CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

xxShaunyxx

+14
ChrsLvsBks
HAMPTONSFNST
MsJay1121
CocaColaCutie
Lynnieluve
SheeTacular
Intelligentbeauty
curly+kinky+fierce
Juices-n-Berries
BlondeByDesire
sweetdrk1
KinkyNappyHappy
bholmes87
Shauny
18 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

xxShaunyxx Empty xxShaunyxx

Post by Shauny 15th February 2010, 5:41 pm

I had longer hair with 11 months of natural growth and was going to transition to natural but Saturday morning I woke up and cut all of the perm out of my hair. I don't really know how I feel about it yet. I don't hate it but I don't love it either. I have to product search to find out what will work with my all matural hair now and my hair is SUPER dry...it was like matted to my head when I woke up Sunday morning so that was a real bummer. Any suggestions for moisture would really be appreciated.

This is what I was doing while transitioning

1. Co washing with VO5/Suave moisterizing condish
2. DC with Carols Daughter Black Vanilla Smoothie
3. Aussie Moist Leave in Condish
4. Coconut oil
5. Cantu Shea Butter leave in

If I shampoo I do a pre poo of condish and 3tblsn of EVOO which makes my hair REALLY soft. I shampoo with Organix Coconut Milk shampoo and condish.

Last edited by Shauny on 21st February 2010, 10:50 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : subject name change)
Shauny
Shauny

Back to top Go down

xxShaunyxx Empty Re: xxShaunyxx

Post by bholmes87 15th February 2010, 5:43 pm

Well first of all congrats on doing your BC!! And welcome to the challenge Smile

It sounds like your transitioning regimen would be pretty effective on your natural hair as well. I use extra virgin olive oil instead of coconut oil (I'm not sure why but I always have some so that's what I use. lol)

With 11 months of growth you should have a nice amount of hair!!! I'm sure we'd all love to see pics of your hair ♥
bholmes87
bholmes87

http://fotki.com/bholmes87

Back to top Go down

Post by Shauny 15th February 2010, 6:24 pm

Thank you. I actually tried to add a photo but was having issues. I tried the host an image and image tabs but they both didn't work. I have a couple of photos that I did after I tried my first wash and go puff after BCing. I'll figure it out eventually
Shauny
Shauny

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkyNappyHappy 15th February 2010, 6:36 pm

Shauny wrote:Thank you. I actually tried to add a photo but was having issues. I tried the host an image and image tabs but they both didn't work. I have a couple of photos that I did after I tried my first wash and go puff after BCing. I'll figure it out eventually

Check the posting on how to post a picture....it helped me a lot.

Also, congratulations on your big chop woot! I b/c'ed and I wasn't prepared. One thing I learned real fast is my hair needed moisture. Try different leave-in conditioners, but from what I've read you are using some pretty good conditioners. It's trial and error, but this is a very interesting stage..and have patience you will get through it.

There is a forum here where you can ask some of the veteran curlies questions...that might be a good place to start. Sorry I don't have more suggestions, but I'm still a newbie and I would hate to tell you the wrong thing.
KinkyNappyHappy
KinkyNappyHappy

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 15th February 2010, 7:48 pm

Welcome to the Challenge..I am looking forward to pics!! Congrats on your BC, you have to have a ton of hair if you transitioned for 11 months. Pics please. I wanna see!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by Shauny 15th February 2010, 8:32 pm

As soon as I get a chance to find the how to post a pic post I'll put it up. The pic in my profile is from about 3 weeks ago. It was my first try at a blowout and it came out really thick and shiny. I guess that's why I may have a bit of regret now.

It's actually about the length of yours sweetdrk1. Is that a coil out you have...your hair is really cute. I hope I can figure out how to do the different styles otherwise I'll be getting braids until I get more length
Shauny
Shauny

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 15th February 2010, 8:41 pm

Hi no that was a rod set with the flexirods. I have my hair in coils right now..check my hair journal
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

Back to top Go down

Post by BlondeByDesire 16th February 2010, 11:58 am

Congratulations on your BC. Seems like it's that time of year.
BlondeByDesire
BlondeByDesire

Back to top Go down

Post by Shauny 16th February 2010, 1:32 pm

Thanks BlondeByDesire I see you're going to the BC too. Congrats!

@sweetdrk1 I see that you won the challenge this week. CONGRATULATIONS!! I would love to know how to do those flexirods, I'm going to have to look into those. Yours are NICE!

I tried a 2 strand twist last night. I think I'm still in shock about the length (my twists doesn't even reach my ears). I also see TONS of scalp which means that I'm going to have to figure out a better way of doing them so all my scalp isn't showing. I'm going to try to leave them in for 3 to 4 days and wear a twist out for the weekend.

Should I be doing anything instead of just resetting with leave in at night to my twist? What are some of the things you guys do to keep shorter 2 strand twists looking fresh?
Shauny
Shauny

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 16th February 2010, 1:46 pm

Hello there and welcome to the challenge!

For twists, I've been told that it's good to moisturize them. I'm not sure which leave in you're using and if it's moisturized enough. My last few sets of twists, I would moisturize daily with Afroveda's Cocolatte Moisture Masl. This go round, I've decided to continue that, but also seal with my mixture of EVOO and Coconut Oil. I'm doing this because I noticed that it can be a bit frizzy when I do the twist out and I think the oil will help. Also, you may want to check and see if your leave in is water based. Water based products can cause shrinkage and frizz, so beware if those are any concerns of yours.

Anyway, I'm rambling, and I'm not a vet, but I'm learning from the great ladies on this thread. I'm sure they will have more advice for you to come. Welcome and can't wait to see the pics!
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by curly+kinky+fierce 17th February 2010, 2:48 pm

congrats..and welcome to the journey xxShaunyxx Icon_biggrin
curly+kinky+fierce
curly+kinky+fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 17th February 2010, 3:06 pm

Congrats xxShaunyxx Icon_cheers
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by bholmes87 17th February 2010, 4:13 pm

Yeah you should definitely keep your twists moisturized!! Oil is what will keep them from getting fuzzy though I totally agree with JNB. I don't do anything to keep mine looking fresh because I don't mind them being fuzzy ... lol but the last time I co-washed my twists after wearing them for about a week and that helped as well!! More than likely you'll just have to experiment to find out what works for you Smile
bholmes87
bholmes87

http://fotki.com/bholmes87

Back to top Go down

Post by Shauny 17th February 2010, 5:30 pm

Thanks for the suggestions guys. For my twists, after I cowashed I moisterized and sealed with Aussie Moist Hair Insurance (water based), coconut oil, and Cantu Shea Butter leave in (ordered real shea butter from Butters-N-Bars on Monday). Because I know my hair seems to eat product, I also used Carol Daughters Loc Butter to actually do the twist. Today they kind of looks dry but when I touch them my hands are oily so I'm unsure.

@juices for your EVOO/Coconut oil mix, do you have it in a bottle mixed together or do you just use them seperately? I have them both so I think I'm going to try that mix.

Also, I thought most leave ins were water based. I wonder if I should use my Carols Daughter Black Vanilla insted of my Aussie Moist leave in. The Carols Daughter doesn't seem to wet my hair as much as the Aussie Moist does and I did use the Aussie Moist to reset my twists last night.
Shauny
Shauny

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 18th February 2010, 11:16 am

Shauny Thanks!! I was excited about the win. In ref to the twist go check out Lynnieluv she is a pro at 2 strand twist and our hair is about the same length.

Als if you get a chance check out my thread and I did coil out and you pretty much get the similar effect as the flexirods, so that may be an option. My flexirod set was done professionally because I am lazy, LOL! HTH

also click

here to learn how to post pics. I want to see your hair!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

Back to top Go down

Post by BlondeByDesire 18th February 2010, 11:40 am

Still no photos ... xxShaunyxx Icon_sad
BlondeByDesire
BlondeByDesire

Back to top Go down

Post by Shauny 18th February 2010, 11:42 am

LOL BlondeByDesire, I'm looking at the post sweetdrk just linked so hopefully I can put some up in a few. Wish me luck
Shauny
Shauny

Back to top Go down

Post by Shauny 18th February 2010, 12:26 pm

First attempt at pictures.

Attempt at a wash and go after BC. I am going to attempt it again now that I've read MahoganyCurls tips on how to get a better curl. This was just after a co wash with Cantu Shea Butter and Fantasia gel to slick my hair back.

xxShaunyxx Wash_a12

xxShaunyxx Wng113
Shauny
Shauny

Back to top Go down

Post by Shauny 18th February 2010, 12:27 pm

YAY!!! It worked..aw shucky shucky now
Shauny
Shauny

Back to top Go down

Post by BlondeByDesire 18th February 2010, 12:41 pm

Thanks ... yes MC gives good tips on wash-n-gos.
BlondeByDesire
BlondeByDesire

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 18th February 2010, 2:13 pm

Shauny wrote:First attempt at pictures.

Attempt at a wash and go after BC. I am going to attempt it again now that I've read MahoganyCurls tips on how to get a better curl. This was just after a co wash with Cantu Shea Butter and Fantasia gel to slick my hair back.

xxShaunyxx Wash_a12

xxShaunyxx Wng113

Yeahhhhhh cheers congrats on posting a pic!! I love MC that is a great person to get advice from. When I first BC'd I stayed on her channel. I think I have watched EVERY vid she has! LOL! I have learned the key is learning what your hair wants. I will continue to check in on you...check out the other sistas..they all have knowledge and are willing to offer suggestions
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

Back to top Go down

Post by Shauny 19th February 2010, 2:52 pm

Day 3 of my twists. They look like they'll be a dry hot mess when I try a twist out tonight. It's funny because I used the exact same products I used while in transition and my twists stayed nice and shiny. Good or bad I'll post pics.

Since going natural I am entering into product junkiehood...lol. No matter what I'm going to the store for, I always walk out with a conditioner, styling product, accesories, etc. Really bad habit that I need to break.
Shauny
Shauny

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 19th February 2010, 10:04 pm

Shauny wrote:Thanks for the suggestions guys. For my twists, after I cowashed I moisterized and sealed with Aussie Moist Hair Insurance (water based), coconut oil, and Cantu Shea Butter leave in (ordered real shea butter from Butters-N-Bars on Monday). Because I know my hair seems to eat product, I also used Carol Daughters Loc Butter to actually do the twist. Today they kind of looks dry but when I touch them my hands are oily so I'm unsure.

@juices for your EVOO/Coconut oil mix, do you have it in a bottle mixed together or do you just use them seperately? I have them both so I think I'm going to try that mix.

Also, I thought most leave ins were water based. I wonder if I should use my Carols Daughter Black Vanilla insted of my Aussie Moist leave in. The Carols Daughter doesn't seem to wet my hair as much as the Aussie Moist does and I did use the Aussie Moist to reset my twists last night.

I have them in a bottle mixed. I melted the coconut oil and then added the olive oil. The olive oil changes the melting point of the mixture so I never have to worry about the coconut oil becoming solid.
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 19th February 2010, 10:07 pm

Your hair looks great! How long did you transition?
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by Shauny 20th February 2010, 12:05 pm

Thanks, I'm going to make my mix today.

I transitioned for 11 months. My last relaxer was Mar 09. I was going to fully transition but part of me wanted to just start from scratch. I went back and forth then I found this site, read a few stories and the forums and saw MCs fabulous 1 year video and decided to go for it. I've had short hair relaxed before so why no try it out on natural hair. I'm absessed with my hair now in taking care of it and I think that's going to continue into other aspects of my life.
Shauny
Shauny

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum