CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CoilyLove

+8
KinkyNappyHappy
curlsunfurled
CurlsGalore
SheeTacular
TheRYL1
ktoliver5303
Juices-n-Berries
coilylove
12 posters

Go down

CoilyLove Empty CoilyLove

Post by coilylove 4th May 2010, 3:44 am

Hi Ladies!

My name is Shante and I have been so amazed at all the information I have learned here regarding hair care. It is nice to read everyone's posts and see that you guys have some of the same ups and downs I do and know that I'm not alone. CoilyLove Icon_surprised I'm kind of nervous about doing this so bear with me... CoilyLove Kopfschuettel

The only style I feel I have mastered somewhat is twists and twist-outs. That was a great accomplishment for me because until I decided to grow out my perm I had NEVER done my own hair. I had a perm at the age of 6 and went to the same shop for the last 21 years. I had thought about going natural in 2004, my last year of college, but my hairdresser always talked me out of it. Since I was so scared about my natural hair, I didn't follow through. I had my last relaxer in January of '09 and I wasn't thinking "this is it" it kind of happened.

Every week or two when I went to the shop I just told him I was getting a wash and set. In March of '09, I was 10 weeks post relaxer and informed them I no longer wanted a relaxer and would they aide me in this process. I'm sure you guys know what happened next. I won't go through the entire conversation but there was absolutely no support. This time I wouldn't be talked out of my decision. That was the last time I set foot in that shop. It was a hard decision because they are also like family but I couldn't continue to allow myself to be a negative atmosphere where they weren't okay with my decision and really think they were going to take good care of my hair. Truth of the matter is, they didn't know how to care for natural hair. Putting in a relaxer was how they fix "hair problems".

Now, I go to a natural stylist when I want something new or a trim. She ministers to your hair, body, and spirit. CoilyLove Icon_smile I love going there!

I cut off my relaxed ends in October '09. I tried to let her do it but that's not how that story was supposed to end. It was something I had to do on my own since I had been a slave to the perm for so many years. I felt so much better afterwards!

I do not know much about products and I don't like to order things online but I'm realizing that might be another first for me! I look forward to learning much more from you guys! Below are pics of my hair journey so far. The first pic is where it all began. I was about 10 or so weeks post relaxer.

Good night!

P.S. Please keep the people of Nashville and surrounding areas in your prayers. It is pretty bad here. My job is closed again today because of the flooding...

CoilyLove Growin11

CoilyLove Second11

CoilyLove Offici10

CoilyLove Me_and10

CoilyLove Twist_10

CoilyLove Img_0510

CoilyLove Me_and11
coilylove
coilylove

Back to top Go down

CoilyLove Empty Re: CoilyLove

Post by Juices-n-Berries 4th May 2010, 4:43 am

Welcome to Curl Street. Don't be nervous, we're all family here. CoilyLove Icon_biggrin

I can totally relate on the hair stylist. Growing up I didn't really do my own hair either. I knew how to wash and give a decent flat iron or put a few curls in, but nothing major. And then I started wearing weave. CoilyLove Affraid Not a good time period. Lol. So, when I first went natural, I did the only thing I knew how, I went to a stylist. I was going to a natural stylist who was great, but I didn't necessarily feel like my hair was in the best care. And I wanted to learn my own hair and it's needs. So, with the encouragement from the ladies on BnB/CSJ I started doing my own hair. I haven't been to my stylist in a long time now. I really gained confidence by sharing and learning from the ladies on this site. I hope you are inspired here as much as I am.

My new hair goal is to learn to flat twist and cornrow!
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by ktoliver5303 4th May 2010, 4:52 am

Well that is a great story. It sucks when beauticians are about keeping hair fried, died, and laid to the side and not about the health. That was a big step for you to make that decision and go against all the negativity that you received. your hair looks great. and

WELCOME TO CURL STREET!

Remember never be shy to ask anything because someone out here has gone through the SAME THING!
ktoliver5303
ktoliver5303

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRYL1 4th May 2010, 5:44 am

Welcome to Curl Street! I, too, am working on doing my own styles...you've come to the right place! These ladies have all kinds of wonderful styles to try!
TheRYL1
TheRYL1

Back to top Go down

Post by SheeTacular 4th May 2010, 9:52 am

Welcome!!
SheeTacular
SheeTacular

http://www.ThoughtsInspirationsEtc.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by coilylove 4th May 2010, 12:00 pm

Thanks for the welcome! CoilyLove Icon_flower

I have been trying to work on wash n gos since my big chop and have not been successful but last night I decided to try the accordion method. I saw many of the curlies suggested this method and had great results...

I have VERY tightly coiled hair and have been less than pleased with past results. Here is my wash n go puff....since my hair is still growing out rather than down...wearing it any other way doesn't look too hot CoilyLove Icon_rolleyes

Here are the results....

CoilyLove Img_0710

CoilyLove Img_0711

CoilyLove Img_0712
coilylove
coilylove

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlsGalore 4th May 2010, 12:09 pm

Welcome CoilyLove! Glad to have you and thanks for sharing your journey with us!
CurlsGalore
CurlsGalore

http://public.fotki.com/mahoganyface

Back to top Go down

Post by coilylove 5th May 2010, 11:28 pm

I recently had a weave put in to keep my hands out of my hair for awhile. It only lasted 5 weeks...I will NEVER do that again but I wanted to get my ends trimmed. I went to the shop and although she only cut half an inch...I feel like it was much more... *sigh* CoilyLove Icon_sad
coilylove
coilylove

Back to top Go down

Post by curlsunfurled 6th May 2010, 12:09 am

Hello and Welcome CoilyLove

I am a newbie to this post also. The people of Tennesee are in my prayers - I understand the effects flooding has on a person's life. Stay encouraged.
curlsunfurled
curlsunfurled

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkyNappyHappy 6th May 2010, 8:35 am

Welcome CoilyLove

I enjoyed reading your story. You will learn so much here (I know I have)

I love your puff. I wish I could position mine like that, but my top is not that long!!

Look forward to following your journey here!!

Have a great day

KNH
KinkyNappyHappy
KinkyNappyHappy

Back to top Go down

Post by BlakButterfli 6th May 2010, 9:00 am

Hey Coilylove. You and I seem to have similiar hair types, so I look forward to reading your posts!

I love your puff - I JUST did my first one and it was great. You'll find that EVERYONE on this site is supportive and loves to offer advice, suggestions and are just generally warm ladies. If you find a meet-up in your area, that's even better. I've become friends with several ladies at the Dallas meet-ups.

I will also keep you and your Nashville peeps in my prayers. I know you all weren't expecting all that came, so it's extra hard.

Much love, peace and natural hair grease as you continue on your journey.
BlakButterfli
BlakButterfli

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 6th May 2010, 11:23 am

Welcome to Curl Street. This is the best place to be
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by coilylove 19th May 2010, 8:34 pm

I'm about to try finger coils again. They turned out great the last time but I only used conditioner. I'm uneasy about venturing out and using gel but we shall see how this works. CoilyLove Icon_neutral

Wish me luck!
coilylove
coilylove

Back to top Go down

Post by priceless 19th May 2010, 9:06 pm

Hey welcome to curlstreet. The first style I learned by myself was finger coils and I loved them. I did not even know what they were called. lol your puff is cute when my hair was at your length I didn't push my band back that far because it gave the illusion that I had a little more hair. lol I hope to get to that length soon had to cut hair due to heat damage.
priceless
priceless

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 19th May 2010, 11:30 pm

I know I am late but Welcome to the Curl street Journal!!!

You are in the right place....and dont be scurred! CoilyLove Icon_lol Feel free to ask questions, vent, talk about everyday life....whatever you feel like sharing.

Good luck on your coils.....if you want them to have staying power, then I would suggest using a gel....not a lot though...just a finger tip amount for each coil.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by coilylove 20th May 2010, 9:10 am

KinkyNappyHappy wrote:Welcome CoilyLove

I enjoyed reading your story. You will learn so much here (I know I have)

I love your puff. I wish I could position mine like that, but my top is not that long!!

Look forward to following your journey here!!

Have a great day

KNH

Thanks!
coilylove
coilylove

Back to top Go down

Post by coilylove 20th May 2010, 9:13 am

BlakButterfli wrote:Hey Coilylove. You and I seem to have similiar hair types, so I look forward to reading your posts!

I love your puff - I JUST did my first one and it was great. You'll find that EVERYONE on this site is supportive and loves to offer advice, suggestions and are just generally warm ladies. If you find a meet-up in your area, that's even better. I've become friends with several ladies at the Dallas meet-ups.

I will also keep you and your Nashville peeps in my prayers. I know you all weren't expecting all that came, so it's extra hard.

Much love, peace and natural hair grease as you continue on your journey.

Thanks! I'm so unsure if ny hair type. When I got a trim a few weeks ago and she was like "I dunno" lol

So, I've pretty much given up trying to tell what type I have. I love the style in your avi. I'm trying to get more creative.
coilylove
coilylove

Back to top Go down

Post by coilylove 20th May 2010, 9:27 am

Thanks Lynnie....I ended up putting my twists back in. I was on the twist challenge forum and figured I'd try to wear my twists to work. I'm going to feel uneasy ALL day! But, I'm going to do it.

Trying to decide how to put it up. I broke my favorite pair of hoops! When I put those on it didn't matter what Free was doing that day but I'm kind of lost without them! lol!
coilylove
coilylove

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 20th May 2010, 10:01 am

I'm sure you look great.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content