CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

North Carolina

+15
curlista
gettinback2myroots
Sebastain13
NappilyEverAfter
kdarren_07
mrsrenaissance
naturallyme09
aisling~siahbon
kymmoka
Carolina Natural
earthychic77
Styling
ejbarnes
tiashaunteé
AfrikanLatina
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

North Carolina Empty North Carolina

Post by AfrikanLatina 11th June 2010, 2:26 pm

-Name Of Salon and location: Ayana's Glory Locs in Winston Salem, NC

-Name of stylist: It was over a year ago so unfortunately I don't remember but as far as I can tell they are all professional and have great spirits

-Experience (the good and the bad): I went in for what I thought was just going to be a consultation. I had transitioned for 7 months and was seriously contemplating the BC. The consultation she did was very thorough. She asked me a number of questions and answered any questions that I had for her. After looking through her portfolio I decided that I was ready for the BC( so impulsive, I know) so I asked when I could make an appointment to get it done. She informed me she could do it right then.

The all natural shampoo and conditioner she used made my scalp tingle and she was gentle with my scalp yet rough enough for me to enjoy the massage. Its always nice when someone else is doing your hair if they know what they're doing. I ended up getting comb coils and I believe she did a great job considering who's hair she was working with. I have some nearly bone straight areas of hair on my head and some of those didn't want to coil like they should but she found a way to make it work. I appreciated that. I think any other stylist at a different salon that didn't cater to natural hair would've tried to give me a texturizer or something lol. I really enjoyed the entire atmosphere. We all held conversation like we'd known each other for forever including the owner, Ayana who was working on retwisting/tightening a young sistas locs.

-If you'd recommend to a friend: I have recommended them to a friend already and she loves her locs!

Just a short excerpt from the website: "Ayana's emphasis is on educating clients on how to obtain and care for their nap'tural hair. Every client is treated with dignity and respect with no waiting period for professional, courteous service. The journey to naptural hair can be filled with doubt and fear in addition to many concerns and questions. These concerns are addressed through personal consultations that include determining the condition of your hair and determining the most appropriate styles that fit your individual needs and desires."

Last edited by AfrikanLatina on 12th June 2010, 7:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
AfrikanLatina
AfrikanLatina

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?id=25004315&a

Back to top Go down

North Carolina Empty Re: North Carolina

Post by tiashaunteé 11th June 2010, 4:29 pm

-Name Of Salon and location
Tea & Honey Life Style Hair
-Name of stylist
Tamiko
-Experience (the good and the bad)
mediocre
I didn't have to wait to be seen, my appt time was the time I sat in the chair and that is a good thing for some with a busy schedule. However, I didn't feel the "care" for the clients. My first appt a young lady proceed to flat iron my hair without checking to see what I wanted. I stopped her when I felt the heat and informed her I requested a twist set. Wash time all over again. That flat twist out cost me $70 - ridiculous. My second appt was a flexirod set. The rods were so time that I had to take ibuprofen while sitting under the dryer. That cost me $90 and I didn't even like it. I never went back after that. The only good thing was not having to wait.
-If you'd recommend to a friend
No, only because I personally feel it was overpriced and the quality of style can be done at home with patience and time.
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by ejbarnes 11th June 2010, 10:08 pm

Name of Salon and location: The Avenue in Raleigh NC

Name of Stylist: Taji Shabu and Carla

Experience: My brother has been going to them for officially one year and loves it there. He got his dreads started there and gets them re-twisted at least once a month. She does EVERYTHING you can imagine for natural hair: two strand twists, tracks, two strand twist extensions, dreads, cornrows, etc. She even inspired me to go natural, and i'm going to let her do my hair later this summer. The only down fall is that you usually have to schedule your appointment weeks ahead in time. But she makes it quite simple by going to her website: www.tajishabu.com

If you'd recommend to a friend: Already have recommended her to MANY friends...

ejbarnes

Back to top Go down

North Carolina Empty Senkay Natural Hair Studio

Post by Styling 22nd June 2010, 10:32 pm

Senkay Natural hair Studio LLC. is the salon I love to go to. My Stylist Yesenia is cool and has been in the business for 20 years, plus she is licensed.
Yesenia sat with me and went over many options that I did not no I had with natural hair. I went to her about 3 times before my husband went to get his locks maintained. He was so impress that she did not use any product to retwist, and his hair stayed for 3 weeks until his next appointment. He told some of his friends and now about 9 of us go to her. She is nice down to earth and has great prices. I am impress with her work of locks & natural hair. I would recommend her. She has a web site you can check out too. www.senkayhair.com Good people if you ask me.

Styling

Back to top Go down

Post by earthychic77 26th June 2010, 7:33 pm

Great info!
earthychic77
earthychic77

Back to top Go down

Post by Carolina Natural 29th June 2010, 11:42 am

Shameka @ Hair Fro You! She is wonderful & very knowledgable about natural hair. She's in Cary, NC in the same shopping center as TJ Max and Dairy Queen. Tell her Joy sent ya!

Carolina Natural

Back to top Go down

Post by ejbarnes 29th June 2010, 7:20 pm

does anyone know anyone in the greensboro area who's good with natural?

ejbarnes

Back to top Go down

North Carolina Empty North Carolina

Post by kymmoka 6th July 2010, 5:14 am

Hello,
I'm new to the natural world. Does anyone know of a good salon in the Charlotte area? Thx
kymmoka
kymmoka

Back to top Go down

Post by Styling 6th July 2010, 7:44 am

kymmoka wrote:Hello,
I'm new to the natural world. Does anyone know of a good salon in the Charlotte area? Thx

Just read my post about Senkay Natural Hair in Charlotte. I also read her facebook notes. I think it is something new she is doing not sure. I saw her work and pictures on there too.
www.senkayhair.com is the website. My stylist is Yesenia

Styling

Back to top Go down

Post by kymmoka 6th July 2010, 1:55 pm

OK...thanks so much. The location wasn't noted, so I wasn't sure. I appreciate the response.
kymmoka
kymmoka

Back to top Go down

Post by aisling~siahbon 22nd July 2010, 1:43 am

styles by lisa..I have an appointment... I will post how it goes!

aisling~siahbon

Back to top Go down

North Carolina Empty Styles by Lisa

Post by naturallyme09 4th August 2010, 9:30 pm

Hi,

I am interested in hearing about your experience at Styles by Lisa. How was your visit?

aisling~siahbon wrote:styles by lisa..I have an appointment... I will post how it goes!
naturallyme09
naturallyme09

Back to top Go down

North Carolina Empty Styles by Lisa: Charlotte NC

Post by aisling~siahbon 5th August 2010, 1:13 am

I had a very positive experience. The salon was in a very nice area a few minutes from dowtown Charlotte but not far from Pineville. (that's convenient for me) Her husband Andre greats you at the desk. I was a little late but, they didn't make a big deal. And I was waited on in a timely manner.
I think the shampoo person her name was Natalie. I have not been to the salon in so long I forgot how good it felt to get her scalp rubbed and scrubbed by a shampoo girl. She was extremly polite. While in the bowl I had time to scan the product closet. Lots of Kenra care and Sebastian. ( both I think are good brands) I saw some Kinky Curly too! The only thing I didn't like was I'm always afraid of balling my hair up on my head when it's wet because my hair is etremly knotted, tangly and hard to detangle. When washing I always run my fingers through continously detangling by hand to avoid any extra knots. She didn't do that. Also when blowing drying she did not start from the ends and work her way up to the roots. I have tons of knotted up ends because I rarley straighten and trim. This made a bad situation worse. She had to stop because she didn't want to hurt me.I think the reason she does this though is because the majority of the woman I saw in the salon were transitioning: they had relaxed ends. I am completly natural. But, they do deep condition before they straigten which is good for moisture. My hair did not feel dry after she blow dried.

After blowing drying I sat down in Lisa's chair. She is very sweet and professional. You know how most stylist don't let you see your hair until they are finished. Well I could see my hair while she was working and she ask me periodically while she was styling did I like it.
She used a hot comb for the roots of my hair and a flat iron for the rest. The best part NO BURNT HAIR SMEll!! And, I don't think she used high amounts of heat. The straightening part went pretty quick.
She is also concerned about healthy hair. She told me to help with the knotts that I should straighten and trim more ofter. Which I totally agree with. But, even though my hair was so knotted at the end she gave me a nice trim NOT A HAIR CUT! She also brought it to my attention that I had a then broken off patch in the top center of my head. She recommended I see a demertologist and gave me a card to a Dr. who is African American. She suggested it to make sure It was not a skin issue from a bad relaxer. I don't think it is though because I have not had one in over a year.. I have however had a bad weave and my hair is courser in that area so I'm not as gentle wit it. I have been meaning to see a dermatoligist so, I still think it was good addvice. While I was in the chair a young lady came in to get advice for transitioning..I though Lisa gave her excellent advice.

As for my hair... It's soft, SHINY, silky and relaxer straight. It has body and isn't weighed down with product. I've been in the rain and humidity and it's still holding up well. They charged me 75$ but, I also got the seran wrap thingy for curls. It may be steep to others but, for me it's price I'm willing to pay because I had such a good experience.

There are a few other stylist at the salon. The seemed to do a good job because the followed the same techniques. I saw a young lady get a big chop, another had a twist set, and another got a flexi rod set. I saw quite a few get pressed styles.. They all seemed satisfied.

On my way out I made another appointment!

aisling~siahbon

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsrenaissance 21st August 2010, 10:13 pm

-Name Of Salon and location
Modern Salon Charlotte, NC - Hearst Tower/Phillips Place

-Name of stylist
Sparkles

-Experience (the good and the bad)
Excellent! I really have no complaints.
Welcoming (very clean, they make you a beverage & have computers in the waiting area. I arrived early so that was nice)
Professional - spoke w/me about my hair before we started
Efficient - had me in & out in an hour & 20 min. & that was with alot of talking, would have been sooner. I have NEVER had my hair done in that amount of time...even when I was getting relaxers regularly.
I got my hair shampooed/conditioned, a much needed hair cut & flat iron. My hair looked & felt great. I paid $61 which I thought was decent considering I'd been paying $55 for the same services other places w/out a hair cut.

-If you'd recommend to a friend
Absolutely. If you go to the Hearst Tower location they also validate your parking. Someone also called me the following week to follow up & find out if I enjoyed my service & if there was any room for improvement.
mrsrenaissance
mrsrenaissance

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallyme09 22nd August 2010, 1:35 am

@aisling~siahbon: Thanks for a detailed review! It's great that you enjoyed your experience and shared it with others. I 'm planning to make an appointment with Lisa as well.Thanks again!
naturallyme09
naturallyme09

Back to top Go down

Post by kdarren_07 6th September 2010, 5:55 pm

Hey im new to the natural world are there any good natural salons in Greensboro area.. Im will go to Winston-Salem but i was just want to know about Greensboro??? Please and thank you :-D

kdarren_07

Back to top Go down

Post by NappilyEverAfter 22nd September 2010, 9:46 pm

ejbarnes wrote:Name of Salon and location: The Avenue in Raleigh NC

Name of Stylist: Taji Shabu and Carla

Experience: My brother has been going to them for officially one year and loves it there. He got his dreads started there and gets them re-twisted at least once a month. She does EVERYTHING you can imagine for natural hair: two strand twists, tracks, two strand twist extensions, dreads, cornrows, etc. She even inspired me to go natural, and i'm going to let her do my hair later this summer. The only down fall is that you usually have to schedule your appointment weeks ahead in time. But she makes it quite simple by going to her website: www.tajishabu.com

If you'd recommend to a friend: Already have recommended her to MANY friends...

I love going to Taji!!! She is awesome! Unfortunately Carla isn't there anymore and she has a new apprentice, but Taji is the bomb!
NappilyEverAfter
NappilyEverAfter

http://members.fotki.com/playahdrea/about/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sebastain13 28th October 2010, 9:18 pm

R there any natural hair salons in Greensboro, NC If so please tell me where they r & anyone in particular that I should see at the salon
Sebastain13
Sebastain13

http://<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/">

Back to top Go down

Post by gettinback2myroots 29th October 2010, 11:54 am

Hello Ladies! Does anyone know of A Natural Hair care Salon in Jacksonville, NC?
gettinback2myroots
gettinback2myroots

Back to top Go down

Post by curlista 11th November 2010, 7:56 pm

Has anyone been to the Sophia Sunflower Salon in Raleigh, NC? It's by the creator of MyHoneyChild, Krika.
curlista
curlista

Back to top Go down

North Carolina Empty Salon in Charlotte

Post by MsToadieB 15th November 2010, 11:43 pm

Any other natural salons in Charlotte? I need to find one to try out new styles for my wedding!

Thanks loves!

Styling wrote:Senkay Natural hair Studio LLC. is the salon I love to go to. My Stylist Yesenia is cool and has been in the business for 20 years, plus she is licensed.
Yesenia sat with me and went over many options that I did not no I had with natural hair. I went to her about 3 times before my husband went to get his locks maintained. He was so impress that she did not use any product to retwist, and his hair stayed for 3 weeks until his next appointment. He told some of his friends and now about 9 of us go to her. She is nice down to earth and has great prices. I am impress with her work of locks & natural hair. I would recommend her. She has a web site you can check out too. www.senkayhair.com Good people if you ask me.
MsToadieB
MsToadieB

Back to top Go down

North Carolina Empty Greensboro

Post by butterfly3000 24th November 2010, 4:19 pm

Name: Nappy by Nature
Street: 1014 Homeland Avenue
Greensboro, nc 27405-7014
Phone: (336) 379-1144

Valerie and Kezia. They both have maintained my locs when I had them but Val is also a licensed cosmetologist and is very knowledgeable of natural hair. She can do twists, rod sets, braids (not synthetic), whatever.
They are friendly and personable.
butterfly3000
butterfly3000

Back to top Go down

Post by sajadette 28th November 2010, 11:18 pm

I love Taji located in Raleigh. She was the best! I felt at home w/ her ( a native New Yorker as well) and I ended up sitting and chatting w/ her and the other clients who I've never met before. I'm totally going back after I come back from Vegas!! This is the third time I've tried to go natural & she encouraged me to stick with it.

sajadette

Back to top Go down

Post by curlista 1st January 2011, 7:53 pm

Has anyone been to the Sophia Sunflower Salon in Raleigh, NC? It's by the creator of MyHoneyChild, Krika
curlista
curlista

Back to top Go down

Post by Sebastain13 3rd January 2011, 7:39 pm

Curlista I havent been to her salon but I have used some of her products She has some info on her site & you can ask her questions about your hair & she will respond fast
Sebastain13
Sebastain13

http://<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/">

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next