CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Homemade Products anyone???

+16
LadyMika
Phoenix
CurlsGalore
savvybrown
vmichelle
Apearl
sweetdrk1
curlmixtress
Curly Film Chick
HAMPTONSFNST
NylaCoils
tiashaunteé
AfrikanLatina
blondie
HappigocurliJenn
MsChris8
20 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

homemade - Homemade Products anyone??? - Page 2 Empty Re: Homemade Products anyone???

Post by AfrikanLatina 29th December 2009, 11:18 am

I personally love how Lavender EO smells but I'm not sure if others will like the smell. Most people are used to the watered down processed lavender smell. My hubby hates the lavender lol I wanted something a little sweeter because I'm also making this for others. If it could smell like something they would get from Bath and Body Works that would be great.
AfrikanLatina
AfrikanLatina

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?id=25004315&a

Back to top Go down

homemade - Homemade Products anyone??? - Page 2 Empty Re: Homemade Products anyone???

Post by tiashaunteé 29th December 2009, 11:23 am

What about Patchouli? I love that scent-its kinda unisex to me.
I was wondering about using extract...like the kind you cook with. I haven't done any research yet to see if anyone else has tried it.
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by AfrikanLatina 29th December 2009, 11:30 am

I'll have to see if I can smell Patchouli before I buy it. Thanks. I actually bought some banana flavored extract with the intentions of using it for the whipped shea butter but I'll have to see about whether I need to add a preservative or keep it in the fridge. I might have to hit up Dajewel or do some browsing.
AfrikanLatina
AfrikanLatina

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?id=25004315&a

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 29th December 2009, 11:50 am

The places that I have seen Patchouli, usually have testers that you can smell. Let me know if you find anything about using the extract
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by vmichelle 29th December 2009, 8:19 pm

blondie wrote:I love me a raw honey- vitamin E- coconut oil- coconut milk -jojoba oil- raw mango - witha a splash of aloe vera juice 2 day non-stop overnight deep conditioner!!

taken after said conditioner -

What are your measurement's blondie?
vmichelle
vmichelle

http://mynaturalme.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by vmichelle 29th December 2009, 8:31 pm

curlmixtress wrote:I use bentonite clay and yogurt as a protein treatment and cleanser.
2 cups yogurt
1 cup bentonite clay
Apply to damp hair and baggie for 1 hour. It makes curls pop and softens the hair beautifully.

What are the benefits of bentonite clay?
vmichelle
vmichelle

http://mynaturalme.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by blondie 29th December 2009, 11:20 pm

vmichelle wrote:
blondie wrote:I love me a raw honey- vitamin E- coconut oil- coconut milk -jojoba oil- raw mango - witha a splash of aloe vera juice 2 day non-stop overnight deep conditioner!!

What are your measurement's blondie?

I actually don't really measure. I start off with a boatload of raw honey and add everything in by sight, I usually add an ounce or so of a thick conditioner to make sure it doesn't run (Aubrey's is a good thick one). You can start with like 2 oz of raw honey, 2 tspns of vita e, 2 tblspns of the coco oil & milk, jojoba,& raw mango and the splash of aloe vera. I sometimes add more of one thing than another, add (ex avocado) depending on my hair's needs.
blondie
blondie

Back to top Go down

Post by savvybrown 15th January 2010, 2:31 am

Avocado/Mayo Deep Conditioner (my favorite!)
1/2 of a Haas avocado meat mashed with fork well
1/2 cup regular mayo
2tbsps of oil (I use raw coconut oil, but you can use jojoba, olive, grapeseed, etc.)
Put the avocado and the oil in a mini food processor or blender and blend, then add the mayo until smooth. Apply to hair from root to tip and cover with a plastic bag or cap and wrap head with a towel. Leave on for a couple of hours, then rinse out with warm water. Put any extra in the fridge. (It keeps for a week or so)

Daily leave-in conditioner
Pour 1/8 cup of conditioner and oil (like the ones mentioned above) into a spray bottle ad fill the rest with water. Shake and spray on your hair daily.

DIY shampoo
A few tbs of Castile peppermint soap in a bottle, fill the rest with water. Shake, wash and condition as usual

Bentonite Clay Deep conditioner
6 tbsps clay
as much ACV as it takes to make it creamy and smooth
apply to hair, and leave it on for 30 mins
Rinse first with cool water, and then more ACV to get it all out.
savvybrown
savvybrown

http://savvybrown.com

Back to top Go down

Post by blondie 15th January 2010, 2:51 am

tiashauntee wrote:What about Patchouli? I love that scent-its kinda unisex to me.
I was wondering about using extract...like the kind you cook with. I haven't done any research yet to see if anyone else has tried it.

Although I didn't do it myself, I had a bunch of stuff custom made with patchouli. It's very light..I loved it in a conditioner!
blondie
blondie

Back to top Go down

Post by savvybrown 15th January 2010, 9:24 am

@blondie do u really leave ur conditioner in for 2 days?
savvybrown
savvybrown

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlsGalore 15th January 2010, 5:23 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Your curls are the business!!! Very pretty!!!
CurlsGalore
CurlsGalore

http://public.fotki.com/mahoganyface

Back to top Go down

Post by blondie 16th January 2010, 2:10 am

savvybrown wrote:@blondie do u really leave ur conditioner in for 2 days?

Yup! If I'm doing a "marathon session", then I add some more conditioner each night.
blondie
blondie

Back to top Go down

Post by blondie 16th January 2010, 2:11 am

CurlsGalore wrote:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Your curls are the business!!! Very pretty!!!

Thank you! Very Happy
blondie
blondie

Back to top Go down

Post by Phoenix 16th January 2010, 7:05 am

My favorite twisting product is shea butter heated until its soft, with coconut oil, aloe vera gel, and lavender EO mixed until it looks like stiff whipped cream
Phoenix
Phoenix

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMika 18th January 2010, 10:29 pm

First post in the forums! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] My favorite mix is my shea butter whipped with coconut oil, jojoba oil, EVOO, aloe vera oil, advocado oil, grapeseed oil, castor oil, and a little honey. I get both moisture and growth benefits from this mix, and it doubles as a body butter too! My skin has drastically improved, and I've only been working with this mix for about two weeks. (Been tweaking my recipe for ONE YEAR. lol)
LadyMika
LadyMika

http://metalkink.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by savvybrown 18th January 2010, 10:34 pm

@LadyMika Welcome! That mix sounds great! I'm going to try that one. I don't ususally add that many oild to mine, but I think that would make it even smoother. Thanks!
savvybrown
savvybrown

Back to top Go down

Post by MsChris8 19th January 2010, 10:02 am

@savvy brown--> What type of conditioner do you use in your daily leave-in?
@Phoenix--> Do you find that your mix works better on dry or wet hair when you're twisting?
MsChris8
MsChris8

Back to top Go down

Post by chocolate-kinks 19th January 2010, 5:13 pm

Apearl wrote:Shea Aloe moisturizer

9 oz Aloe Vera Gel
4 oz Shea Butter
2 - 3 oz Coconut Oil
1 oz Jojoba Oil
1 oz Safflower Oil
1 oz Vegetable Glycerin
10 - 20 drops of Essential Oil for fragrance

Aloe "Gel"

4 oz Aloe Vera Gel
1 oz Jojoba Oil
1 oz Glycerin (vegetable)
10 drops of Essential Oil for fragrance

* I have not made this gel in 6 months. I made a double batch and it has lasted me all this time (I use it once or twice a week)

Girlll!!! the shea aloe moisurizer sounds so interesting. Is it like a a cream? If so, do you use it for twist outs? I would have to change the Jojoba oil for something else because for some reason, it dries out my hair.
chocolate-kinks
chocolate-kinks

Back to top Go down

Post by savvybrown 19th January 2010, 5:20 pm

@MsChris8 I use either one or a combo of the following:

- Giovanni Smooth As Silk Conditioner
- Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose (AOHSR)
- Suave Tropical coconut

@Apearl Do you use your aloe "Gel" for twistouts? Is it strong enough to smooth your edges when you wear your hair up in a puff?
savvybrown
savvybrown

Back to top Go down

Post by NylaCoils 19th January 2010, 5:58 pm

I added sage and rosemary plants to my avocado oil. My hair seems to like this! Supposedly they all promote growth. this is what i have in my spray bottle.
NylaCoils
NylaCoils

http://coilyencounters.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by chocolate-kinks 19th January 2010, 9:11 pm

oh I just remember homemade product that I found online. I altered it and it works for me.

4 ounces of Glycerine
2 1/2 ounces of water
2 ounces of aloe vera gel

combine then shake.

My hair lovesssss this stuff. I mean I have to keep re applying in because my hair just sucks it up. It also refines my little curls. I just love it. I think i may alter it some more after I remove my feed in braid. Thinking of maybe changing it to this

4 ounces of Glycerine
2 1/2 ounces of water
1 ounce of EVOO
2 small drops of honey or Tea tree oil (natural preservative)
a few drops of almond oil (for a lil scent, it's also moisturizing)

I hope this new mix works for me Smile
chocolate-kinks
chocolate-kinks

Back to top Go down

Post by R2D2 19th January 2010, 10:55 pm

chocolate-kinks wrote:oh I just remember homemade product that I found online. I altered it and it works for me.

4 ounces of Glycerine
2 1/2 ounces of water

combine then shake.

Smile

This is a good basic formula that you can change around to suit your hair or the climate. I am in summer and and currently using 2 tbsp glycerin, 4 oz water, 4 oz aloe vera juice and 2 tbsp V05 conditioner. I spritz day and night in between washes. I was daily cowashing but have had too many late nights lately!
R2D2
R2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by chocolate-kinks 19th January 2010, 11:00 pm

R2D2 wrote:
chocolate-kinks wrote:oh I just remember homemade product that I found online. I altered it and it works for me.

4 ounces of Glycerine
2 1/2 ounces of water

combine then shake.

Smile

This is a good basic formula that you can change around to suit your hair or the climate. I am in summer and and currently using 2 tbsp glycerin, 4 oz water, 4 oz aloe vera juice and 2 tbsp V05 conditioner. I spritz day and night in between washes. I was daily cowashing but have had too many late nights lately!

Your soo right. My hair loves a lot of thick moisture, so thats why I add lots more glycerine.
chocolate-kinks
chocolate-kinks

Back to top Go down

Post by Apearl 24th January 2010, 12:09 am

MsChris8 wrote:@Apearl...When you make the Aloe Gel do you use all natural aloe?

Yes I use natural aloe vera gel. I buy it from Whole Foods. I normally use Lily of the Desert brand Aloe Vera Gel

chocolate-kinks wrote:Girlll!!! the shea aloe moisurizer sounds so interesting. Is it like a a cream? If so, do you use it for twist outs? I would have to change the Jojoba oil for something else because for some reason, it dries out my hair.

Yes it's like a cream, sometimes a little thicker than others.
I use it on twist outs and braid outs. Plus on wash & gos.
You can use whatever oils you like. I use to use sweet almond oil, but like Jojoba more.

savvybrown wrote:@Apearl Do you use your aloe "Gel" for twistouts? Is it strong enough to smooth your edges when you wear your hair up in a puff?

I have never used Aloe Vera gel only on my hair. I use it to smooth down my edges or when I pull it back into a wet ponytail and wash & gos that I want to have a better hold. I have not used it on a twist out.
Apearl
Apearl

http://public.fotki.com/ApearlC/

Back to top Go down

Post by chocolate-kinks 24th January 2010, 4:42 am

Apearl wrote:
MsChris8 wrote:@Apearl...When you make the Aloe Gel do you use all natural aloe?

Yes I use natural aloe vera gel. I buy it from Whole Foods. I normally use Lily of the Desert brand Aloe Vera Gel

chocolate-kinks wrote:Girlll!!! the shea aloe moisurizer sounds so interesting. Is it like a a cream? If so, do you use it for twist outs? I would have to change the Jojoba oil for something else because for some reason, it dries out my hair.

Yes it's like a cream, sometimes a little thicker than others.
I use it on twist outs and braid outs. Plus on wash & gos.
You can use whatever oils you like. I use to use sweet almond oil, but like Jojoba more.

savvybrown wrote:@Apearl Do you use your aloe "Gel" for twistouts? Is it strong enough to smooth your edges when you wear your hair up in a puff?

I have never used Aloe Vera gel only on my hair. I use it to smooth down my edges or when I pull it back into a wet ponytail and wash & gos that I want to have a better hold. I have not used it on a twist out.

Oh btw, do you melt down the sheabutter when your making it?
chocolate-kinks
chocolate-kinks

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next