CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

9 Months post relaxer- Breakage just started. What am I doing wrong?

4 posters

Go down

9 Months post relaxer- Breakage just started. What am I doing wrong? Empty 9 Months post relaxer- Breakage just started. What am I doing wrong?

Post by Peachysweet74 19th March 2011, 6:24 am

Hello to all my Curly Natural Beauties!! I'm new, brand spanking new to the site. ( just 5 minutes)LOL. It's been 9 months since my last relaxer and for the first time my hair is being to break at the line of demarkation. The only thing new tha I am doing is Henna. I did my first Henna in Feb'11 then another just yesterday. In that month, my hair has shed a great deal. So much so tha I am about to just go ahead and do the BC. Yet that was not the plan from the beginning. Can someone give me some advice on what I could be doing wrong or what I should try before I take that plunge and BC? Thanks in advance.
Miracles & Blessings!
Peachysweet74
Peachysweet74

Back to top Go down

9 Months post relaxer- Breakage just started. What am I doing wrong? Empty Re: 9 Months post relaxer- Breakage just started. What am I doing wrong?

Post by aprilj90 19th March 2011, 12:51 pm

Henna can be very drying. I would suggest doing a DC and then continuing to moisturize daily after that. HTH!
aprilj90
aprilj90

Back to top Go down

9 Months post relaxer- Breakage just started. What am I doing wrong? Empty Re: 9 Months post relaxer- Breakage just started. What am I doing wrong?

Post by Peachysweet74 19th March 2011, 10:02 pm

Aprilj90,
thank you so much for your advice. I will DC my hair better and make sure that I keep it moisturized everyday. You hair is beautiful in you pic. I'm inspired to make this a great journey.
Peachysweet74
Peachysweet74

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 20th March 2011, 12:57 pm

I endorse what April said. Also, there is a difference b/t shedding and breaking. If you have loss more hair during that time and your hair was in braids or didn't comb/detangle to the extent you normally do, consider that as well. 50 - about 100 hairs lost each day is normal. For about 5 months, I put my hair in a zip lock bag. It was helpful in keeping an eye on hair loss. Stress and physical health issues such as hormonal imbalances can play a role and sometimes coincide with a new treatment, so naturally the treatment gets the focus although it may not be the culprit. So, be vigilent about the deep moisturizing treatment, but keep your eyes out for other things also. Bueno suerte!

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachysweet74 21st March 2011, 7:58 am

thank you so much. I spent yesterday with conditioner/ heat on my hair. Then this morning I'm using Aphogee Leave-in and sealing with coconut oil and shea butter. While styling I only lost a few strands of hair. so the DT is working. I have to get my moisture levels back up after every Henna treatment. this is something that I did not know nor had I read anywhere in my research before I began to Henna.
Ladies, thank you again for the advice and direction. As soon as I figure out how to post picture to my post replies I will do so. That way you will be able to see my progress.
Miracles and Blessings
Peachysweet74
Peachysweet74

Back to top Go down

Post by FalconTress 21st March 2011, 9:57 pm

Peachysweet74 wrote:thank you so much. I spent yesterday with conditioner/ heat on my hair. Then this morning I'm using Aphogee Leave-in and sealing with coconut oil and shea butter. While styling I only lost a few strands of hair. so the DT is working. I have to get my moisture levels back up after every Henna treatment. this is something that I did not know nor had I read anywhere in my research before I began to Henna.
Ladies, thank you again for the advice and direction. As soon as I figure out how to post picture to my post replies I will do so. That way you will be able to see my progress.
Miracles and Blessings

Everyone has given you good advice, especially the part about knowing the difference between breakage and shedding. Here's the link to a video with more info on this topic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0933yP3Ey8

What products are you using to cleanse & condition your hair? Are you using gels, pudding or sprays for hold?
I am not sure what part of Florida you live in, but the areas I have lived in & visited have been humid (I was permed then and knew nothing about keeping my hair moisturized) so you may need to moisturize more than once a day.

Also, stay hydrated internally by consuming enough water, fruit, vegatables and EFAs (Essential Fatty acids)

HTH

Last edited by FalconTress on 21st March 2011, 10:00 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : To add comment regarding nutrition)

FalconTress

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down