CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Curly Chef Robin: Frohawk Pic

+42
Neems
Thinice
jeanlouisangel
LaToya28
Treece
Buttercup76
NhappyJackie
Hurricane Curly
gemofacurlgirl
Muz
Renny
CurlsGalore
nattyblog
Cnicoles6
Lynnieluve
freckledmom4
rayray19
Naturally Esq
TexasNat43
CrissyQ
MomnWife
BlondeByDesire
jlowman1
Nikcoils
TheRYL1
AfrikanLatina
MellowOne
sweetdrk1
poeticlyspkng
cyclingchick
WhosThatRedHead
KinkyNappyHappy
NubieNatty
mrsmackey
SheeTacular
swoodward
ktoliver5303
Intelligentbeauty
BrownSkinDiva
krazy coils
curlsunfurled
CurlyChefRobin
46 posters

Page 1 of 14 1, 2, 3 ... 7 ... 14  Next

Go down

Curly Chef Robin: Frohawk Pic Empty Curly Chef Robin: Frohawk Pic

Post by CurlyChefRobin 25th May 2010, 7:10 pm

Ok, hi everyone! I'm Robin and I'm a chef. Just started transitioning and it's now been 11 weeks since my last touch up. I must admit I'm loving my natural hair. I've had problems with my hair for as long as I can remember so I decided to put no chemicals or heat (except my deep conditioning) on my hair for a year. I just want to see how well it will do.

So far my journey's been pretty good. I'm getting a lot of support from family and friends. A few negative people who don't like the idea of being "nappy" but I just smile and ignore them.

The last two days have been very BAD hair days. I decided to try a "braid-out" style and it just didn't work. Today I ended up twisting my front to either side and pulling the rest back. Didn't look too bad. I only have about an inch of new growth so with the humidity and sweating my ends were just too straight. Gonna go back to my signature TnC style (thanks Nikki!) until my hair grows a little more .

I'd like to transition for a while but I have had the urge to just cut my hair off! Any support or advice on transitioning would be great. Also, how do you post pics? Thanks a lot ladies!

Last edited by CurlyChefRobin on 2nd March 2011, 10:17 pm; edited 15 times in total
CurlyChefRobin
CurlyChefRobin

http://www.cookingwithcareonline.com

Back to top Go down

Curly Chef Robin: Frohawk Pic Empty Re: Curly Chef Robin: Frohawk Pic

Post by curlsunfurled 26th May 2010, 12:59 am

Hello and welcome Curly Chef.

I got my last relaxer 2 years ago this month. I'm short and did not think I would look right in a TWA. So to transition, I wore afro kinky twists for a year and BC'd June 2009. This forum offers so many transition stories and they are all different. I believe it depends on the persons comfort level. I believe there is a TWA topic on the forum and you may want to check it out. Youtube also has many videos on transitioning and hairstyles. When you are ready, you'll know. It's not as scary as it may seem - the biggest hurdle is stepping away from that jar of relaxer. Curly Chef Robin: Frohawk Pic Icon_smile
curlsunfurled
curlsunfurled

Back to top Go down

Post by krazy coils 26th May 2010, 7:57 am

Hi Curly Chef Robin,

Welcome to Curl street!
krazy coils
krazy coils

http://public.fotki.com/kamaia16/, https://www.youtube.com/user/k

Back to top Go down

Post by BrownSkinDiva 26th May 2010, 8:06 am

girl congrats on transitioning thats a huge step and just know we are here to help along the way!! Check my fotki for some transitioning styles, its in my siggy Smile We all have had those bad hair days so just know we got you!!! no worries Smile
BrownSkinDiva
BrownSkinDiva

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyChefRobin 26th May 2010, 9:21 am

Thanks so much ladies! I really needed to "hear" this encouragement this morning. This morning is good. My hair looks very nice it just didn't dry as well as I would have liked but such is life. I'm rocking it!
CurlyChefRobin
CurlyChefRobin

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyChefRobin 3rd June 2010, 11:18 pm

@ BrownskinDiva - I love your Fotki! I love how you did such different stuff. I still can't flat twist or braid. I'm going to have to practice that when I have some time. How long did you transition? You hair was so long when you BC'd!

Ideally, I want to wait until my natural hair gets around that length before I BC but we'll see. I keep itching to chop this relaxed stuff of. LOL! It's so funny, I always wanted long straight hair and now that I've accepted my natural hair it's like I can't wait to see it and I want this relaxed hair gone. LOL!
CurlyChefRobin
CurlyChefRobin

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 4th June 2010, 1:03 am

Welcome, I was a long term transitioner as well, 1 yr. I have been natural for 3 months now and LOVE IT!!!

You may not know how to flat twist and braid yet but roller sets and bantu knot outs are always other options. Check out www.fotki.com/intelligentybeauty.com for more ideas.

Remember to moisture, moisture, moisture!!! Deep condition (DC) weekly and use leave in condish, then styler before styling hair.

There are quite a bit of transitioners on here to help you. So just ask cheers study
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by ktoliver5303 4th June 2010, 3:21 am

Welcome Curly Chef Robin

I unfortunately was not a long time transitioner. I had my last perm today a year ago and then BCd in September 2009. But there are a lot of ladies on the street that will be more than happy to support whatever decision you make either BC or a long transition.
ktoliver5303
ktoliver5303

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyChefRobin 4th June 2010, 9:08 am

Thanks so much ladies! I am now three months since my last relaxer. @ Intelligentbeauty - Love your fotki! I can look at those things for hours! LOL!

I did my first Bantu-knot-out this week and the first day was great. I had to do a pin-up the sides thing on the second day but I was still complemented on my hair. Any ideas on getting it to dry faster? I really want to try to not put any heat on my hair except for my deep conditioner. Once I have more natural hair maybe I can rock the bantu knots or the twists without taking them out but it just looks funny with so much thin relaxed hair.

I think I'll try the roller set too. I've been using Jane Carter Wrap and Roll for my twists so I'll try it on that as well. I'm so excited about all the things I can do with my hair!

Thanks so much for the support ladies! Keep it coming!
CurlyChefRobin
CurlyChefRobin

Back to top Go down

Post by swoodward 4th June 2010, 10:55 pm

Hi CurlyChefRobin, stopping by to see your new digs!
swoodward
swoodward

Back to top Go down

Post by SheeTacular 4th June 2010, 11:04 pm

Welcome!
SheeTacular
SheeTacular

http://www.ThoughtsInspirationsEtc.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 5th June 2010, 12:18 am

The bantu knots didn't fair well in my transition phase either. Looked odd!!!LOL
But the roller sets were the best. The double strand twist and roller sets were also great cheers
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyChefRobin 5th June 2010, 5:01 pm

Thanks so much Swoodard and Shetacular_Napps! Please keep stopping by. I'm going to try to post more pics.

@ Intelligent beauty - I liked how my hair looked when I took the Bantu knots down they just took forever to dry! Ugh!!!! It's really hard because my relaxed hair is so thin. I hope others have experienced this.

As my hair is growing I see how much thicker my natural hair is. I'm not looking back but I must say I do wonder how thick my hair would be had I started my natural journey earlier. Can't look back though. Have to look ahead to a beautiful head full of natural hair!
CurlyChefRobin
CurlyChefRobin

Back to top Go down

Post by swoodward 5th June 2010, 5:05 pm

oh yea, thin city!!! eewww,I hated my relaxed hair more than I ever hated my napps, in the end!
swoodward
swoodward

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyChefRobin 5th June 2010, 6:21 pm

Since I'm home I think I'm going to co-wash my hair and do the bantu knots and wear them out for church tomorrow. Hopefully that will give them enough time to dry. I hate sitting under the dryer. Trying to not to do too much heat.

Oh, another great thing happened to me. Yesterday I went to my hairdresser for a line-up and she complimented the softness of my hair. Yeah!!!
CurlyChefRobin
CurlyChefRobin

Back to top Go down

Post by swoodward 5th June 2010, 11:03 pm

results!!! Yes!!! cheers
swoodward
swoodward

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsmackey 5th June 2010, 11:08 pm

hi curlychef!!! I'm a transitioner as well (5 months in...) and bantu knot outs are my signature style...i cowash and everything the night before, i do the bantu knots and wear them UNCOVERED all nite...if you sleep on a satin pillowcase, you don't have to worry about your hair moisture drying out...HTH!!
mrsmackey
mrsmackey

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyChefRobin 6th June 2010, 12:36 am

Thanks MrsMackey. I need to get a new satin pillow case. That may allow them to dry quicker. I did love the results though. :-)
CurlyChefRobin
CurlyChefRobin

Back to top Go down

Post by NubieNatty 6th June 2010, 2:14 am

welcome chef...i got a feelin u'll be bc'in in no time Curly Chef Robin: Frohawk Pic Icon_bounce
NubieNatty
NubieNatty

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyChefRobin 6th June 2010, 9:21 am

Hi Nuby. I think you are right! Lol! Ok ladies, it's 8:17 and I need to be at Church at 9:50 but these darn Bantu knots aren't dry. I only lightly moistened my hair before knotting them last night. I hate sitting under this dryer but I must. So I'm doing some Bible study and peeking at Curly Nikki. :-). Looks like I need to buy a satin pillow case today, because this is taking way to long. I've been taking pics with my phone and I'm going to try to buy a webcam today. Maybe the pics will be clearer so you can all see my curls better. Have a great day on purpose and God bless you all!
CurlyChefRobin
CurlyChefRobin

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyChefRobin 20th June 2010, 10:05 pm

So, this is week 14 and I have 2 inches of new growth!!! I'm still loving my hair and I have NO desire to go back to being relaxed. It's growing beautifully and it's so healthy and shiny. No more breakage and I am so happy about it! I will say that detangling is just soooo much fun. LOL! I must say I went to the hairdresser and she told my why was I there because my hair looked so good. We ended up just doing a line-up and we spent the rest of my hour chit chatting. So much extra money now that I'm not paying for relaxers! LOL!

Haven't bought any new products since my HEHH and my RenPure Organics shampoo. My hair loves EVOO and not the Jajoba oil as much. It's cool. I want to try the Kinky Curly products soon. Just trying to wait to finish what I have now. I'm having trouble uploading pics of my styles but I'll do it soon. I've finally learned to flat twist. They are not the best but they are coming along and now I pretty much do the Kimmay method but I put the ends on perm rods instead of Bantu knots. The bantu knots dry so slowly on me.

That's the latest update.
CurlyChefRobin
CurlyChefRobin

Back to top Go down

Post by swoodward 27th June 2010, 12:56 am

sounds great!!! lucky lady.

How do you like the RenPure? I have a conditioner and the deep conditioner and so far they are pretty good.
swoodward
swoodward

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyChefRobin 27th June 2010, 10:38 pm

I only have the shampoo and so far so good. I want to try the Trader Joe's next but with we'll see. I'd also like to try their conditioner but I promised myself I'd finish up my HEHH first. Trying not to be too much of a PJ. :-)
CurlyChefRobin
CurlyChefRobin

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyChefRobin 5th July 2010, 11:52 pm

Just realized I am finally at week 16!!! That is, I have been transitioning for 4 months and I love my hair, especially my new growth!!!! It's going well. I think I'll wait longer before the BC. I want to have a little more hair. I have about 2 - 2 1/2 inches of new growth which is great!!!

I think I'm going to have to stop having my hairdresser do my hair. she is FAB and supportive of my natural journey (even though she is a self described "creamy crack" addict). It just takes so long for my twists to dry!!! Plus I like them better when they air dry anyway. I think I'll just have her line me up and fix my brows every two weeks. She's been doing my hair for 12 years! Anyone else deal with this?

I'm having trouble posting pics but I promise to get it together and get some of my hair pics up soon. I want to have fotki going soon!
Everyone be blessed and remember to love who God created you to be!
CurlyChefRobin
CurlyChefRobin

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkyNappyHappy 6th July 2010, 12:21 am

Seems like I'm kinda late, but I wanted to stop by and say welcome!!!
KinkyNappyHappy
KinkyNappyHappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 14 1, 2, 3 ... 7 ... 14  Next