CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 months into transitioning and shedding.....

4 posters

Go down

2 months into transitioning and shedding..... Empty 2 months into transitioning and shedding.....

Post by MsJones1015 23rd March 2011, 7:59 pm

I am two months post relaxer and noticed that my hair is shedding more than usual. I deep condition my hair once a week with Coconut oil formula deep conditioning protein pack and I try to keep my hair moisturized with unrefined shea butter. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to decrease the shedding of my hair?
MsJones1015
MsJones1015

Back to top Go down

2 months into transitioning and shedding..... Empty Re: 2 months into transitioning and shedding.....

Post by tashacu02 23rd March 2011, 8:27 pm

I have used henna twice and it has reduced my shedding dramatically. I don't know if you have interested in that, but I have noticed a difference in my hair and I love the color. However, it may just a phase your hair is going through because you are early in your transition. I know when I was still getting relaxers, my hair would shed more when it was time for me to get a relaxer, which is about the time you are at now. Just try to be extra gentle and use low manipulation and/or protective hairstyles (braids, twists, etc.) to help you through this time. HTH
tashacu02
tashacu02

Back to top Go down

2 months into transitioning and shedding..... Empty Re: 2 months into transitioning and shedding.....

Post by MsJones1015 23rd March 2011, 8:32 pm

I am hoping that this shedding stops eventually. In regards to protective styles, I am becoming a pro at the bantu knots, but my curls will only last for the day. The curls begin to drop before the day sis over. Do you have any knowledge of products that will allow my curls to hold.
MsJones1015
MsJones1015

Back to top Go down

Post by tashacu02 23rd March 2011, 8:46 pm

Bantu knots look great on everyone else, but never seem to work on my hair. My go to styles that never let me down are braid outs, twist outs, and flexi rod curls. I just recently started using Keracare twist and define cream on my braid and twist outs and it really does a good job. It defines my curls and gives it a slight hold, but still leaves it soft. It's pretty pricey and I was hesitate to buy it but I'm glad I did because it was just what I was looking for. You also don't need to use much for it to do a good job so the jar will last a while. If you use too much, it will make your hair hard...I had to learn the hard way! LOL

Some other people on here also use ecostyler gel and aloe vera gel, but I haven't used either yet, so I can't speak from personal experience.
tashacu02
tashacu02

Back to top Go down

Post by nialah 25th March 2011, 6:48 pm

when did you start using the protein packs? you should not do protein treatments too often, or breakage can occur.
nialah
nialah

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 25th March 2011, 7:24 pm

Hey MsJones! **wave** I am a fan of Aphogee protein treatments. As long as you follow the directions to the letter and continually moisturize the weeks after you should be fine. I have done 3 since I started my journey and have had no problems. My shedding is very minimal and it helps strengthen the hair. If you don't want to go with something so strong right off, you may want to try their 2 Minute Keratin Reconstructor. Its a weekly treatment and its also highly effective. Sometimes I use it as "maintenance" between 2 Step treatments. Both of these are well priced and available in small or trial sized packs.

As far as hold for your BKOs... I have used AVG and it holds well. Using that on top of a light oil will yield a nice non cruchy hold. You can also use Elasta QP Design Foam (Love the ingredients in this; lots of vitamins and good oils) with a little AVG. This has been the only thing to hold my rod sets when I use huge rollers. The Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie also mixes very well with gels and can provide a soft but lasting hold. HTH!

Last edited by Ambitious_Tiff on 25th March 2011, 7:28 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add more info :-))
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down