CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Curly in the Caribbean

5 posters

Go down

Curly in the Caribbean Empty Curly in the Caribbean

Post by rachie 2nd March 2011, 8:26 pm

It's been a loooong while since I've posted but what brought me back to the forums is an experience I had today. Well most of my Caribbean Curlies know that this weekend is Trinidad and Tobago's carnival and together with the "comess" and "bachanal" comes the different hairstyles. It's acceptable during this season to dye your hair any colour, bead it, braid it, weave it, cut it whatever. So what's my problem?
I was in a taxi when a lady passed in her corporate suit and with her fly BAA when the guy next to me said that she could only get away with it now because it's carnival but he hopes that she quickly finds a hairdresser and do something with that nappy mess. Yuh know I nearly cuss up d man (but God is good!) but the real issue is outside of the festive carnival season, are certain hairstyles really not work-appropriate? Sometimes I believe we are still conservative in our thinking where (and from a personal experience) if your hair is not straightened, you're not professional enough to get the job (I was really told that...not to my face though). But do you understand what I mean?
Is there ever a time when natural hair can be outlandish rather than outgoing? Too wild, too many colours and accessories or too creative? Let me know what you think.
rachie
rachie

Back to top Go down

Curly in the Caribbean Empty Re: Curly in the Caribbean

Post by natural one 13th March 2011, 6:55 pm

Changing long-held negative beliefs about African texture is a long process. Not every one feels the same as us, and frankly I think we're out numbered.

I think if you choose to go corporate you've got to fit in or you risk failure. There are conservative ways to wear natural hair.

natural one

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 15th March 2011, 4:08 pm

WOW! I admire you for holding your tongue. I probably would have laid into him citing all the powerful and successful women that are sporting natural looks. Those looks are rocked everyday!
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Ladybird 15th March 2011, 4:36 pm

Ok from one Trini to the next. I So totally understand where you are coming from and i know how hard it was for you NOT to cuss him A@%&* out. Sometimes they can be so backwards, but there is nothing you can can do about that ( their problem not yours).

I cannot wait to rock my fro when i come home, just to show them that there is nothing wrong with our natural hair.

Ladybird
Ladybird

Back to top Go down

Post by nattycurls 26th March 2011, 4:40 pm

Oh how I feel ya! Working in corporate america while natural does have its share of challenges. I've been been natural for 17 months and the comments/discussion/stares that I have received from my coworkers have left me wanting to curse a few of them out...but I never lose my cool. Can't having them calling me an angry black woman in addition to nappy!

I've been asked, when am I going to straighten my hair and why won't I get a weave? Mind you, I've always worn conservative hairstyles (even when relaxed). My answer is always the same, I'm not going to straighten my hair or wear a weave. Then I proceed to ask them why do they have a problem with my hair growing out my head the way God made it? Usually they will back off but I did encounter a woman that told me that God made an error on black hair. Shocked Poor ignorant fool.

nattycurls

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down