CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why Use Henna? What Are the Benefits Besides Color?

+19
SisterBoyd
Tmochava
beautifuleyez
LilMsPuddles
Lanamarie
Courtie
jamaicacurl
RoseNaturalBeauty
msqueenie
labon10
D-Lish
Sweetypie
Lita
MixedStraightUp
cutephantasm
natural83
*CurlyNikki*
gammainme
WarriorPrincess
23 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Why Use Henna?  What Are the Benefits Besides Color? - Page 2 Empty Re: Why Use Henna? What Are the Benefits Besides Color?

Post by beautifuleyez 25th November 2009, 6:15 pm

Lanamarie wrote:I have a question...I'm new to the forum, new to natural hair. I'm still transitioning. I'm 6 months post relaxer and plan to BC after my high school reunion in 3 weeks. I love my natural hair color. It is medium brown in blond streaks (everyone swears I color my hair but it's all me). I'm rather interested in Henna treatments once I BC but I'm fearful that I'll lose my natural color. Is there a way to Henna without adding the red tint?

I'm not sure if someone has already suggested this, but you might consider cassia, from what I understand it is not henna, but offers similiar conditioning results and doesn't deposit color. It is even safe for natural blonds to use without changing their haircolor.

HTH
Blessings
beautifuleyez
beautifuleyez

Back to top Go down

Why Use Henna?  What Are the Benefits Besides Color? - Page 2 Empty Re: Why Use Henna? What Are the Benefits Besides Color?

Post by Tmochava 5th December 2009, 12:40 pm

koilsbynature wrote:Hello Tia! If I were you I would get 2 packs and you should check out Mehandi.com and she has detailed instructions, for African American hair. Also I would recommend that you do this over the weekend, because you have to let the henna sit over night and you only need it on your hair for 2 hours! Wrapped in plastic wrap with olive oil.

I'm confused, do you leave it on overnight or for two hours? Or do you mean the mixture has to sit overnight and then be left on your hair for two hours?
Tmochava
Tmochava

Back to top Go down

Post by LilMsPuddles 5th December 2009, 5:15 pm

Tmochava wrote:
koilsbynature wrote:Hello Tia! If I were you I would get 2 packs and you should check out Mehandi.com and she has detailed instructions, for African American hair. Also I would recommend that you do this over the weekend, because you have to let the henna sit over night and you only need it on your hair for 2 hours! Wrapped in plastic wrap with olive oil.

I'm confused, do you leave it on overnight or for two hours? Or do you mean the mixture has to sit overnight and then be left on your hair for two hours?

Henna should be left out to set over night or while your at work/school. The henna should be on your hair for however long you see fit to get the results you want. I leave mine on for about 5 hours to give me a more intense color but not everyone wants my results so not everyone has to wait that long.
LilMsPuddles
LilMsPuddles

http://twitter.com/Ms_Puddles

Back to top Go down

Post by SisterBoyd 10th December 2009, 6:20 pm

beautifuleyez wrote:
Lanamarie wrote:I have a question...I'm new to the forum, new to natural hair. I'm still transitioning. I'm 6 months post relaxer and plan to BC after my high school reunion in 3 weeks. I love my natural hair color. It is medium brown in blond streaks (everyone swears I color my hair but it's all me). I'm rather interested in Henna treatments once I BC but I'm fearful that I'll lose my natural color. Is there a way to Henna without adding the red tint?

I'm not sure if someone has already suggested this, but you might consider cassia, from what I understand it is not henna, but offers similiar conditioning results and doesn't deposit color. It is even safe for natural blonds to use without changing their haircolor.

HTH
Blessings

Do you know where I can get cassia?
SisterBoyd
SisterBoyd

https://www.youtube.com/sisterboyd, www.blackplanet.com/sisterboy

Back to top Go down

Why Use Henna?  What Are the Benefits Besides Color? - Page 2 Empty Where to Get Cassia?

Post by WarriorPrincess 10th December 2009, 7:47 pm

Mehandi.com.

Click or paste the link below for helpful information. I actually returned my indigo for cassia today. I was so intrigued by the info at the link pertaining to cassia's effect on black hair, I decided to try it. So I will have both henna and cassia. I'm gonna use cassia first for a few months then when that is out...I'm going to try the henna. I'm told the effects are the same and as the sister above stated, cassia does not color hair. The link will give you the different types of products and what results to expect based on the color of your hair.

http://www.mehandi.com/shop/hairinstructions2.pdf

Also you can call them directly at 330.238.4097 I spoke to Jenn. They are very nice and informative by phone. I prefer speaking to people live.
WarriorPrincess
WarriorPrincess

Back to top Go down

Post by SisterBoyd 10th December 2009, 9:58 pm

Thank you Tisha! That was a clear and concise definition. I just might try the Cassia and Amla!
SisterBoyd
SisterBoyd

https://www.youtube.com/sisterboyd, www.blackplanet.com/sisterboy

Back to top Go down

Why Use Henna?  What Are the Benefits Besides Color? - Page 2 Empty YAY!! I just Henna'd and I LOVE IT!!

Post by curlyamazon 11th December 2009, 8:27 pm

I'm at work now, so I don't have my camera to post the pics. I'll do that later tonight:) I did the henna overnight (yesterday) and rinsed this morning. I LOVE how it turned out. It rinsed out well enough, I still have a few light orange drippies after I showered today, but I expected that (plus the lady at the mehandi site said that would happen).

I did a quick TnC this morning under my hooded dryer and it was BEAUTIFUL! Angelica (that's my hair) seems to like this henna. So day one down...let's see how to color settles. Usually my TnCs are a bit odd looking, but I was really satified with this one today.

I mixed up a homemade deep treatment/oil treatment with Sauve Humectress, EVOO, Jojaba Oil and unrefined shea butter. I let it sit on my clean, damp hair for about an hour under a plastic hat. It was so rich, that I didn't have to add anything to my hair after I rinsed it all out. I just did the TnC and went on with my day!

Can you tell i'm excited!! I love this henna:)
curlyamazon
curlyamazon

Back to top Go down

Post by WarriorPrincess 11th December 2009, 9:28 pm

What is TnC? Is there a glossary on here?
WarriorPrincess
WarriorPrincess

Back to top Go down

Post by WarriorPrincess 11th December 2009, 9:28 pm

Curly Amazon what is your hair texture? Just curious? Yours looks like mine.
WarriorPrincess
WarriorPrincess

Back to top Go down

Post by Tmochava 11th December 2009, 10:28 pm

Tisha wrote:What is TnC? Is there a glossary on here?

Twist N Curl, Nikki has a tutorial on it.
Tmochava
Tmochava

Back to top Go down

Post by WarriorPrincess 11th December 2009, 10:55 pm

Thank you, Tmochava
WarriorPrincess
WarriorPrincess

Back to top Go down

Post by starrnatural 13th December 2009, 10:31 pm

Ladies, I have a question to add.....Can you apply henna over hair that is already dyed? I have blondish highligts in my hair. Does henna act like a permanent or semi-permanent dye?

BTW-Great site!

starrnatural

Back to top Go down

Post by LilMsPuddles 14th December 2009, 11:25 am

starrnatural wrote:Ladies, I have a question to add.....Can you apply henna over hair that is already dyed? I have blondish highligts in my hair. Does henna act like a permanent or semi-permanent dye?

BTW-Great site!

Permanent VS semi-permanent depends on who you ask. Yes you can apply it to previously bleached or dyed hair but it is STRONGLY suggested that you do a strand test because in those cases, especially with bleached hair the results can be unpredictable.
LilMsPuddles
LilMsPuddles

http://twitter.com/Ms_Puddles

Back to top Go down

Post by starrnatural 14th December 2009, 2:14 pm

LilMsPuddles wrote:
starrnatural wrote:Ladies, I have a question to add.....Can you apply henna over hair that is already dyed? I have blondish highligts in my hair. Does henna act like a permanent or semi-permanent dye?

BTW-Great site!

Permanent VS semi-permanent depends on who you ask. Yes you can apply it to previously bleached or dyed hair but it is STRONGLY suggested that you do a strand test because in those cases, especially with bleached hair the results can be unpredictable.

Great suggestion, Thanks! I think I need to do more research on it though.

starrnatural

Back to top Go down

Post by Tmochava 14th December 2009, 2:31 pm

Tisha wrote:Thank you, Tmochava

No problem
Tmochava
Tmochava

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyLadyButler 22nd January 2010, 2:26 am

Well I just ordered mine (200 grams and I only have a TWA) I figure I can freeze the remaining for later...
CurlyLadyButler
CurlyLadyButler

https://www.youtube.com/AlexandraBond

Back to top Go down

Post by quiqui81 7th March 2010, 7:16 am

I am thinking about trying a Henna...my hair is currently jet black (I've been rinsing it this color for years) so I have a couple of questions...
1. I would like the color to show up....but not superbright...so should I use the fine sift or just go with the regular henna for hair (again, my hair is VERY dark)?
2. Has anyone ever used it combination with cinnamon? How does this differ from the color you would normally get?
3. How often do I need to do it?
4. Will the sun make the color brighter (I live in the Arizona desert!!!)
quiqui81
quiqui81

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2