. For the first time in 2 months I was actually able to detangle before I twisted my hair!!! I'm happy today. Thank you Curly Nikki!!!! I hope that the Devacare and the Jessicurl work as well. I've tried the Aubrey Honey suckle and that tangled my hair something serious. I've been using Trader Joe's Nourish Spa for my co-washes and I can now say, it's been officially replaced!!! Here's how I'm wearing my hair today. I twisted last night, but it didn't dry fully so I pulled it back in a clip. My hair is too thick to dry over night (esp when I wash at 11pm).
LanaMarie - The story of my transition Twist_23
LanaMarie - The story of my transition Twist_24
Lanamarie
Lanamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by jamaicacurl 13th November 2009, 2:16 pm

That bun is really nice! I also like your hair all out. Very pretty. Great curl potential Smile
jamaicacurl
jamaicacurl

http://www.MishMashbyMarsha.artfire.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SheeTacular 13th November 2009, 7:00 pm

Hair is cute!! Good luck with the transition!!
SheeTacular
SheeTacular

http://www.ThoughtsInspirationsEtc.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lanamarie 16th November 2009, 7:00 pm

So today my hair is yet in another bun. Nothing special so I won't post a picture of it. This morning my BF asked me if I was really serious about this "natural thing" and if I plan to perm my hair for my reunion next week. I felt sort of offended but I'm realizing that people generally don't like change initially, but they will get accustomed to it. I plan to do a co-wash tonight and twist my hair so maybe tomorrow I'll have some cute pictures. I must say that it's been 4 days since I co-washed with Herbal Essence Hello Hydration and my hair is still really soft, especially the roots. Til' manana....
Lanamarie
Lanamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by A85 17th November 2009, 1:27 pm

The transitioning stage can be a lil daunting but no worries there are lots and lots of styles u can try...esp braid/twist outs even flat twist outs and I'm sure ur hair will look super cute for ur reunion!! LanaMarie - The story of my transition Icon_biggrin
A85
A85

Back to top Go down

Post by A85 17th November 2009, 1:28 pm

Also have u tried washing ur hair in braids or twists?...helps reduce tangles
A85
A85

Back to top Go down

Post by Lanamarie 17th November 2009, 3:07 pm

A85...I tried to keep my hair braided while washing but the problem is that the perm ends unravel and i end up spending more trying to keep the hair braided than actually washing. The Herbal Essence seems to be working so I'm happy for right now. Tonight I'm going to do a co-wash and see what styles I can play around with. Thanks so much for the support.
Lanamarie
Lanamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackbeauty 17th November 2009, 5:23 pm

I know at times it can be hard dealing with the 2 textures & also for me month 6 was things started getting complicated as well but you will get through it there are so many styling options. Happy Transitioning LanaMarie - The story of my transition Icon_biggrin !!!
Blackbeauty
Blackbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by Serenity23 18th November 2009, 1:00 pm

My hat goes off to you b/c I couldn't wait til month 6. I BC'd at month 5. When you are detangling, are you using your fingers? or a wide tooth comb or denman brush? I detangle with lots of conditioner in and a denman brush. Some people say it takes a lot of their hair out, but I don't notice that with mine.
Serenity23
Serenity23

http://public.fotki.com/Serenity23/  http://www.curlynikki.forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Lanamarie 18th November 2009, 3:53 pm

Serenity23...I detangle with my fingers then I try to detangle with a wide tooth comb. My problem is the relaxed hair more than the natural hair so I think I'm going to chop soon or do a mini chop and cut it up to my chin and get rid of most of the length.
Lanamarie
Lanamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by Pi*Jay 18th November 2009, 8:40 pm

Cant wait to see the pics when you do your mini-chop...
Pi*Jay
Pi*Jay

Back to top Go down

Post by Lanamarie 19th November 2009, 7:07 pm

So ladies...I'm really feeling like cutting my hair. I'm a little fearful of how it will look though. I've never had short hair in my life, furthermore short and natural hair so I'm a little worried, it will come out looking like a disaster. How did you ladies feel when you did the BC? Were you also worried about the results?
Lanamarie
Lanamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by Pi*Jay 19th November 2009, 10:03 pm

I have yet to BC, but I cut off about an inch and a half last nite. Which is about half of my hair... my hair was never extremely long in the first place. So now its really short... but I can get a little scissor happy at times so I'm comfortable with it. I'm anxious about seeing the results in the morning after syling but I'm not too worried about it. Its all about your comfort zone. I've seen people cry getting their hair cut so if you are not ready, dont do it... but if your truly think you can do it, just do it. Dont sit around pondering about it. It could be liberating. Transitioning can be a bit tedious at times so if you do decide to cut it- Thats the ultimate goal anyway so MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.
Pi*Jay
Pi*Jay

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down